So will the football be off this weekend?

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

So as I thought, pretty much the same thing as when plenty of other have died. Lots of daft jokes and some calling her out etc. Were you as disappointed when the lad she was pumping (Duke something or other?) died?

Why is this so different? 

What a strange way to put it. 

6 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

My 6yo said 'Daddy, do you think that the passing of the Queen will lead to an irretrievable schism between the public and the very concept of monarchy, or can King Charles defy public perception and prove that the roots of the nation's servilty go beyond that of a single respected figurehead'?

What did you say?

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

No, you are of course entitled to your view but you fail to see things from the other perspective. Feel free to be sad, feel free to support others who are sad, but there's no need to halt the world for the death of a divisive figure who had a thoroughly good innings, way in excess of the life expectancy of her subjects. 

I'm not the sort of person who would deliberately seek to antagonise those who are actually mourning but there absolutely is an imposition here way in excess of the importance of the event.  And which completely disregards the views of those who are at best ambivalent about the passing of a hereditary head of state who despite the oceans of fucking nonsense said and written about her, was as remote and divorced from her subjects as it is possible to be without leaving orbit. 

Objectively the losses of Iain Banks, Scott Hutchison and Dolores O'Riordon were both more tragic and more culturally significantly for Scotland than the passing of the magic baton from one anachronism past retirement age and seemingly not quite all there, to another. 

The need for competitive sorrowful genuflecting at her death is clearly designed to reinforce the myth of her "service" and "dedication" to obscure any debate and suppress any dissent about whether in 2022 having a dynastic hereditary head of state with actual constitutional responsibilities is in fact fucking mental. 

There's absolutely nothing VILE FRANKLY about pointing out and deriding what a complete nonsense all of this is.

I agree that it's an imposition but::

Ian Banks maybe. Dolores o Riordan sang on two hit singles in the 90s, making her slightly less culturally significant than Jive Bunny. Never heard of that other boy.  The Queen did a speech on the telly every year that a lot of people watched. I reckon most people have at least heard of her. 

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

No, you are of course entitled to your view but you fail to see things from the other perspective. Feel free to be sad, feel free to support others who are sad, but there's no need to halt the world for the death of a divisive figure who had a thoroughly good innings, way in excess of the life expectancy of her subjects. 

I'm not the sort of person who would deliberately seek to antagonise those who are actually mourning but there absolutely is an imposition here way in excess of the importance of the event.  And which completely disregards the views of those who are at best ambivalent about the passing of a hereditary head of state who despite the oceans of fucking nonsense said and written about her, was as remote and divorced from her subjects as it is possible to be without leaving orbit. 

Objectively the losses of Iain Banks, Scott Hutchison and Dolores O'Riordon were both more tragic and more culturally significantly for Scotland than the passing of the magic baton from one anachronism past retirement age and seemingly not quite all there, to another. 

The need for competitive sorrowful genuflecting at her death is clearly designed to reinforce the myth of her "service" and "dedication" to obscure any debate and suppress any dissent about whether in 2022 having a dynastic hereditary head of state with actual constitutional responsibilities is in fact fucking mental. 

There's absolutely nothing VILE FRANKLY about pointing out and deriding what a complete nonsense all of this is.

Totally agree with this post apart from the very 1st and last sentence. 

I 100% understand that there are many people who could not care less about the Queen passing. And more so that are angry that there are many events sporting or otherwise cancelled as a result. 

What I cannot agree with or understand are are posts that are unnecessary and overboard in terms of the vitriol, hatred,  and even celebratory nature around her death. There is a huge difference and you seem intelligent enough to be able to understand that. 

I and the very few others on here (that have kicked up a fuss) would not even have posted or responded had all the posts been like yours. That is 100% a fact. 

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

What I cannot agree with or understand are are posts that are unnecessary and overboard in terms of the vitriol, hatred,  and even celebratory nature around her death. There is a huge difference and you seem intelligent enough to be able to understand that. 

partridge-i-dont-know.gif

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I 100% understand that there are many people who could not care less about the Queen passing. And more so that are angry that there are many events sporting or otherwise cancelled as a result. 

The amount of people that died through COVID and the games continued seems insignificant M8. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I agree that it's an imposition but::

Ian Banks maybe. Dolores o Riordan sang on two hit singles in the 90s, making her slightly less culturally significant than Jive Bunny. Never heard of that other boy.  The Queen did a speech on the telly every year that a lot of people watched. I reckon most people have at least heard of her. 

Scott Hutchison was the lead singer/song writer of Frightened Rabbit. 

I'd question your measurement of the cranberries and Dolores fame and influence based solely on 2 singles, in the UK chart. For starters I never cracked one out to Her Maj (until yesterday of course @welldaft 😉).

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Scott Hutchison was the lead singer/song writer of Frightened Rabbit. 

I'd question your measurement of the cranberries and Dolores fame and influence based solely on 2 singles, in the UK chart. For starters I never cracked one out to Her Maj (until yesterday of course @welldaft 😉).

It's a challenging one but ultimately worth it. 

The Jive Bunny could totally batter the Frightened Rabbit as well. I have actually heard of them though, on the crap song thread. 

Dolores was fit admittedly but the Cranberries were fairly shit weren't they? Corrs were much better value with their 3 for 1 offer. 

On 08/09/2022 at 19:29, Kapowzer said:

It was when Diana died and she’d left the circus years before.

Anybody attempting to get to a match that weekend would have been strung up by grief stricken mourners imho

That was close.

Just confirmed golf competition is on today so Morton v Queens PK might be off but I will still manage to avoid watching BBC's

24 x 7 alternative sports coverage for Saturday.

Will show respect by wearing a black top.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It's a challenging one but ultimately worth it. 

The Jive Bunny could totally batter the Frightened Rabbit as well. I have actually heard of them though, on the crap song thread. 

Dolores was fit admittedly but the Cranberries were fairly shit weren't they? Corrs were much better value with their 3 for 1 offer. 

I am sorry but I am now going to have to turn my back on you. 

The Corrs. JFC. 

BabyishWarlikeHummingbird-size_restricted.gif