Dumbarton v Albion Rovers

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

'We've had great chances' and 'didn't give up a lot of chances'.

Really ?  Other than Ross McLean sidefooting past the post in the first half I'm struggling to think of another clear cut chance from ourselves.

Rovers cracked the post in the first minute, then scored from open play and were denied both by a manic goalmouth scramble and a fantastic second-hand reaction save by Brett Long.

Was I at a different game ?

A couple of fellow p n b users said in the bar post match that Stevie Farrell speaks very well and could probably talk his way out of difficult criticism and I think that's true. He's very erudite and talks a good game, but he'll need the team to do their talking on the pitch.

Lol what a load of guff.

“We are creating chances and getting in the right areas” last three games 

Vs forfar 12 shots/4 on target

Vs Stirling 3 shots/0 on target

Vs Albion 7 shots/3 on target

I mean I would suggest the on target stats need to be hirer before you can claim that.

“We have some good players” but when you don’t have the ability to change your playing style during a game then that’s an issue. We set up yesterday to lump long balls to JG, Byrne came on, different type of striker and we still lump the ball up.

less said about Wallace, the better. Absolutely hopeless yesterday.

Also I wasn’t expecting him to get a grilling but come on “do you think the fans expect to be winning”  what a shit leading question. Find me a Sons fan that expects to be winning week in week out. I expect the players and management team to turn up and try their best. Not try and shit fest there way through a game.

SF might make a good director of football as he clearly has good ideas off the pitch but he isn’t a manager and is being found out again.

My problem is he thinks all the problems stem from "belief" when it's quite clear we've been struggling as he's changed the team and style. At Stranraer he was forced into changes but the last two or three weeks there was nothing stopping him naming the team which won us 7 straight, but he's tried different things with Wallace and Love "in the 10" and inexplicably leaving out our top scorer. That said, if he does think it stems from belief then perhaps dropping key players like Joe McKee and Declan Byrne (and sticking with folk like Ross MacLean who hasn't kicked his arse in about 8 months) doesn't help team confidence. A win yesterday would've calmed everyone down and perhaps given fans the belief we can pull through this bad run but it is now make or break time for Stevie Farrell, he needs to get things right or this will go sour for him quickly. 

I still think a bit of calmness is required but there are some serious red flags and a poor result this Friday will send most supporters into a frenzy. I don’t think Farrell has learned a thing from last year because he is doing the EXACT same pish he done when things got tough last season. As soon as I saw the team sheet yesterday I knew we weren’t winning and this insistence on playing the long ball for 90 minutes is absolutely mind boggling. 

This Friday is absolutely massive for Farrell, if he loses that then nothing but a league win will get the fans back onside, which is looking less and less likely by the week. The league table is still looking good from a Sons perspective so there is a chance for him to calm this entire situation down by stopping being an absolute fucking idiot and going back to basics and doing what resulted in 7 wins on the trot. It might not be pretty but it’s effective and it doesn’t require 90 minutes of aimless hoofs to nae c**t.

34 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I still think a bit of calmness is required but there are some serious red flags and a poor result this Friday will send most supporters into a frenzy. I don’t think Farrell has learned a thing from last year because he is doing the EXACT same pish he done when things got tough last season. As soon as I saw the team sheet yesterday I knew we weren’t winning and this insistence on playing the long ball for 90 minutes is absolutely mind boggling. 

This Friday is absolutely massive for Farrell, if he loses that then nothing but a league win will get the fans back onside, which is looking less and less likely by the week. The league table is still looking good from a Sons perspective so there is a chance for him to calm this entire situation down by stopping being an absolute fucking idiot and going back to basics and doing what resulted in 7 wins on the trot. It might not be pretty but it’s effective and it doesn’t require 90 minutes of aimless hoofs to nae c**t.

Yep a back to what was working approach is the simple and obvious solution. We're fortunate that we had such a great start and that this league isn't overflowing with quality teams, so we'll still be in the race.

We've added another point to the tally and didn't lose. We didn't play well, but neither did Rovers so it's not a huge deal. 

Friday night will be interesting. Hopefully he goes back to the team we were using early in the season and focuses on a return to our simple tactics of being compact, defensively stout and getting the ball into the penalty box for Byrne. Hoofball isn't a tactic that suits the players we have so it's odd that we've opted to use route one as our main focus recently.

Edited by Sweet Pete

50 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Yep a back to what was working approach is the simple and obvious solution. We're fortunate that we had such a great start and that this league isn't overflowing with quality teams, so we'll still be in the race.

We've added another point to the tally and didn't lose. We didn't play well, but neither did Rovers so it's not a huge deal. 

Friday night will be interesting. Hopefully he goes back to the team we were using early in the season and focuses on a return to our simple tactics of being compact, defensively stout and getting the ball into the penalty box for Byrne. Hoofball isn't a tactic that suits the players we have so it's odd that we've opted to use route one as our main focus recently.

I'm very much in the mind of thank f**k we had that great start rather than think we can return to anything like it.  That's because the results were generally more impressive than the performances.

Having said that there is one obvious adjustment that needs to be made.  Gray and McKee need to start to allow Gray to push forward onto teams as he was in the opening games.  It's no coincidence his influence has waned as Stevie Farrell has started to play hokey-cokey with McKee, I suspect in order to shoe-horn in two of his bigger earners in Love and at times Wallace, neither of whom are impressing.

Whatever it is it isn't working. 

59 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm very much in the mind of thank f**k we had that great start rather than think we can return to anything like it.  That's because the results were generally more impressive than the performances.

Having said that there is one obvious adjustment that needs to be made.  Gray and McKee need to start to allow Gray to push forward onto teams as he was in the opening games.  It's no coincidence his influence has waned as Stevie Farrell has started to play hokey-cokey with McKee, I suspect in order to shoe-horn in two of his bigger earners in Love and at times Wallace, neither of whom are impressing.

Whatever it is it isn't working. 

Absolutely. The 4-1-4-1 we were using where Blair mops up from deep, McKee plays balls from the middle and Gray pushes on to support Byrne is clearly the best formation/tactic for this team.

Yesterday was woeful from a performance point of view but okay from a result point of view given that line-up.

Why he isnt picking Byrne is a mystery.I cant see that the guy has done much wrong.There are issues for sure behind the scenes but this is just deja-vu all over again IMO.Same screw-ups that led to a bad season last year.The football on display reminds me of Aitken and every nerve in my body is screaming for change.The bigger picture would be of course could we afford to sack farrell and who would we get.

No change will happen as long as we are top 4.And even if we lose our cup-tie I dont think there will be change.We have to grin and bear it.

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

Yesterday was woeful from a performance point of view but okay from a result point of view given that line-up.

Why he isnt picking Byrne is a mystery.I cant see that the guy has done much wrong.There are issues for sure behind the scenes but this is just deja-vu all over again IMO.Same screw-ups that led to a bad season last year.The football on display reminds me of Aitken and every nerve in my body is screaming for change.The bigger picture would be of course could we afford to sack farrell and who would we get.

No change will happen as long as we are top 4.And even if we lose our cup-tie I dont think there will be change.We have to grin and bear it.

Yeah, no chance he’d been gone if we lose to Cumnock. I think there’d be a lot of fury from the support, though.