First Quarter Review

• How do you rate your team's start out of 10? 
    8/10 - we are pretty much where I would have expected to be, with the Edinburgh defeat the only real surprise result (at that time).  Goals have been more forthcoming than was expected, most of the incoming signings have had a decent start with a couple of really good ones in Stanger and Rodden, and pretty happy with the size/make up of the squad as a whole 

How safe is your manager's job? 
Very safe - would say given our managerial history (Ferguson aside) the Alloa job must be one of the safer ones in the country  

Best performance? 
Hard to look past the 5-0 win versus Peterhead, but I thought the 2-1 win against Montrose was our best. 

Worst performance? 
1-1 away to Queen of the South, a shocking performance 

Best player? 
Stefan Scougall has shown his quality, unfortunately also picked up a couple knocks along the way.

From the new signings George Stanger has been a standout at centre half

Which opposition side/player has impressed you? 
Teams - Dunfermline have looked solid and Edinburgh absolutely blew us away at the Recs

Players - Benedictus has been the stand out for me, John Robertson looked really good, as did Adam Frizzell. More left-field, was impressed with Jack Newman at Peterhead before his loan was cut short

Where will your team finish? 
4th or 5th - think we will be in or around fighting for last playoff spot

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

😂

Yep. Around 6th-8th I was thinking. No-one pulled me up then, but will now. Gladly proved wrong! The team that got us relegated were dross, and I'm not convinced many of them are good enough for the Championship SHOULD we bounce straight back. They're obviously proving so far that they can sustain a top-end challenge in League 1. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Yep. Around 6th-8th I was thinking. No-one pulled me up then, but will now. Gladly proved wrong! The team that got us relegated were dross, and I'm not convinced many of them are good enough for the Championship SHOULD we bounce straight back. They're obviously proving so far that they can sustain a top-end challenge in League 1. 

I never saw you predicting 6th-8th but that was a wild prediction even before the season started.

We're nothing special but the league is dross. Anything below Top 4 is a sackable offence.

How do you rate your team's start out of 10?
10/10 - Considering we were favourites for bottom 3 by all the ‘experts’ they’ve surprised everyone by taking the top spot albeit by Dunfermline’s game in hand.
Very, more chance of him being poached if anything.
Best performance?
Alloa away. Coming off the back of a bad defeat after our debut league 1 game at Meadowbank, they set down a marker that they could actually compete in this league.
Worst performance?
Falkirk at home, just never looked at the races that day.
Best player?
John Robertson, he would have been my best player last season apart from Brian Schwake’s heroics in goal but has been in phenomenal form this season. Extra brownie points to Handling, Fontaine and Mutch as well.
Queen of the South, looked like the best team I’ve seen this season. Absolutely perplexed why they’re not higher in the league.
With our current position, you’d hope for at least a play-off spot but realistically I’d just be happy to avoid any relegation battles.

11 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I never saw you predicting 6th-8th but that was a wild prediction even before the season started.

We're nothing special but the league is dross. Anything below Top 4 is a sackable offence.

Before appointing McPake and getting Benedictus, I was genuinely happy with being 5th. The club was in some state and morale was incredibly low. Without doing too much IMO, McPake has at least made us look at least able to win games. I still believe we are quite shite in all honesty, but McPake had no other choice given the contracts that were dished out by the morons in charge last season, but it shows just how dire this league is. We should be miles in front at the top already if not for stupid draws to canon fodder. 

How do you rate your team's start out of 10?  a healthy 7.  Give the first 3 games were against Falkirk, QOS and Dunfermline that resulted in 2 points, having 14 at end of first quarter is a decent return

How safe is your manager's job?  SP has a job for life at Montrose

Best performance? Probably the 4-2 win over Airdrie

Worst performance? Edinburgh at home, certainly the worst game anyway.  Killie B game in the cup was awful as well

Best player? Kerr Waddell has had an excellent start to the season, hopefully not out for too long with rib injury

Which opposition side/player has impressed you?  John Robertson at FC Edinburgh looks a real handful

Where will your team finish? If we average 14 points a quarter then that is a top 4 finish......fingers crossed

Edited by broomiesniper

Before appointing McPake and getting Benedictus, I was genuinely happy with being 5th. The club was in some state and morale was incredibly low. Without doing too much IMO, McPake has at least made us look at least able to win games. I still believe we are quite shite in all honesty, but McPake had no other choice given the contracts that were dished out by the morons in charge last season, but it shows just how dire this league is. We should be miles in front at the top already if not for stupid draws to canon fodder. 
Are you not contradicting yourself here? Surely Mcpake is due a bit of credit for the job he's done if the players are as shite as we think?

4 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
11 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Are you not contradicting yourself here? Surely Mcpake is due a bit of credit for the job he's done if the players are as shite as we think?

The claim we should "miles clear" at the top also doesn't hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

On 14/10/2022 at 00:14, Bay Citizen said:

10/10 - Considering we were favourites for bottom 3 by all the ‘experts’ they’ve surprised everyone by taking the top spot albeit by Dunfermline’s game in hand.
Very, more chance of him being poached if anything.
Best performance?
Alloa away. Coming off the back of a bad defeat after our debut league 1 game at Meadowbank, they set down a marker that they could actually compete in this league.
Worst performance?
Falkirk at home, just never looked at the races that day.
Best player?
John Robertson, he would have been my best player last season apart from Brian Schwake’s heroics in goal but has been in phenomenal form this season. Extra brownie points to Handling, Fontaine and Mutch as well.
Queen of the South, looked like the best team I’ve seen this season. Absolutely perplexed why they’re not higher in the league.
With our current position, you’d hope for at least a play-off spot but realistically I’d just be happy to avoid any relegation battles.

Would say the best performance was the 6-0 Airdrie away 

Opposition sides that have impressed - Dunfermline and Falkirk 

Final position - top six will do me, especially if Hamilton Accies get relegated - as an Accies fan of 50 old years who switched to FC Edinburgh this season, Id love nothing more than to see Accies coming to Meadowbank and get their ar ses tanned 

On 11/10/2022 at 17:41, Cardle is Magic said:

Everyone in the division has now played at least 9 games so a good time as any to reflect on what's happened so far!

A 7. We have equalled last season’s best run of 3 consecutive league wins, but we have also managed a 4 goal loss at Airdrie as well as a defeat at Kelty.

Completely safe (unless the wheels come off).

Best performance?

Probably battering Edinburgh I suppose

Worst performance?

Kelty

Best player?

McGinn by a country mile.

Mochrie, and DA.

1st or 2nd.