The General Ross County Chat Thread

Oikonomou would be just splendid. Not least for the atavistic reactions from the pensioners every time he dares to pass the ball out of his own box, rather than the Scott Boyd special 60 yard thump.

For all my fears about everyone leaving, we could equally just as well have better defenders in the Championship than the Premiership.

42 minutes ago, Spain said:

In one simple move, County have already changed the narrative within a week of being relegated. The type of ICT fans that would otherwise be trying to stick the boot in are already frothing at the mouth while also giving County fans a little something to cheer themselves up about. It's unlike us, but what a great PR move. Having ICT spit the dummy and announce the deal incorrectly before us was just the icing on the cake.

Last season you signed probably our best player and also had our club making a PR boo-boo with the announcement.  However, you then had your worst ever season and got relegated so I think that trolling the neighbours isn't an effective strategy to build a successful team.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Last season you signed probably our best player and also had our club making a PR boo-boo with the announcement.  However, you then had your worst ever season and got relegated so I think that trolling the neighbours isn't an effective strategy to build a successful team.

Signing a player is trolling?  We made your club make a PR boo-boo?  You’re struggling here.

5 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

Signing a player is trolling?  We made your club make a PR boo-boo?  You’re struggling here.

The post I was responding to said that signing Vigurs had "changed the narrative", that ICT making a PR mistake was the "icing on the cake" and that getting ICT fans "frothing at the mouth" was a great PR move.  But last summer almost exactly the same thing happened and you went on to get relegated after a disastrous season.  These things don't matter outside of forums and Twitter and even there they don't really matter.

33 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

Announcing Vigurs before any of the first team squad had announced their decision to stay/leave absolutely is about PR, and getting one over on ICT before they get a chance to mock us.  I don't think there's any doubt about that.  

When we signed Draper, it was at a time when ICT couldn't afford to sign a reserve winger.  Again, the timing was all about taking advantage of ICT's position. That is kind of trolling, albeit on a professional sports level.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Oikonomou would be just splendid. Not least for the atavistic reactions from the pensioners every time he dares to pass the ball out of his own box, rather than the Scott Boyd special 60 yard thump.

For all my fears about everyone leaving, we could equally just as well have better defenders in the Championship than the Premiership.

Although his ball forward for Der Wolf to score the winner against Celtic was a godlike fifty yard thump for him to run onto.

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I'm probably having a dense moment, but what is the correlation between those two statements?  Why would Jim care about Ketts and Fergie at the time?

I was meaning that one of the reasons Jim wasn't interested in Vigurs was because he viewed him as a Derek Adams' player. If I recall, did he not also take a bit of time to warm to Midge? He also set about breaking up what was left of the Invincibles pretty quickly too, some with harsher means than others.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Signing Draper isn't what did for us. Years of short-term thinking is. Signing Draper was also a hoot, but this one more-so as we didn't have to buy Vigurs.

8 minutes ago, Defender said:

Naismith contract runs till summer of 2020 apparently. Great news!

Unfortunately not.  It was advertised as such when he signed, but Fergie confirmed to journo Alasdair Fraser that the final year is an option.  I fully expect him to be sold this summer, which will be a blow, but should hopefully help facilitate our return to the top flight.

ETA: Apparently I'm behind the curve.  Good news, albeit I still expect him to go!

Edited by Forfinn

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Announcing Vigurs before any of the first team squad had announced their decision to stay/leave absolutely is about PR, and getting one over on ICT before they get a chance to mock us.  I don't think there's any doubt about that.  

Did ICT not announce it first? If that’s trolling, they’re trolling themselves.

Unfortunately not.  It was advertised as such when he signed, but Fergie confirmed to journo Alasdair Fraser that the final year is an option.  I fully expect him to be sold this summer, which will be a blow, but should hopefully help facilitate our return to the top flight.

Fraser’s just confirmed that Ferguson was wrong when he said that, and his contract indeed runs to 2020.

4 hours ago, Spain said:

Anyway now that Vigurs is back, and with a background staff of Ketts, Fergie & Brittain, who else from the band can we get back together? Top of the list of those still playing for me would be Melvin & Hainault. Oiko's only played 4 games for Panathanaikos so far too.

Hainault might not be the most outlandish shout.  I've got no idea what kind of relationship he has with our new management team from his last spell, but his current club Magdeburg FC (who have just won the German third tier) announced recently that he'd be leaving at the end of his contract in the summer.  He's 32 next month, so could be a good Davies replacement if he's away.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch up in the new Canadian Premier League, but it doesn't start until next Spring.

And speaking of flame haired central defenders, is there any chance of Scott Boyd making a glorious return or did a) the club themselves burn their bridges with him too? or b) is he not up to Championship level any more (I haven't seen much of him at Killie this season)?

ETA: Dammit, Hainault has signed for Kaiserslautern who, somewhat surprisingly, have just been relegated to the German third tier.

Edited by Forfinn

Kettlewell in the dugout. Brittain in the backroom staff. Vigurs and Gardyne in the team. Boyd taking on the "Ranald" role behind the scenes.

We're putting the band back together. We're on a mission from God.

2 hours ago, blackislekillie said:

Scott Boyd has signed a one year deal with Killie. Glad to keep him, good player IMO and a nice fella.

He's a cracking lad. I hope he does well you for next season.