Hibernian v Motherwell 08/10/22

Such as last week?  Hardly our fault teams cant compete fairly against us. 

We must be a frustrating team to play against, pacy forwards, midfield who aren’t afraid to get stuck in and a physical defence. No wonder our opponents get so many red cards.

Such as last week?  Hardly our fault teams cant compete fairly against us. 

We must be a frustrating team to play against, pacy forwards, midfield who aren’t afraid to get stuck in and a physical defence. No wonder our opponents get so many red cards.

It was a red card. 
But it was also a penalty.

What frustrates me is that hardly any Motherwell players claimed for it.

If that was Porteous he would have been in the refs face. Gamesmanship. We need to be better at that.

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

It was a red card. 

If that was Porteous he would have been in the refs face. Gamesmanship. We need to be better at that.

He's rattling round inside your skull, eh?

It was a red card. 

Tbf it’s sometning Hibs fans thought for a long time, quite soft, never getting in the refs face seems to have changed recently.

I didn’t see the penalty shout so couldn’t comment but the boy I sit next to reckoned it was one tbf.

18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

He's rattling round inside your skull, eh?

He is a good player. And if he did those things at Motherwell I would be 100% behind him. 

So not really. More disappointed that we seemed to be a wee bit shit today.

Hibs wage bill will be double ours but we should have still done better. 

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

He is a good player. And if he did those things at Motherwell I would be 100% behind him. 

So not really. More disappointed that we seemed to be a wee bit shit today.

Hibs wage bill will be double ours but we should have still done better. 

Think you will finish in the top 6 at least. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

It was a red card. 

The tug back was red card but did Boyle’s slip bring Shields down first?  Couldn’t tell if there was contact or if everyone just slipped.

Just watched the highlights.

I think VAR gives the penalty for Shields by Hanlon, and it would have been no surprise if it had been given yesterday - we got away with one there.

As the guys in the studio said, it was much more a penalty than the one on Colak at Ibrox, quelle surprise.

Motherwell red was nailed on, last man, jersey pull and fair play to Hammel for saying that in the interview.

A lot has been said about the number of reds against us, but we are such a fast attacking / counter attacking team at the moment which is what is leading to these errors by defenders. 

Only gripe just now (and its one of LJs as well) is that although we are a good attacking team, its not our strikers who are actually doing the scoring !!

On Motherwell, I was really impressed with Efford, he is so quick and skilful. 

Onwards to the free scoring DABs on Tuesday evening.

Edited by Leith Green

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

A lot has been said about the number of reds against us, but we are such a fast attacking / counter attacking team at the moment which is what is leading to these errors by defenders.

Very similar to the reason we're getting so many penalties this season. Hammell has us playing in a way where the attacking players are forcing defenders to make difficult split second decisions in the box, and when they get those wrong it really works to our advantage.

Such a turnaround from under Alexander where (for some reason), we weren't aiming to play inside the opponents box at all.

I felt yesterday was the definition of a transitional period where you're still moving away from one style and heading towards another. Sometimes it all clicks into place as it did against County, sometimes it's just not quite there like yesterday. As long as we're still heading in the right direction and trying to do the right things, I'm happy enough.

If the downsides of this period are a narrow defeat with 10 men away at Easter Road against a Hibs side that are doing well at the moment, then I've no real complaints overall. You can't expect to fix Alexanderism completely in a couple of months.

Edited by Al B

8 minutes ago, Al B said:

As long as we're still heading in the right direction and trying to do the right things, I'm happy enough.

In managerial speak "its a marathon not a sprint".

Motherwell are one of the best teams we have faced this season, you will be challenging at the right end of the table at the business end, no doubt in my mind.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

On Motherwell, I was really impressed with Efford, he is so quick and skilful. 

The Joey Efford redemption arc continues apace lads.

55 minutes ago, Al B said:

Very similar to the reason we're getting so many penalties this season. Hammell has us playing in a way where the attacking players are forcing defenders to make difficult split second decisions in the box, and when they get those wrong it really works to our advantage.

Such a turnaround from under Alexander where (for some reason), we weren't aiming to play inside the opponents box at all.

I felt yesterday was the definition of a transitional period where you're still moving away from one style and heading towards another. Sometimes it all clicks into place as it did against County, sometimes it's just not quite there like yesterday. As long as we're still heading in the right direction and trying to do the right things, I'm happy enough.

If the downsides of this period are a narrow defeat with 10 men away at Easter Road against a Hibs side that are doing well at the moment, then I've no real complaints overall. You can't expect to fix Alexanderism completely in a couple of months.

Massively this.

I mean, of that starting XI only Penney is a Hammell signing and we're running with a smaller squad but the turnaround in style and general approach is clear (albeit we're 1 point down on Alexander after 10 games last season).

We've changed both shape and style but the fact that we're not materially worse off than the same stage last season despite binning our manager 2 days before the opening game of the season is a credit to Hammell.

We're a definite work-in-progress though.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We're a definite work-in-progress though.

Absolutely, this whole season will be, but I think the key to it working is for everyone to accept that at this stage, and appreciate that what's happening now isn't for this season...but next season and those that follow. I think there's been plenty buy-in to that so far but knowing our support it won't be too long before "That'll no dae!" becomes the cry....

I think we shaded it and probably deserved the three points.

We started really brightly but the injury to Spittall allowed Motherwell to tweak things and nullified the threat of Youan and Boyle getting in behind.

Motherwell certainly looked much better than Aberdeen when they went down to 10 men. Stone wall red.

Sauzee like header from Porteous to win the game, he’s getting better and better at the moment. 

Definitely not at our fluid best but both teams should end up quite safely in the top 6 come the end of the season. I think the subs we made were poor but can understand wanting to get minutes in the legs of Melkerson and McKirdy.

I felt that we were extremely wasteful upfront during the game. I don't think a single corner beat the first man or even reached the players at all. Why can't we get corners somewhat in the middle or back of the box?

Definitely agree that this is a rebuild but after the County game I expected a bit more? Sheild was also a massive let down and I think Hammil will have to rethink some of his subs. Everyone was begging him to be subbed off by half time, then the first 10 minutes of the second half occurred.