Why no InDy?

Brother Blades

Let’s list every single reason why Scotland shouldn’t be able to decide it’s own course in the world, it’s absolutely atrocious that the SSsnNNPee are advocating we have a different social & political outlook from the rUK, let’s get this sorted, down with this sort of stuff.

I’ll go first.

The great British banger - we can't let the Krauts and Frogs destroy it!

We gave all those smiling picanninies their independence. Eventually. And we even stopped enslaving them before that! 

Eastenders will be banned in an independent Scotland due to anti-English racism.

9 minutes ago, picklish said:

You don't want to start a new country with a failed state on your border. We would require England to join the USA in a Puerto Rico type arrangement first. Wales can do as they wish.

Why not go full out & time team back to apartheid SA? We are nearly there! 

Perhaps if you want full fiscal autonomy, which is surely what Independence is about, then you don't hand control of your rates to the Bank of England to decide upon for an unspecified period.

Or maybe you do want to make different social choices on spending and reject the austerity model, so you don't propose deep cuts to public services in the first few years. 

Most countries which were proposing a change of mindset and direction with Independence would have a plan for their own currency from day 1.

Likewise most would offer a timescale for application to join a large trading block like the EU, and flesh out how that would work. (or indeed have a Plan B on the table to join EFTA in the first instance)

Most would also maybe look at the fact that their country was the only one to have negative polling for the royal family, and decide that continuing with the monarchy wasn't for them.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Perhaps if you want full fiscal autonomy, which is surely what Independence is about, then you don't hand control of your rates to the Bank of England to decide upon for an unspecified period.

Or maybe you do want to make different social choices on spending and reject the austerity model, so you don't propose deep cuts to public services in the first few years. 

Most countries which were proposing a change of mindset and direction with Independence would have a plan for their own currency from day 1.

Likewise most would offer a timescale for application to join a large trading block like the EU, and flesh out how that would work. (or indeed have a Plan B on the table to join EFTA in the first instance)

Most would also maybe look at the fact that their country was the only one to have negative polling for the royal family, and decide that continuing with the monarchy wasn't for them.

There’s zero chance you voted Yes in 2014 & even less chance you’ll vote Yes in any future ref, you are a typical “too wee, too stupid, too poor” unionist, get a grip & look at the future outwith the UK, it’s bright! But definitely not Orange. 

3 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

There’s zero chance you voted Yes in 2014 & even less chance you’ll vote Yes in any future ref, you are a typical “too wee, too stupid, too poor” unionist, get a grip & look at the future outwith the UK, it’s bright! But definitely not Orange. 

Yeah, you are right....the whole political background I outlined in the what is the point of Labour thread as an SNP activist for the best part of 40 years, must be fabricated...I dont have many skills as a story teller, so must have gotten someone else to write it for me.......honestly. 

Asking questions about the SNP's plan for Independence therefore=never voted Yes in 2014.....go and look up 'critical thinking'

Not sure what the 'not Orange' comment means unless its some form of sectarian reference.

I voted Yes in 2014, and will again if/when we get another go.

In the meantime, I absolutely do not subscribe to the opinion that there is no difference between Labour and the Tories. In every imaginable way the Tories are worse. We have seen data recently attributing deaths to their austerity regime, which has an undeniable cruel streak. Now we are gearing up for more of the same. 

I'd take Labour over the Tories. I'd take independence over both. 

22 minutes ago, Jedi said:

That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Labour and Unionist party

Good points @scottsdad

Here's a radical notion.....during any campaign in a future Referendum, the Yes side 'might' be asked some questions about EU membership, borders, currency, spending plans and priorities in the early days, the monarchy, the division of assets, moving Trident,.....as I say just a 'wild, radical notion'. Not sure if just replying 'but we will get the government we vote for in an Independent Scotland' in reply to every question will win the day on its own....probably wrong there though.

Another wild notion is there might be some undecided voters around (unlikely I know)....they might be wondering what the answers to these sort of questions are (again, probably not).

In 2014, the Yes campaign handled questions on all these issues well....Salmond was a formidable debater and carried a lot of the upsurge in support as a result. Also, having clear answers to these questions painted a positive future, (and starting point)......Once the current leadership of the SNP realise they they will have to try to replicate the feelgood factor rather than pandering to big business, and selling cuts to public services, promoting the monarchy, handing fiscal controls to the B of E etc, then they will be on a better footing.

Having believed in Scottish Independence since 1980, not just 2014, funnily enough I want to see a campaign which presents a future for Scotland which is so appealing (from day 1) not 10 years in, or more that it will carry the vote to well over 50%

Edited by Jedi

4 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Labour and Unionist party

Not really. Just one that is looking for a more radical vision of Independence to start being sold by the current SNP leadership, to ensure that the arguments look irresistible to as wide a section of Scottish society as possible to carry the vote, and not just the business community. 

I may be naïve in thinking that 'but you can vote for who you like, post Indy', might not win the day on its own. 

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Having believed in Scottish Independence since 1980, not just 2014, funnily enough I want to see a campaign which presents a future for Scotland which is so appealing (from day 1) not 10 years in, or kore that it will carry the vote to well over 50%

This is simply ridiculous, especially when you appear to ask nothing of the “UKOK” campaign. The absolute reality is that “Day 1” of independence won’t look or feel all that different, just as “Day 1” of dependence on 19th September looked and felt no different (though things fairly rapidly got a lot, lot worse).

By the same token is there 'no way that Alex Salmond voted Yes in 2014 either, as funnily enough, he doesn't like the current SNP leadership's plan for Independence either, and is also trying to set out more clarity on currency, EU, financial policy etc etc.

Ask nothing of the UK campaign? Er, we know what the UK model is like, as we have lived with it for so long. We know that the 'continued UK' would be more of the same in terms of their policies etc (with a Tory govt), so that kind of answers what a No vote is, does it not?