How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Small things but it’s genuinely quite heartening to see someone at least acknowledge it. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Small things but it’s genuinely quite heartening to see someone at least acknowledge it. 

Yes, he's a bit too keen to say that the OF fixture is rightly exciting, but the central point he's making is the same one some of us here are.  It's good to see it get a higher profile airing. 

It's interesting (but obviously not remotely surprising) that our wildly right wing chums on here haven't responded to Stu's question about how the more lowly top flight clubs simply improve up to OF standards with only tiny fractions of their resources.  

10 hours ago, Girth said:

Be great if there was some sort of rule where The Arsecheeks were unable to buy players from the rest of the league for sod all.  

9/10 times they pay peanuts and ruin players just to weaken the opposition. 

But but but..

Isn't it the dream of every footballer in Scotland to play for one half the OF? The horror of such a suggestion.

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe repetition but money and tv keep being mentioned as reasons for the situation. 

Before 1965 (arbitrary date before much tv) the league wasn't won by C/R on only 14 occasions and Hibs won 4 of them. It's nothing new.  

I have no idea how to 'fix' it other than C/R move to some other league.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, he's a bit too keen to say that the OF fixture is rightly exciting, but the central point he's making is the same one some of us here are.  It's good to see it get a higher profile airing. 

It's interesting (but obviously not remotely surprising) that our wildly right wing chums on here haven't responded to Stu's question about how the more lowly top flight clubs simply improve up to OF standards with only tiny fractions of their resources.  

I don’t have a problem with it. I think it would be a bit petty and childish to objectively say the game has no appeal to neutrals. Beyond the bigotry, there is clearly a spectacle there. The reason it holds little interest to me is in the context of a league championship that is fairly meaningless. 

The thing is, I don’t have a particular issue with them being the biggest clubs or winning more trophies than the rest. Plucking numbers from thin air but if they win say 70% of the league titles and 50-60% of the cups then we’d be in a far, far healthier place. 

Nobody wants their team handed a trophy or league title on a place, all they want is that a) if their club is run properly and they put a good team together that it has a punchers chance of being successful and b) if the old firm make an arse of it there is more jeopardy than just the other winning the title and having to negotiate an additional European qualifier for finishing 2nd. 

19 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

But but but..

Isn't it the dream of every footballer in Scotland to play for one half the OF? The horror of such a suggestion.

Some of them even play for both halfs...

15 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Its happened everywhere now. Last season Man City's league record was better than Celtic's. Most leagues everywhere are dominated by the same old faces. Tinkering with league structures won't fix that: if it did then the same shit wouldn't be happening everywhere. 

It totally is not btw, The Premier League is not in any way comparable to our league. If you look at like for like clubs across Europe for fan base, potential fanbase, and just the plain value of squads our clubs are basically in ruins. I mean no one is building anything atm really but when is the last team in Scotland to actually build a new stadium? Falkirk? 75% built for peanuts, Hearts had a renovation sure.  Look around Europe, look at facilities the stadiums, the infrastructure, we are being eclipsed.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/startseite/wettbewerb/SC1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jupiler-pro-league/startseite/wettbewerb/BE1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bundesliga/startseite/wettbewerb/A1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eredivisie/startseite/wettbewerb/NL1

Look at average squad age, average value. Not going to get into facilities but its for the large part mirrored.

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The play offs as presently constructed are a farce.  One up, one down, then second bottom versus second top in a one-off game at a neutral venue is the fairest option and one that doesn’t offer an advantage to the upper league team.

Two should be relegated, no shifty wee double header, nothing, down. Play off 2/3rd in the Championship if you must.

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe repetition but money and tv keep being mentioned as reasons for the situation. 

Before 1965 (arbitrary date before much tv) the league wasn't won by C/R on only 14 occasions and Hibs won 4 of them. It's nothing new.  

I have no idea how to 'fix' it other than C/R move to some other league.

That was in 70 years. That was 20%

In the 57 years since it wasn't won on 4 occasions, and 3 of them were Aberdeen. That's 7%.

