The General Ross County Chat Thread

oh god i hope we've got someone lined up to replace stelios because sean kelly even at this level is basically hopeless at anything physical or pace related

Edited by Comrie

He look's thrilled aswell. I've never understood why they don't at least give a wee fake smile for the signing photos.

Granted It's not a Real Madrid shirt but at least you're still getting paid to play football!

Can't say i'm too sad, it is what it is.  Hopefully there is a replacement in the pipeline between now and February though

Screenshot_20190129-091355.jpg

Has anyone heard anything about further january signings/injury updates? Fontaine?

I read Ferguson saying we might be in the market for 1 more so hopefully a full back after Stelios going.

Also anyone know if Semple is decent at left back?  could be an option as he's a good ball playing defender

4 hours ago, StuartTaylor said:

It's about time we gave something back to the Silkmen, considering they gave us Jonathan Bateson and Ross Draper. The latter following an extended trial across the bridge to see if he could handle the highlands.

Wow, forgot about the club legend Bateson. That was a weird one

One more question

Is there really no hope for Sean Kelly?

I've not really seen him up close but is he just crap or could he be a good player for us with a run of games in the team?  I think he was quite well thought of at St Mirren when coming through alongside Jason Naismith etc

Edited by BuieCounty

Seems we are likely to sign Andy Boyle from Preston was on loan at Dundee first half of season he is a 6’1” Centre half.

Kenny or Sean Kelly left back options.

I know what I would do if I was the opposition manager oh dear.

5 hours ago, BuieCounty said:

Has anyone heard anything about further january signings/injury updates? Fontaine?

I read Ferguson saying we might be in the market for 1 more so hopefully a full back after Stelios going.

Also anyone know if Semple is decent at left back?  could be an option as he's a good ball playing defender

I wouldn't fancy him at left back up against a pacy winger. Very strong dominant centre back, his only weakness imo is he is a little on the slow side. 

I haven’t seen a backside as big as Semple’s since Mark Haro.  It gives him a low centre of gravity and he is strong as a bull... but he isn’t speedy.

I saw a tweet about Boyle on Sunday night.  If Boyle signs I guess that Morris is going to be out for the season.  Boyle didn’t set the heather on fire at Dundee.

Where does all that leave Grivosti?

14 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

I wouldn't fancy him at left back up against a pacy winger. Very strong dominant centre back, his only weakness imo is he is a little on the slow side. 

Okay, Cheers. he will hopefully do well for as at centre back and we'll manage at left back with the other options

11 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I haven’t seen a backside as big as Semple’s since Mark Haro.  It gives him a low centre of gravity and he is strong as a bull... but he isn’t speedy.

I saw a tweet about Boyle on Sunday night.  If Boyle signs I guess that Morris is going to be out for the season.  Boyle didn’t set the heather on fire at Dundee.

Yeah it doesn't look good for the injured centre backs but hopefully the ones coming in will be decent enough to keep the team winning and keep us tight a the back

43 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Morris and Fontaine might not play regularly for County again.  Fontaine could probably play in the Premiership if County go up, but I don't really fancy Morris prancing about up there.

Grivosti, on the rare occasions I've seen him, looks a little raw still to me.  For someone with such a track record in youth development, Ferguson (or Kettlewell) doesn't really seem to like playing young guys in the fist team.  

Edit:  Andy Boyle seems like an interesting signing.  Going by his twitter feed, he has his own name tattooed on his chest, has absolutely shocking taste in fashion, and he's been capped by the r.o.i.  Not horrific for a back up centre half, I guess.

Edited by Savage Henry

10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Morris and Fontaine might not play regularly for County again.  Fontaine could probably play in the Premiership if County go up, but I don't really fancy Morris prancing about up there.

Grivosti, on the rare occasions I've seen him, looks a little raw still to me.  For someone with such a track record in youth development, Ferguson (or Kettlewell) doesn't really seem to like playing young guys in the fist team.  

Edit:  Andy Boyle seems like an interesting signing.  Going by his twitter feed, he has his own name tattooed on his chest, has absolutely shocking taste in fashion, and he's been capped by the r.o.i.  Not horrific for a back up centre half, I guess.

Without trying to sound too negative about the squad i wouldn't say i'm too excited with the thought of many of them trying to compete in the premiership if we go up.

You would hope that from now until the end of the season the boys will be playing out of their skin to not only win the league but to prove they are worth keeping on for the step up if we're still there come the end.

I think if we do finish top there will be an overhaul but as to how dramatic that will be will depend on who shows their worth in the coming months

It will feel a lot different to going up previously anyway, where we had a really good footballing team and it was more about hanging on to talent than going out and finding it.

As for the Youth players getting a chance in the first team, i think if the managers thought they had any that were ready yet to be trusted properly out there on a regular basis and would be a better option than what we have then they would put them in there.

I would say this season was never going to be about bringing the youth in because the club are desperate to get back up as quickly as possible and that means we need experience over potential.

Overall i think they've done pretty well in the window and hopefully the additions will help us get back where we want to be!

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

I do miss the days of seeing MARK HARD on Sky Sports news.

6 hours ago, BuieCounty said:

One more question

Is there really no hope for Sean Kelly?

I've not really seen him up close but is he just crap or could he be a good player for us with a run of games in the team?  I think he was quite well thought of at St Mirren when coming through alongside Jason Naismith etc

He's the total opposite of Kenny- decent with the ball at his feet and can occasionally ping a worldie of a pass, but for a guy who must be near 6'3" he's abject at physical situations.

21 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I do miss the days of seeing MARK HARD on Sky Sports news.

He's the total opposite of Kenny- decent with the ball at his feet and can occasionally ping a worldie of a pass, but for a guy who must be near 6'3" he's abject at physical situations.

I remember Mark Haro was banned from taking long throws by Neale Cooper because he couldn't get back into position quickly enough.  It took away almost all his talent as a player.  That long throw was unreal.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

I remember Mark Haro was banned from taking long throws by Neale Cooper because he couldn't get back into position quickly enough.  It took away almost all his talent as a player.  That long throw was unreal.

It's not like he could actually run, it took him about a minute to get back in position.

2 hours ago, BuieCounty said:

Okay, Cheers. he will hopefully do well for as at centre back and we'll manage at left back with the other options

Interesting that Ayr United's big star forward Shankland hasn't managed to score a goal in three games when he was marked by Semple

Once you see  Semple week in week out you will see what a good signing he is.

He is a unit, great on the ball and in the air.

Has one of the best records in terms of keeping clean sheets and is actually quicker than you imagine.

Just turned 20 but he reads the game and is nerveless as if he has played hundreds of games.

Strange one IMO (in my opinion). Is a centre-back necessary? I’m a card carrying member of the “Tom Grivosti Bandwagon” so not overly keen on him being pushed down the pecking order.

However, maybe Fraser is going to get whatever injury issue he had properly sorted? That’s speculation, obviously. Or was Kelly hooked through injury on Saturday?

RB:

Fraser/Watson 

CB:

Watson/Boyle/Semple/Grivosti/VdW

LB:

Kelly/VdW