The Queen's XI vs The Queens - League Cup 2nd Rd, 30 Aug

Otis Blue

Queens hoping for a decent Ibrox turnout here and a nice wee cheque for the bank.

Was hoping that the PSV Eindhoven ties might have diverted the Ibrox focus from this but alas I think those ties will be done and dusted before the big regal re-match.

We've sold just over half our allocation for the wee corner, and the Doonhamers will be travelling in the hope of avoiding an AZ shitshow like last night's in Holland.  Given that our "defence" shipped 4 goals at home to those leviathans of European football that are Clyde in the third tier a couple of weeks back, this could be a hope too far ...

Was thinking there's zero interest in this tie (obviously the residents of G51 have a wee matter of an "orange" European derby to deal with first), but the QOS OS has just announced that we've now sold out our initial two allocations of 650 tickets for this, with a final allocation of 300 awaited.  Quite a decent away support for us these days to be fair ... must be the attraction of a Loyal Burger or a Bears Pakora or such like ...

18 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Slightly worrying that their B team smacked Dumbarton (top of League Two) 7-0 last night

It is what it is though.  In Scotland we have 2 of the 42 clubs whose budgets dwarf those of the rest of the Premiership and massively dwarf the budgets of the uber-diddies.  So they hoover up all of the best talent, because they can pay more - it's not surprising that they could field a second choice XI against Queens that has the potential to absolutely destroy our defence.  This is professional sport and so finance largely drives club performance.  If it was a boxing contest a match like this would probably not be allowed.  But we are where we are, and it is what it is, we just need to make the most out of it.

For me there are two key objectives here:

1 - Get as big a cheque as we can, and

2 - Hopefully avoid a battering that destroys the player's confidence for the next few games

5 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Slightly worrying that their B team smacked Dumbarton (top of League Two) 7-0 last night

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was pretty much Dumbarton's B team too.

Yeah this. Dumbarton clearly werent interested in it and fielded about 2 or 3 1st team players. They as good as chucked it before kick off.

In the age old manner of clutching at straws ... you'd have to imagine that, with the fast approaching clutch of big shiny ECL group ties to be fitted in around the domestic games, the Ibrox side would be looking to wrap some of their best talent in cotton wool whenever possible and so hopefully some of them would sit out this one.

Was sure that I'd posted in this thread, qots were always a kunt of a team to play against when we were in the lower leagues.  I believe that Monkey Tennis once cracked a smile when they put us out of the challenge cup.

Probably a fair few fringe and youth players for this one.

Was sure that I'd posted in this thread, qots were always a kunt of a team to play against when we were in the lower leagues.  I believe that Monkey Tennis once cracked a smile when they put us out of the challenge cup.
I really hope so. Your fringe players will get the job done. Your first team will absolutely destroy us.

On 26/08/2022 at 22:22, bennett said:

Nah, Bennett.

I think we'll field as strong a side as we can.