Hopping Mad: Scottish Groundhop 2023

38 minutes ago, Blue White Dynamite said:

Not going to get into an argument over all this.

No club is hiding behind ‘the league made us do this’, it’s a fact that no concessions is part of the agreement between the League and Groundhop UK.  This has been in place for years. It’s just relaying that it is what the clubs have been told to do.

Penicuik have also advertised all season that the game was going to be on the Sunday, the fact it was Mothers Day wasn’t ideal but certainly not something the club planned!

Can’t comment on what others club did or allegedly did, or how the league might react. But placing the blame on the home Clubs involved when it has been agreed for years is a bit poor. Have you asked the League why it is part of the deal?

You are never going to stop all the moaners in this day and age and I bet the numbers of persons that do, are minimal. Just looking at comments on twitter, there has been a huge positivity vibe around the Groundhop weekend and the benefits to each the home teams has to be applauded by all (or most). As BWD states, the event has been going on fora number of years now and should be applauded. 

32 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

You are never going to stop all the moaners in this day and age and I bet the numbers of persons that do, are minimal. Just looking at comments on twitter, there has been a huge positivity vibe around the Groundhop weekend and the benefits to each the home teams has to be applauded by all (or most). As BWD states, the event has been going on fora number of years now and should be applauded. 

It’s a good initiative - to be applauded. Getting interest and fans into lower level tiers of football can only be an excellent thing.

Nothings perfect,,,, it has its faults. But nothing was a surprise. It the clubs duty to communicate and highlight any local issues that may arise.
simply Pre - purchase the tickets and where’s the issue.

There’s nothing to contest. 

• 2 months later...

Saw this on Twitter for next season https://groundhopuk.wordpress.com/looking-forward/ 

Scotland 15-17 March 2024
Provisional schedule:
Friday: Armadale Thistle
Saturday: Luncarty – Kinnoull – Jeanfield Swifts – Sauchie Juniors
Sunday: Whitburn

Again, like the NWCL, pre-booking will open shortly. With the trip heading for Perth, interest
will be massive and pre-booking will open very early as this trip sold out in 72 hours this
year. If enough people are interested, we’ll look at a second coach.
We are also considering the layout of the Scottish weekend. We run with a single game on
the Sunday just to get back to London to catch the last trains for those going to work on the
Monday – but does anyone actually do that? Might we be better off having a full three game
Sunday and then staying over and coming back on Monday? It’s certainly worth
considering, and I’d be interested in your opinion on that!

12 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Saw this on Twitter for next season https://groundhopuk.wordpress.com/looking-forward/ 

Scotland 15-17 March 2024
Provisional schedule:
Friday: Armadale Thistle
Saturday: Luncarty – Kinnoull – Jeanfield Swifts – Sauchie Juniors
Sunday: Whitburn

Again, like the NWCL, pre-booking will open shortly. With the trip heading for Perth, interest
will be massive and pre-booking will open very early as this trip sold out in 72 hours this
year. If enough people are interested, we’ll look at a second coach.
We are also considering the layout of the Scottish weekend. We run with a single game on
the Sunday just to get back to London to catch the last trains for those going to work on the
Monday – but does anyone actually do that? Might we be better off having a full three game
Sunday and then staying over and coming back on Monday? It’s certainly worth
considering, and I’d be interested in your opinion on that!

Maybe throw Newburgh into the mix as we're not far from Perth and we do a fabulous programme & pie too... 😉

2 hours ago, Burgh1909 said:

Maybe throw Newburgh into the mix as we're not far from Perth and we do a fabulous programme & pie too... 😉

Suppose it depends on where their hotel is (think it's usually been EK) so that's why they've got the two Perthshire grounds without floodlights together and then Whitburn on Sunday as it's closer to the hotel for going home.

Guessing you'll be on a hop at some point with St Andrews, Tayport, etc.

Edited by Ginaro

I wonder if the hop organisers might rethink next year’s Scottish hop in the light of the negativity 

I i try to join the games where I can and I accept that the prices are agreed by the hop..

I can take a hit for a game or two to see the clubs doing so well  from the hop. I think the numbers at the games speak for themselves.

Personally if I was one of the hard working voluntary organisers and then read this I’d be off somewhere else. 

welcome to Scotland 

Edited by Jeanfield Park

9 hours ago, Jeanfield Park said:

I wonder if the hop organisers might rethink next year’s Scottish hop in the light of the negativity 

I i try to join the games where I can and I accept that the prices are agreed by the hop..

I can take a hit for a game or two to see the clubs doing so well  from the hop. I think the numbers at the games speak for themselves.

Personally if I was one of the hard working voluntary organisers and then read this I’d be off somewhere else. 

welcome to Scotland 

Why are you assuming it’s only a problem up here? If you follow the forums, especially NLM, you’ll find that this crops up on every hop.

The Scottish cringe, ye cannae beat it 😂