Edinburgh City/FC Edinburgh/Edinburgh vs. Queen of the South

Although we showing signs of coming back, this has been our poorest display of the season - we have given Queens for too much space in midfield and they totally bossed us in the first half 
doesn’t help that we are still doing the long ball to John Robertson who’s five foot nothing 

Given where you are in the league it's fair you think that. But also, given how we've completely bossed you in 3 separate occasions I think it's fair to say Gibson has Maybury's number.

Sadly it seems to only be EFC we have sussed.

Just now, jacobsladder said:

Jeez Queens should be five six nil up - you have totally bossed us today ...

Cheers ... can we frame this post please! [not an assessment that usually applies to us ...]

2 minutes ago, jacobsladder said:

Jeez Queens should be five six nil up - you have totally bossed us today - we have been utter garbage 

Seriously though - you've had a few chances, hit the bar etc?  So haven't been totally out of this?

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Good result - on to Alloa now and a great opportunity to get "back in the mix".  Decent.

I'm sure many of us thought the same after the FC Edinburgh meetings at Palmerston, I'm no' getting carried away yet. 

Curious game. Dominated first half and had the luxury of a missed penalty ( has the ball landed yet?)

Goal just before HT, great shot/cross but looked as though keeper at fault?

Great header from Paton for second, but we had a wobbly 15 minutes when Edinburgh had a few chances.

Was a misplaced pass out of defence gave us our third (that’s usually our speciality), but we’ll taken.

Wilson makes such a difference in midfield, just steadies the ship.

For those not there, we’re still not Real Madrid, bit scrappy sometimes, but after last week’s debacle, much better

Good performance from Queens today, and Lewis Gibson was a revelation, he has to start from now on. Should have been more convincing than the 3-0 scoreline, which flattered FC Edinburgh, but Murray’s penalty (one of the worst I’ve ever seen) would have been a decent conversion if he’d been playing at Murrayfield - he leaned back and skied it way over the bar.

FC Edinburgh never really threatened, apart from a brief period when they upped the tempo in the middle of the second half when they were already 2-0 down. The header that hit the bar was never going in, just skimmed the top of the bar on the way over, other than that it was as comfortable an afternoon as the defence will have this season. Their penalty ‘claim’ was never a pen in a million years. I’m not sure what it says that a side as limited as FC Edinburgh (they have very little about them) are lying second in the table, other than the standard of the First Division is fairly dismal and that we’ve hugely underachieved so far this term.

Lewis Gibson was superb, but his goal was clearly an attempted cross which just evaded everyone and went in, though it was a dangerous whipped cross into a good area. In the second half he put in some fantastic balls into the box, including an absolute peach of a in-curling cross to the far post from a deep position, that Paton got on the end of for the second goal. He also set up Connelly with a smart quick pass for the third. Hard to believe he’s only 17, there’s little doubt that he’s a star of the future, perhaps a generational talent for Queens. He’ll obviously have his ups and downs as he’s still very young, but would like to see Willie keep faith in him as he’s a real talent, which is not something that can be said for many of the current squad. Lewis got a well-deserved standing ovation when he was subbed towards the end.

I thought the much-maligned Cochrane played well, apart from a silly booking for a tug on an Edinburgh shirt in an area where there was no real threat, and Quitongo was also impressive, using his pace to good effect. Wilson absolutely bossed the middle of the park, and he is quite clearly a hugely important player for us, giving us much needed physicality and presence.

Encouraging performance overall, even if Edinburgh are in a false position in the league, but, sorry to say, Reilly looks done and offered very little. Paton always gives maximum effort, but is not a finisher as we know. Glad to see Connelly come on and get a goal. But today was all about Lewis Gibson. Deservedly man of the match. What an exciting talent we have in this boy.

Edited by Frankie S

Much better from us today - Lewis was outstanding - barely wasted a ball and his delivery was terrific. He also tracked back when he moved to RWB although with his talent I think we want him doing his stuff in final third not worrying about defensive duties. He and his father would be a formidable combination down the right flank!!!!

Some other good performances - Quitongo has been unlucky to be benched for so long but he provided a threat wide left and Cochrane contributed a lot more than he has been doing.

I refuse to get carried away until we start delivering against the stronger teams - (despite their lofty league position Edinburgh don’t fall into that category I’m afraid).

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

the stronger teams - (despite their lofty league position Edinburgh don’t fall into that category I’m afraid).

Aye mate. I'm relieved we won at Kelty, Alloa, Airdrie(6-0) and Montrose with such a weak team right enough! 🙄

Fortunately for you's we've had our three worst performances of the season all against QOS! 😲 so think your selves lucky!

I thought it was a poor game today, but Queens "wanted it" more,  and worked a lot harder than us!

Poor day at the office for Edinburgh City, but we'll be back again.

Good luck to you's though, you're clearly a better team than your league position. 😉

Aye mate. I'm relieved we won at Kelty, Alloa, Airdrie(6-0) and Montrose with such a weak team right enough! [emoji849]
Fortunately for you's we've had our three worst performances of the season all against QOS! [emoji44] so think your selves lucky!
I thought it was a poor game today, but Queens "wanted it" more,  and worked a lot harder than us!
Good luck to you's though, you're clearly a better team than your league position. [emoji6]

Tongue in cheek I know but I'd say we're about where we belong. The only side we've looked comfortable against is your lot and we've thankfully got past the bottom two 3 times out of 4.

It's only because we are so mediocre that its baffling to us how EFC are so high up. A term like "Queens midfield bossed ours" is as rare as a decent Tory MP. How we've brushed aside the league's second side on 3 separate occasions is mental and I don't think it's fluke. I think WG knows how to deal with EFC but again, sadly he can't seem to do it with other sides.

EFC have done remarkably well so far this season but you can't really expect a QoS fan to have been impressed by them.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

EFC have done remarkably well so far this season but you can't really expect a QoS fan to have been impressed by them.

I guess not mate.

If we'd humped the same team three times, I'd probably think they were shite so I do see your point.

Seems Any team can beat any other team in this league, and usually one has a bogey team.

You are ours certainly.

36 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I guess not mate.

If we'd humped the same team three times, I'd probably think they were shite so I do see your point.

Seems Any team can beat any other team in this league, and usually one has a bogey team.

You are ours certainly.

No doubt you have picked up some good results but would have to agree with RJC and others. I have absolutely no idea how you have picked up the amount of points you have on the showings against us. Looked every inch a league 2 or lowland league side in the three games against us but they are maybe just one offs. We have been really poor for the majority of games this season so to have an 11-1 aggregate score over the three meetings doesn’t translate to second in the league against our gang.

Can we play you every week ? 

1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

Aye mate. I'm relieved we won at Kelty, Alloa, Airdrie(6-0) and Montrose with such a weak team right enough! 🙄

Fortunately for you's we've had our three worst performances of the season all against QOS! 😲 so think your selves lucky!

Good luck to you's though, you're clearly a better team than your league position. 😉

I'm not having this's.  Mod's?