Scotland Refuseniks

Gordopolis

He was then left out by Clarke for multiple squads, and the manager made some fairly pointed comments about it, so I think we can safely say he was indeed at it.
Fair enough, I was forgetting he was out of a few, glad it's resolved (hopefully) now as he offers us something a bit different

10 hours ago, Ewan8472 said:

1 )  deposed Dalgleish , confirmed by David Speedie on BBC t.v. OTB.

2 ) M*J*   **** took the huff because AR / CB tried out his back up strikers against San Marino

3 )  Mark McGhee , allegedly , after being " dropped " after scoring against England.

4 ) going back in time Ian St. John ( per his book )

5 ) Anyone know anything about Ron Years allegedly criticising Jock Stein after we lost to Italy 1965/66 ?

Stan Lee said that whenever he saw Spider-Man written without a hyphen it ruined his day. Same for me whenever an "e" is shoe-horned in to Dalglish. 

Not so much refused, but excluded from the squad was the McGregor & Ferguson incident. Then did one not refuse to come back (was a while ago and cant remember the full details TBH apart from it was grown men acting like kids) - Rangers players again though, so maybe best off the list so as to be 'impartial'

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Not so much refused, but excluded from the squad was the McGregor & Ferguson incident. Then did one not refuse to come back (was a while ago and cant remember the full details TBH apart from it was grown men acting like kids) - Rangers players again though, so maybe best off the list so as to be 'impartial'

Yeah I think Ferguson never played for Scotland again after boozegate. Craig Levein asked him to come back but he decided to focus on club football.

McGregor did come back and went on to win 42 caps. 

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

Could be my memory here, but did Goram not pull out of the France 98 squad because the papers were going to town about him having paramilitary links?

I always thought he took the huff because he was told he was going to be backup to Leighton 

20 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Good question, think Bing was saying the same thing too.

In my head it was just players who had begun their international career with us but curtailed it for reasons other than injury or becoming shite/losing form.

Maybe McCarthy etc could go in a "Scotland knock backs" thread?

You can add Lorenzo Amoruso and David Johnson as notable Scotland 'tried to cap but failed' attempts. 

I imagine there are a bunch of players who we have tried to cap and it hasn't worked because of the rules or because the players haven't been interested

You can add Lorenzo Amoruso and David Johnson as notable Scotland 'tried to cap but failed' attempts. 
I imagine there are a bunch of players who we have tried to cap and it hasn't worked because of the rules or because the players haven't been interested
Ha, yes!

Wayne Rooney too!

868020104_Screenshot2022-10-14at17_43_17.png.69f0aee4b8a6ea92f527ab72aaa63aff.png
I glanced at the thumbnail and going by the fonts/paper tint, I thought that was a team listing from the pre-war era... nope, it's from the 90s.

Ffs I'm old [emoji20]

Also, I thought the Princess Diana thing concerned a friendly. Not sure players should be even talking about withdrawing from any game based on a royal death. But it was a f*cking qualifier - get out on the fecking pitch!

On 13/10/2022 at 16:44, Gordopolis said:

Had the idea to start this thread months ago and kept getting sidetracked. Anyway, finally got round to putting together this wee table of players who have refused international selection for one reason or another. These are just the names that came to mind initially. I'm certain there are others, so please post suggestions.

Also, any other fields I could add to the table?

^^^tried pasting the table into the post so it was a bit bigger and easier to read, but on mobile it didn't render as a table, hence screenshot as an alternative.

1.png

Quite a few have retired when they quite clearly could've still contributed. I think Lambert, for one.

Quite a few have retired when they quite clearly could've still contributed. I think Lambert, for one.
That's fair. Scott Brown & Kenny Miller too. Tho it's quite hard to differentiate between good, honest pros calling it a day when they knew they had seen their best days, and the ones who still had a few solid years left in them and just couldn't be fucked.

IMO there's something a wee bit more honourable about retiring in your 30s than slinging the towel in while in your prime. Still shite, but less tantrumy than the likes of Boyd (25, could have been, at worst, our Archie Thompson. Ended up just being a footnote)

10 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

That's fair. Scott Brown & Kenny Miller too. Tho it's quite hard to differentiate between good, honest pros calling it a day when they knew they had seen their best days, and the ones who still had a few solid years left in them and just couldn't be fucked.

IMO there's something a wee bit more honourable about retiring in your 30s than slinging the towel in while in your prime. Still shite, but less tantrumy than the likes of Boyd (25, could have been, at worst, our Archie Thompson. Ended up just being a footnote)

I'd been calling for Kenny to retire a couple of years before he did. He'd been absolute rubbish. I was chuffed for him that in his last match he scored a Beezer of a goal against England, but I think he had given all he could and it was time to step aside.

Another for the 'official reason given was clearly complete pish' pile is Lee McCulloch. Ruled himself out to focus more on his club career then curiously didn't need to focus on his club career as much as soon as Burley was sacked, coming back in for Levein's first competitive game in charge.

On 13/10/2022 at 18:32, accies1874 said:

There are definitely recent ones that just weren't made public. Hanley, Marshall (pre-Clarke), Tierney, Mulgrew and Steven Fletcher have all either had suspicious absences iirc or have just slinked off without any fanfare.

I think Tierney got a bit of a harsh reputation for it but hasn’t it since came out that Celtic were playing him for a long time when he was injured and needed an operation and a lot of painkillers to get through games?. I don’t know whether Scotland would have played him in that shape tbh. He’s certainly been a regular now he’s fit.

21 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I did think both Brown and Miller retired when they were a decent age and were starting (or actually in) a bit of a decline in playing ability. Brown maybe could have gone a year or two more but I don’t see it as a big tantrum or that they couldn’t be fucked - both had put in a decent shift for Scotland. 

I've got a fairly good memory of Dons and Scotland players from my lifetime but Brian McAllister only triggers the faintest hint of recognition.  He won three caps in 1997 apparently - born in Glasgow but never played for a Scottish club.  

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think Tierney got a bit of a harsh reputation for it but hasn’t it since came out that Celtic were playing him for a long time when he was injured and needed an operation and a lot of painkillers to get through games?. I don’t know whether Scotland would have played him in that shape tbh. He’s certainly been a regular now he’s fit.

He's a p***k