The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

So three clean sheets in the past three games isn’t regular enough for you? 🤔 

Hide contents

“Abusive” 😂

If you don’t understand what is abusive, or don’t care, and don’t understand that three clean sheets isn’t necessarily relevant to the long term performance of one outfield player, there is no point. Enjoy your rants.

11 hours ago, AndyX said:

It sounds like DA is just a bit frustrated that he's inherited a lot of players that he's not that keen on, and they're mostly signed up for next season on decent wages.  Players that he would let leave if he could. It's easy to agree that there's a good number of these players who haven't done much to earn their contracts.

That happens to mostly all managers who join a club. Short term contracts aren't the way either IMO.

I think County have a good enough team to stay up, but freezing players out like Brophy isn't a good start (unless injured). Brophy has goals in him, don't you all remember when he first signed on loan?

White, even dare I say Murray will go off form and there isn't many other attacking options.

I was pleased to see Turner get a chance, intelligent to rest Dhanda occassionaly. 3 goals up, they could do that. Though Turner was a bit wasteful, lets hope thats a one off as he is decent. Just not in Dhanda's class.

While Dhanda is sheer class, I still rate Karim Boukraa well above. He was unbelievably skillful for those that remember.

I will personally warm more to Adams once I see his signings over the next few transfer windows. I'm still sceptical. Most clubs get a new manager bounce. Good start, but long way to go IMO. Pleased Malky gone, just not convinced Adams will be as successful despite last nights excellent performance (1st half they were immense). Motherwell were however VERY poor, even for them. Perspective

St. Mirren away next will be much bigger test (despite the recent home win). Dundee then at home (Sat 16th), followed by Hibs at home (Sat 23rd).

Hope to see big crowds at those. Definately a team worth seeing at the moment for those that don't have season tickets (like I'm fortunate to be able to afford). For those who pick and choose their games I would try to go to both if money allows, though difficult on build up to Christmas I know...

13 hours ago, AndyX said:

It sounds like DA is just a bit frustrated that he's inherited a lot of players that he's not that keen on, and they're mostly signed up for next season on decent wages.  Players that he would let leave if he could. It's easy to agree that there's a good number of these players who haven't done much to earn their contracts.

That's basically like Ferguson at The Caley.  Dodds signed boys on 2 year deals last summer or this and it's clear The Big Man knows they aren't good enough.  

I saw someone on this thread upset that Adams was saying the days of 3 year deals are gone, it's a very sound strategy from him IMO.  3 year deals, if you're not the OF or Aberdeen or Hearts, is fucking mental.  Brad McKay at Falkirk for example 🤣.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That's basically like Ferguson at The Caley.  Dodds signed boys on 2 year deals last summer or this and it's clear The Big Man knows they aren't good enough.  

I saw someone on this thread upset that Adams was saying the days of 3 year deals are gone, it's a very sound strategy from him IMO.  3 year deals, if you're not the OF or Aberdeen or Hearts, is fucking mental.  Brad McKay at Falkirk for example 🤣.

The flip side is offering boys 6 months contracts to “keep them hungry” is rank rotten imho. Imagine that in any other workplace? Would do nothing for one’s domestic life.

16 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

The flip side is offering boys 6 months contracts to “keep them hungry” is rank rotten imho. Imagine that in any other workplace? Would do nothing for one’s domestic life.

It wouldn't happen in any other workplace though.  Footballers are effectively self-employed contractors who work for a 'company' on a fixed term contract.  If they do a good job, their contract gets extended, or they get headhunted by another 'company' and their current one gets compensation. If they don't do a good job, the they leave then their contract ends.

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It wouldn't happen in any other workplace though.  Footballers are effectively self-employed contractors who work for a 'company' on a fixed term contract.  If they do a good job, their contract gets extended, or they get headhunted by another 'company' and their current one gets compensation. If they don't do a good job, the they leave then their contract ends.

Indeed, its a gig economy.  However, if I was say.. a 31 year old Simon Murray with a wife and a couple of kids, I'd be looking for a gig that lasts more than 6 months.

23 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Indeed, its a gig economy.  However, if I was say.. a 31 year old Simon Murray with a wife and a couple of kids, I'd be looking for a gig that lasts more than 6 months.

Where's the 6 months coming from?  Is that an Adams quote or are you just using an arbitrary length of time?

2 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

993A6ACD-F1B2-465A-AC45-9DDA48704B34.thumb.jpeg.4648971c7dbe96d5aeb3fabc80d798c4.jpeg

It’s a direct quote.

Aye well that's fucking mental at the other end of the scale.  1-2 year deals should be the way for clubs.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye well that's fucking mental at the other end of the scale.  1-2 year deals should be the way for clubs.

It means the likes of Dhanda, who is head and shoulders above everyone else in the team, will leave for nothing and no prospect of forthcoming sell on fees.  Meanwhile we are looking at a squad rebuild job every season.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

However if you read the next paragraph he accepts that he won’t do it. So, wind up or not, he will go down the 1-2 year route.

14 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

It means the likes of Dhanda, who is head and shoulders above everyone else in the team, will leave for nothing and no prospect of forthcoming sell on fees.  Meanwhile we are looking at a squad rebuild job every season.

Totally agree, 6 month contracts are NOT the way to go. Ridiculous and worrying that he has said that :(

1 hour ago, USSR Tycoon said:

That Motherwell pumping was well overdue after their undeserved 3-3 draw a few weeks ago. How stupid was that red card for Nightingale?

Good all round team peformance. Leak was immense!

Just watched the highlights and neither challenge is worthy of a yellow card. 

55 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Does no-one remember the golden rule of "What Derek Adam's says in the press" is......

Hint "you'll need a large pinch of this when cooking pasta"

We've got our new toy, you've got to get carried away with the utter nonsense for a while. 

And yes, absolutely no clue what that red card was about. Bewildering.

On 11/08/2023 at 09:35, Pete the Jakey said:

Seem history hasn't treated Iacovitti well.  I thought he improved with every season he was with us.  Yeah he wasn't great going forward, but was pretty solid at the back and was certainly lot less culpable than Baldwin last season. 

Correct me if I am wrong but he was never red carded for us, and picked up only 12 yellow cards over 116 appearances, pretty good for a CB.

20 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

I think you must be the one pished , I commented on Baldwins performance tonight, said it was good, but he needs to do it regularly, you come back abusive and wittering about the team’s performance over three games. 

Maybe Pete was pished in August...