Queen’s Park v The Ton, 4-10-22

8 minutes ago, Spiders67 said:

No complaints tonight, beaten by a hungrier, more committed side. Showed signs of the side we are capable of being after going 2-0 put a rocket up our arse - but too little too late. 

Agree with this. Morton thoroughly deserved the 3 points. We can moan about time wasting all night, but they will only waste time if we let them score .

We found ourselves playing into Morton's hands far too often, playing the ball long into channels or up to Murray for knock downs is absolute meat and drink for their two centre halfs who I thought both had good games. Boateng and Thomson again had two good showings and tried their hardest in the middle of the park. Eze extremely uncomfortable on the ball all game and was poor in aerial duals for a man of his stature, Muirhead bullied him. 

Like many, I have been on and off the fence a few times with Eze. But I'm sorry he just gives me the fear. When he does win a header, you never feel sure that he actually knows where it's going and when he has the ball at his feet, I'm just desperate for him to pass it to someone who might have some idea what to do with it. I'd be happy to see Bannon or Naismith play alongside Kilday until Fox is back.

Moving on to Saturday, for me I think Coyle got it wrong with the team and formation tonight and we have to revert back to 2 up top with Williamson surely being given the nod ahead of Kenny on the basis of their cameos tonight 

Agreed, Williamson looked sharp when he came on.

58 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Fair post.

But it's a straight red for that profile pic.

I'll take getting embarrassed off your team tonight, but slander against league winning manager Ray McKinnon is unacceptable.

I believe the Championship patter is to offer a square go, so name the Inverclyde street for a meeting in December and bring yer maw.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

I'll take getting embarrassed off your team tonight, but slander against league winning manager Ray McKinnon is unacceptable.

I believe the Championship patter is to offer a square go, so name the Inverclyde street for a meeting in December and bring yer maw.

Thank you.

A few things:

1. Inverclyde doesn’t exist;

2. Ma maw’s deid;

3. If the square go’s with Raymondo, I’m in…

A few posts mentioning “game management” tonight. If Raith and ICT are anything to go by, this involves going down if an opposition player as much as breathes on you. Not just collapsing in a heap though. This must be accompanied by a variety of dramatic sound effects, clutching of the head to force the ref to stop the game and writhing around in simulated agony. On occasion, a few rolls across the pitch can be added to increase the illusion, or beating the pitch with your fist for added effect.  

Should have had it won first half without having to hang on towards the end Strapp misses a sitter first half with a Header for 2-0... Good defensively & fought for every ball Robbie Crawford & Grant Gillespie ran the Midfield a massive 3 Points hopefully back it up on Saturday with another Fighting Performance Like Tonights.. 

3 hours ago, Dave said:

Never knew Ruel Street was in Inverclyde

Dreadful from us last night. Can have no complaints about getting nothing from the game. For the first time this season, we looked the less hungrier side and I’ve no idea why, it was such an opportunity to go top of the table and set us up really nicely for the Ayr game. 

Morton are obviously frustrating with time wasting etc but it honestly doesn’t matter cause we just played right into their hands. Confused as to why Savoury was moved into the middle when he’s been outstanding on the wing all season? Fair enough dropping Kenny but you’ve got to play Williamson if that’s going to happen. He made such a difference when he came on. McPake hasn’t done anything remotely impressive so far. Can’t really beat a man and his passing is all over the place, deservedly hooked at half time 

I just want Charlie Fox back in the team ASAP, or at very least until he’s back, give an opportunity to Bannon or Naismith. Eze was terrific against Raith but he was ropey to put it lightly last night. Easily bullied off the ball for Morton to go 1 v 1 in the build up to Morton’s corner from which they scored from (how many corners have we conceded now?). He just looked all over the place for majority of the game. I can’t help but get the fear with the guy a lot of the time 

Only Mal Boateng and maybe later on in the game, Jack Thomson get pass marks. The rest were just incredibly poor but to put into perspective, we’re 2nd in the league and to take 16/27 points from the first quarter is really good going so far. 

Fair play to Morton, they harassed us the entire game without tiring and hit us on the break countless times in the first half. Muirhead was terrific up top and I don’t think he really lost a header. Some reaction from the thistle game 

Can only echo the comments above. Morton deserved that. First half especially we seemed to be playing like the ball was a bomb. Lucky if we made 2 passes before it was launched long. A few times we got into decent positions at the edge of their box but either tried to overplay or had a half arsed shot blocked. 

