The General Ross County Chat Thread

If he stays fit, Davies could be the signing of the summer.

The way I see it though, County are going to encounter similar challenges as they have in recent years in terms of assimilating a large number of new players into the squad. The one benefit this year is that they are all UK-based signings so won't have the added issue of players adapting to a new culture.

Still expect it to be County, Hamilton and ourselves slugging it out at the bottom.

The way I see it though, County are going to encounter similar challenges as they have in recent years in terms of assimilating a large number of new players into the squad. The one benefit this year is that they are all UK-based signings so won't have the added issue of players adapting to a new culture.

Still expect it to be County, Hamilton and ourselves slugging it out at the bottom.

Although the difference this time is we can put out a starting 11 which consists of 8 players who were starting almost every game near the end of last season. We're not going to be throwing 5, 6 or 7 straight into the starting 11 and hoping it works. We can afford a much more sensible transition. I'm not worried about that aspect at all this time.

Bold prediction time: 1. I think we'll be clear of any relegation battle and 2. We'll win more than or as many Highland Derbies as we lose this season.

There. I've said it.

Edited by Spain

The majority of our new signings are for competition/depth of squad. At least 7 of our first XI that finished the season will be likely first picks for next (Reckord, Boyd, Fraser, De Vita, Gardyne, Curran, and Boyce as established first XI with Quinn, Dingwall, and potentially Jackson Irvine (IF he returns) also realistic starters).

Also, most will have had a proper pre-season knowing they are under contract, unlike previous seasons where we were playing 'guess the trialist' for the majority of the summer. We should be very much better prepared than previous seasons (hopefully!).

Edited by dingdong1929

Also, most will have had a proper pre-season knowing they are under contract, unlike previous seasons where we were playing 'guess the trialist' for the majority of the summer. We should be very much better prepared than previous seasons (hopefully!).

That's a fair point too. If memory serves me right, it was fairly late in the day that we signed Celcer and re-signed Carey. I don't think either were signed before the Holland trip - although both went.

Edited by Spain

That's a fair point too. If memory serves me right, it was fairly late in the day that we signed Celcer and re-signed Carey. I don't think either were signed before the Holland trip - although both went.

Damn right its a fair point! One of my best.

I feel happy of myself.

Kiss and Celcer signed in the week leading up to the opener against St Johnstone, and Carey signed on the Friday before the game. Kiss and Carey did their pre-season training at other clubs.

From memory, I think we put that down to why Carey looked one of our fittest and sharpest players at the start of last season.

Those first few months were horrible.

Although the difference this time is we can put out a starting 11 which consists of 8 players who were starting almost every game near the end of last season. We're not going to be throwing 5, 6 or 7 straight into the starting 11 and hoping it works. We can afford a much more sensible transition. I'm not worried about that aspect at all this time.

Bold prediction time: 1. I think we'll be clear of any relegation battle and 2. We'll win more than or as many Highland Derbies as we lose this season.

There. I've said it.

This actually makes me nervous, queasy nervous. Shit, what have you done... :barf

SQUAD NUMBER UPDATE KLAXON...

Scott Fox will wear 1 this season.

Which is clearly not much of an insight but these things are important.

So far we have

1. The fantastic Mr Fox

6. Robertson's Jam

12. Richard Foster's watered down pishy lager.

Do any other readers have any squad number confirmations?

Edited by Savage Henry

Do any other readers have any squad number confirmations?

I'm not sure I'd take yesterday's photos as 'confirmation'. It's probably more a case of first-come first-served in the big bag of training kit. Davies would be a more obvious choice for 6, unless McIntyre intends to make a clear statement of intent by stripping Boyd of 5. And Fraser probably nabbed 2 on the first day of training before Foster arrived, although I do think he'll keep it for the start of the season and as a result Foster would probably stick with 12.

There is of course the possibility of Boyd or Davies being #4. It's a number that fair gets passed about these days. Not sure why 6 has become a CB number to be honest.

There is of course the possibility of Boyd or Davies being #4. It's a number that fair gets passed about these days. Not sure why 6 has become a CB number to be honest.

People fall into two camps: those who believe 6 is for central midfield and those who regard it as a defender's number. Those are inverse with 4.

I just remember most of our CB pairings all through the leagues being 4 & 5, prior to squad numbers of course, but also Grant Munro was 4 and Boyd was 5 in our first top flight season too.

I just remember most of our CB pairings all through the leagues being 4 & 5, prior to squad numbers of course, but also Grant Munro was 4 and Boyd was 5 in our first top flight season too.

You must loathe Rocco Quinn with a passion. Or was that just Adams being abrasive to Munro?

You must loathe Rocco Quinn with a passion. Or was that just Adams being abrasive to Munro?

I have nothing but respect for #4 shirt wearers, especially after it was passed to Sir Stuart of Kettlewell, King of Kings and first person registered for multiple cloning.

Anyway, thinking back, the only other time before top flight football that I can remember us having a CB playing as #6 was I think Keddie and Lauchlan.

Edit: I could of course just be wrong.

Edited by Spain