The General Ross County Chat Thread

Vigurs had some good form playing off the striker in a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 in County's first season in the top flight. I think anyone would assume that's his best position, given his height, technique and lack of quickness.

However, I've long maintained he is best on the left of a midfield four or five. When he gets back I think he's pretty good at helping out the left-back - there were countless times where he helped Marc Fitzpatrick and Scott Morrison out of a hole. The problem is he doesn't always get there.

The reason I think he is best on the left is because he has the tendency to wander inside unannounced and unmarked. He overloads other areas of the pitch and his technique and vision made that a huge asset for County when they finished in the top six. His vision plus Ivan Sproule's darting runs was a brilliant partnership, with Richard Brittain, Rocco Quinn and Paul Lawson holding the centre. I remember Derek Adams switching Vigurs to the right flank to cut inside in a home win against Celtic and they didn't know how to deal with him picking up all sorts of pockets of space, Vigurs made the difference in that game, going 0-2 down and winning 3-2.

IIRC his best form for Motherwell in 2013-14 was when they put him on the left rather than playing him in the centre. He plays too many 'Hollywood' balls in the centre to be a reliable central midfielder.

Ultimately, he might be too similar to Stevenson but given the latter's injury record he would still probably be very handy to have.

A new no.1...where would that leave Scott Fox?

Interesting to see Vigurs mentioned in the same breath as Higginbotham. I had it in my head that he played centrally. Is he a winger?

Aye, as Spain said, I was talking about end of the season when we had both Brown and Reguero, and pre-Fox.

For Vigurs, as BB said. Would add Vigurs has been known to fill in at LB as well, but this has been more of a rarity later into his career.

Stevenson has tended to play in the centre for us, if you see Vigurs as a wide midfielder do you think he could play the Higginbotham role wide left or wide right in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 or is that too far up the pitch to make use of his best qualities? That's probably the position we're most desperately in need of a replacement (that and right back), but the thought of Vigurs and Stevenson in the same midfield is worrying from a pace point of view. Good to watch though.

It was wide left of the 4-3-3 shape that he had in his last days at County, but he wouldn't stay out there. If there was a front three of Vigurs, Stevenson and Lawless then there would be sexy football in abundance, but it would be easy enough for the opposition to squeeze high up the pitch and just keep an eye on Lawless's runs. Get Lyle Taylor ahead of them and the team has the best of everything.

Edited by bunglebonce

Yoda can finally update his CV: "Creator of a 200 page long thread on an internet message board about Ross County."

You're giving him far too much credit that he's factual on his CV.

RCFC News twitter account claiming we're after John Sutton. However I tend not to believe anything tweeted from that account as last year it said Joe Malin's return to County was a done deal...

^^ I'd rather we didn't go for him tbh ^^

Any news on Durnan from QoS or has that ship sailed with dundee united seriously looking to sign him?

Edited by frankthetank22

RCFC News twitter account claiming we're after John Sutton. However I tend not to believe anything tweeted from that account as last year it said Joe Malin's return to County was a done deal...

That's because whoever runs it believes everything they're told. We've got Boyce, Graham, Curran and it's a matter of time before McLeod gets a chance, I can't see us spending anywhere near the type of money Sutton would be after for another striker.

^^ I'd rather we didn't go for him tbh ^^

Any news on Durnan from QoS or has that ship sailed with dundee united seriously looking to sign him?

Daily Record had quotes from QOTS chairman saying they expect him to go to Dundee Utd.

I know that the Sutton rumour is most likely a load of shite and although he's a good striker at this level he is not needed at County. However I thought I'd bring it up here because nothing is happening and I'm terribly bored.

Brittain signing for Brora has been confirmed (I think plenty knew this was happening anyway). Turned down some offers from Premiership sides in the Central belt.

you wish! I would be disappointed if he didn't get signed to play for another SP team or at very least a good Sco. Championship team.

Can't see him moving to England in terms of disrupting family, but back to fitness and set-piece-sharpness, RB is potentially a good addition to most squads at our level.

Richard Brittain signs for Brora Rangers today. You heard it here first