Don’t know why Coyle changed things up. Williamson has to start on Saturday. Did more when he came on as a sub than McPake has all season. I’m not writing Johnny Kenny off at all, but he hasn’t looked great. 😬

Last time I saw Queens play they kept the ball on the deck and looked really good - last night was a big hoof up the park that the Ton 4 and 5 loved. Questions need to be asked of Coyne. Thought Blues in the middle of the park was motm

12 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Morton fans with the full rangers song book tonight, cringe 

What utter nonsense.  There is one tune that is the same (but with different words) as a Rangers ditty, but "full Rangers songbook"?  Get tae f**k, you pinstripe-suited chartered accountant.  Is there not a rugger game you should be at tonight? :)

54 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

Last time I saw Queens play they kept the ball on the deck and looked really good - last night was a big hoof up the park that the Ton 4 and 5 loved. Questions need to be asked of Coyne. Thought Blues in the middle of the park was motm

Piss off with yer Tommy Coyne vandetta eh? 

Maybe a wee dose of realism last night. We’ve done very well and have some really good footballers, but when you look down the squad, you actually forget just how little experience a lot of them have at this level. From the starters, Ferrie, Davidson, Mal Boateng, Thomson, Savoury are still very new to it.

We’re good when the game is played on our terms. Front foot, passing and moving, but that’s not to carry you through a season. The basics of setting up solidly and winning your battles are just as important. Kept two clean sheets in the previous two league games, so we can definitely do it. We really need to be getting into good habits and not having these good defensive performances in one or two game bursts, though. 

In fairness, we’ve reacted well to our previous two defeats. Beaten by Ayr, beat Thistle the week after. Lost at Dundee, won at Hamilton. Disappointing last night but important not to let the heads drop, particularly if we do hit the skids for a few games, as is inevitably going to happen in this league at some point.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

What utter nonsense.  There is one tune that is the same (but with different words) as a Rangers ditty, but "full Rangers songbook"?  Get tae f**k, you pinstripe-suited chartered accountant.  Is there not a rugger game you should be at tonight? :)

👍

aye, that ridiculous post of his deserves more of a reaction than it’s had. The guy’s talking absolute nonsense.

Don’t shoot me down in flames here but can we ask slightly more thought provoking questions in the post match interviews? I always feel for a guy of Owen Coyle’s personality, we should be asking a lot more in depth questions and in last night’s case, try get a deeper understanding into his reasoning to tinker with the formation and personnel. That’s not me saying grill the guy, it’s just to try get more of an overall insight into things

That’s not a disservice to the guys who take time out to do the interviews. I just always feel he gets asked a couple of vague questions and then swiftly it moves on to “another tough game next week against…” and that’s the end of it 

And before anyone starts screaming that they’re only volunteers. Yes I do know they are volunteers. It’s just a pointer for future interviews 

Coaches have their own battles as well as the players and I’m afraid Coyle was outmanouvered by Imrie on this occasion. As well as the obvious fall to aggression, they doubled up on Savoury and especially Thomas and generally settled for disrupting us and making the most from loose balls. To be fair to Coyle his substitutions made a difference but that in itself begged the question, why did he change a winning formula to start with?

The old chestnut of defending set plays was also tested and every corner from Morton was delivered perfectly into the centre of the six yard box. Maybe that’s their norm but it looked like something else Imrie had worked on last night. I’ve praised Ferrie recently but any keeper who can’t get to a corner kick in his six yard box will always struggle.

A lot is made of how important a set-play is by tv pundits currently but it’s always been important. It’s a free kick of the ball allowing time and space to pass into a dangerous area and create goalscoring opportunities. Maybe rather than focussing on how many we lose at our end we should be working harder on how few we win at the other end. 

Folk are coming to terms with how poor Eze. It’s his positional play that really concerns me. Forwards ghost past him with ease due to his ballwatching. There’s a great example in Saturday’s highlights which we got away with but Kilday wasted no time in sharing his feelings. Not just for the first offence but for then chasing the ball carrier, who Kilday was on, and leaving the centre wide open. There was a few examples of it last night. After all his years of experience, if he’s still getting caught rooted like that now he’s never going to improve.

Williamson took the game to them and it changed the momentum completely. Suddenly Thomson and Boateng had space to do their stuff. Moore was also a big influencer in that dynamic too. Sadly, Kenny elected to drop deep hoping for room to take long shots. He’s done this every game he’s came into and it hasn’t worked. McPake is currently favourite for the Luis Longstaff WTF Trophy this season.

18 hours ago, Dave said:

Great goal from Mal Boateng but nothing changed for the last half hour. Deserved nothing and got it.

The only positive will be if we turn up on Saturday with the reaction that Morton showed up with today after their shocker. 

Try telling that to the bellend that manages your team. His post match analysis is laughable.

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The old chestnut of defending set plays was also tested and every corner from Morton was delivered perfectly into the centre of the six yard box. Maybe that’s their norm but it looked like something else Imrie had worked on last night. 

It isn't - or certainly wasn't earlier in the season, when our set-piece delivery was hugely disappointing. Perhaps we've just now got round to coaching them, as it's a clear sign IMO of a coach doing their job or not. 

Alternatively it was a one-off and they'll be honking again on Saturday.