Annan Athletic vs Dumbarton

What's the outcome?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was a great three points, no doubt about that, and a great bit of football for the goal, to which Orsi contributed hugely.  It was also a strong reminder, despite personnel changes, of the type of performance that we produced in the seven-game winning run.

Annan put an awful lot of effort in and sure they hit the bar twice, but it was all a bit long ball and frantic at times.  Brett Long never really had a serious save to make and I felt that our back four matched Annan's physicality pretty well.

Let's also not forget Greg Fleming's brilliant one-handed save in the first half, and Michael Garrity passing up a one-on-one to finish things late on.

Given the players available to us it was a creditable win with no failures across the team.

Didn’t think much between teams! You guys took advantage of our midfielder switching off 
to score with a decent header. Annan certainly missed chances first half and hit the bat twice!

Smallest player on the park got a free header.
Bad defending once again from Annan.

How did Benji get MOM

What's the song played when the teams walk out at Annan?  Was it used for the top 40 at some point?

Another great day in Annan, smashing set up with the social club.

We essentially limited Annan to hoofing it towards Bucky  and Goss/muir.  Most of which Bucky dealt with, he would have been my dumbarton motm and not Wylde despite his goal.

That would be a great 3 points at any point of the season.

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

What's the song played when the teams walk out at Annan?  Was it used for the top 40 at some point?

Another great day in Annan, smashing set up with the social club.

We essentially limited Annan to hoofing it towards Bucky  and Goss/muir.  Most of which Bucky dealt with, he would have been my dumbarton motm and not Wylde despite his goal.

That would be a great 3 points at any point of the season.

Foot Tapper by The Shadows. Used by Brian Bathtubes when he hosted Sounds Of The 60s.

Foot Tapper by The Shadows. Used by Brian Bathtubes when he hosted Sounds Of The 60s.

I think he meant the first half intro music which was Yellow Pearl by Phil Lynott It was used by Top of the Pops as a theme tune sometime in the eighties

Cracking predictive text btw changing Matthews to Bathtubes

I thought that was a really solid away performance. It might've been a narrow away win against a struggling side, but it was far better than the Albion Rovers game in August - and really helped highlight our strengths. Defensively we were superb, we managed the game well after taking the lead and remained a threat on the break. Given the players out that was no mean feat.

Annan were probably the better of the sides in the first-half, but they were a bit one dimensional. It was all high balls and long-throws, and you felt if they mixed it up a wee bit then they might've caused a few more problems. There aren't too many better strikers than Tommy Goss in this league, but he was just being used as a big plank of wood to whack the ball off. 

That being said, Annan did hit the woodwork a couple of times - both from quite close range. At the other end though Greg Fleming made an absolutely superb save to deny Finlay Gray from about four yards.

We started the second-half well and I liked some of the football we were playing in Annan's half. Joe McKee makes us a better team, of that there is no doubt at all, Ross MacLean led the line well and meant that we didn't just go route one all the time and Kalvin Orsi is looking a better player by the week.

His cross for the goal was a good one, and Gregg Wylde's header looked an excellent finish. I've no idea what odds you'd get on Orsi crossing for Wylde to head in, but they would've been fairly lengthy I'd guess. 

From that point onwards it felt like we knew what we had to do to leave with three points. When this team gets ahead in games it looks like a total pain in the arse to break down. Annan had loads of the ball, knocking it sideways and gradually crawling up the park before being repelled and starting all over again. 

For all their play they looked like a side low on confidence. I don't think Brett Long had a serious save to make and nobody in an Annan shirt looked to have the confidence to try anything. It was just deep cross, long-throw, deep cross. Which our defence mopped up no bother.

We then hit them on a good counter with Div Wilson perfectly squaring for Michael Garrity, who went round Greg Fleming but took a heavy touch that put him out of play. If that had gone in and we'd left with a 2-0 I think it would've been just about the perfect away performance for any side in this division.

Annan piled everything forward late on but it felt a bit desperate and unstructured? Just load the forward areas with bodies and try and grab a goal. Aidan Smith was unlucky when he hit the bar, and there were a few scary penalty box moments, but by and large we defended well.

As OKI said last night, there really wasn't a failure in a Sons shirt. Everyone played their part and, with the celebrations at the end, it felt like the players saw that as a massive three points. 

if I was asked to pick then I'd say Gregor Buchanan was probably our best player though. The big man has been excellent for about 90% of the season so far, and when he plays well we win games. He was dominant in the air, he used the ball well, he was positionally excellent. It was a very strong showing. Martin McNiff probably deserves a mention too, he wasn't fantastic in the first-half - but in the second I thought he came on to a game massively and played as well as he has all season.

Eight wins from 12. Six clean sheets, 10 points clear of fifth place and only one win shy of our total for the whole of last season. That's not bad going at all. Take out the blip at Stirling Albion and we've only conceded seven goals all season. In fact take out our two defeats (I know I'm being silly here to an extent) and we've conceded four goals in nine matches. That's exceptional.