By the time it gets to another 70 years it will be 6%

On 02/09/2022 at 09:38, DUFC_ said:

Salary cap is a non-starter anyway, what would it even look like? Rangers and Celtic capped a 20k p/w? the rest pay 10 players with that money, more. 

Restructure is the only option now. The league is boring AF, long, overly complicated, rigged. The guy running it appears useless, how long did we not even have a sponsor in place, complete incompetence. Belgium population around the same size as ours, slightly bigger but similar structure in the two bigger teams, absolutely light years ahead of our game, 18 club top tier, no financial meltdown, loads of interest, loads of investment.

Too many big clubs left to rot so that a few outside the OF can achieve mediocrity. Relegation playoffs are laughable. 

Belgium has about double Scotland's population.

21 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

The scale of it now is absolutely new (well, relatively so in historical terms).

It's quite wrong to suggest otherwise and just effectively involves cuddling up to the OF.

In those previous decades, the top two wasn't always the same.  The points gap between second and third wasn't always huge (and yes, I am ignoring the banter years, because the situation which preceded them has now been restored). There was no sequence of unbroken OF title wins comparable to where we now are.

Shrugging and pretending it's always been like this, simply helps ensure it always will be.

26 minutes ago, DUFC_ said:

I mean no one is building anything atm really but when is the last team in Scotland to actually build a new stadium? Falkirk? 75% built for peanuts, Hearts had a renovation sure.  Look around Europe, look at facilities the stadiums, the infrastructure, we are being eclipsed.

What are you on about now?

You want our clubs to renovate and move, even though many did so 20 odd years ago and in plenty cases,  the results have been regrettable?

You really are worrying about the wrong stuff.

32 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That was in 70 years. That was 20%

In the 57 years since it wasn't won on 4 occasions, and 3 of them were Aberdeen. That's 7%.

By the time it gets to another 70 years it will be 6%

He's not even right with his figures.

Non-OF sides have won the league during 17 seasons.  That's also ignoring the one Rangers and Dumbarton shared.

41 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What are you on about now?

You want our clubs to renovate and move, even though many did so 20 odd years ago and in plenty cases,  the results have been regrettable?

You really are worrying about the wrong stuff.

You definitely got out the wrong side of bed today.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

But but but..

Sadly for too many that's the extent of their 'ambition'.

2 hours ago, DUFC_ said:

It totally is not btw, The Premier League is not in any way comparable to our league. If you look at like for like clubs across Europe for fan base, potential fanbase, and just the plain value of squads our clubs are basically in ruins. I mean no one is building anything atm really but when is the last team in Scotland to actually build a new stadium? Falkirk? 75% built for peanuts, Hearts had a renovation sure.  Look around Europe, look at facilities the stadiums, the infrastructure, we are being eclipsed.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/startseite/wettbewerb/SC1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jupiler-pro-league/startseite/wettbewerb/BE1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bundesliga/startseite/wettbewerb/A1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eredivisie/startseite/wettbewerb/NL1

Look at average squad age, average value. Not going to get into facilities but its for the large part mirrored.

Two should be relegated, no shifty wee double header, nothing, down. Play off 2/3rd in the Championship if you must.

- My club is building a training facility.

- Dundee are apparently getting a new stadium at some point (we'll see!).

- Queen's Park are re-doing Lesser Hampden.

- FC Edinburgh moved back to a redeveloped Meadowbank.

- Cove are playing in a fairly new stadium.

- Kilmarnock in recent years re-did a stand to put in offices.

- Raith recently put in a new social club bit.

- Hibs recently upgraded Easter Road 

Just a few examples, although I don't get your point in general. Why should clubs move to a new stadium when they don't need to?  Bizarre take, especially when you consider the costs involved.

Removing the play offs renders so many games largely meaningless. That's going to do nothing for the game. The playoffs have been a great success.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He's not even right with his figures.

Non-OF sides have won the league during 17 seasons.  That's also ignoring the one Rangers and Dumbarton shared.

I just accepted his figures were right. That makes the post 1965 % even worse in comparison.

14 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It broadly reflects what many of us think. 

The problem, of course is that it will be instantly dismissed by those who run the game (even assuming they read it or gave a toss) because he is a golf writer and this is just a blogpost.