Ben Doak

Gordopolis

Me and the family did the Anfield Stadium tour last week and our tour guide said he had been going to Anfield every week since he was 6 years old, could count the amount of home games he had missed on 1 hand and has been a tour guide for 12 years now and at 53, he doesn't see himself doing anything else before he retires, but if he does it will be at Liverpool.

At the end of the tour, I asked him, "in your opinion, how good is Ben Doak".......his reply was "Kenny is the King but Doak will leave the club somewhere not far off"...........Absolutely no pressure then Ben!! haha.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Hooked on 46 mins just so Klopp could make an example out of him. Worrying.

Being subbed for Salah is hardly being made an example when you’re losing is it?

Liverpool getting beaten by Toulouse doesn’t swing on one young winger.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm
typo

They were looking pretty bad in central midfield. It's just easier to take off the 17 year old Scottish kid than than the guy with the Scottish sounding name they signed in the summer. 

Doak was one of the only players that was creating panic in the Toulouse defence. 

He looked absolutely devastating on the ball, every time he got it he was dribbling at them and they couldn't deal with him. However, he was very much on the periphery of the game, his positioning during attacks was quite frankly a little bit weird most of the time, and as a result it passed him by a bit. None of that is really a worry at his age, as long as he knuckles down and learns from the brilliant role models he has all around him, but there definitely is work to do.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He looked absolutely devastating on the ball, every time he got it he was dribbling at them and they couldn't deal with him. However, he was very much on the periphery of the game, his positioning during attacks was quite frankly a little bit weird most of the time, and as a result it passed him by a bit. None of that is really a worry at his age, as long as he knuckles down and learns from the brilliant role models he has all around him, but there definitely is work to do.

I’m assuming he was asked to stay really wide, as he didn’t come in much at all! He showed against Leicester that he can link up well in the park as well so would have been nice to see him mixing things up a bit. 

Liverpool were so poor and Toulouse so compact it was hard for any of the attacking players to have much impact as everything around them was cut off but ultimately it’s something he will need to learn to deal with. 

I would definitely be interested to see him in a game where he is afforded a bit more space but I don’t think we’ll see that too often with the type of games Liverpool are playing him in. 

Thought he looked good in flashes but as said above, was very much on the periphery. For his first involvement, he absolutely skinned the defender. He had a volley that looked on target but blocked by a defender and he’s also not afraid to put in a tackle. There might be an element of his teammates still not looking for him yet/not fully trusting him, but that’ll come with time. Wouldn’t be surprised if the half time sub was pre-arranged tbh since he’s just coming back from an injury. 

He's not played much at Liverpool so far this season - does anyone know why? injury aside, is his competition too strong? or is it pre-planned to phase him in? or is it related to his performance levels?

I think a loan could be helpful for him in January if this trend continues especially if he wants to take control over getting a place in Scotland's Euros squad.

Edited by 2426255

Think it's mostly because he's 17 mine (18 today?). He isn't ready to play much senior football yet while everyone he might replace most definitely is.  If he stays injury free I'm sure he will be soon enough.

Edit: To pick a totally ridiculous comparison. according to the only stats website I just looked up Messi played 7 times for Barcelona in the season he debuted at  17.

Edited by The Algebraist

44 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

He's not played much at Liverpool so far this season - does anyone know why? injury aside, is his competition too strong? or is it pre-planned to phase him in? or is it related to his performance levels?

I think a loan could be helpful for him in January if this trend continues especially if he wants to take control over getting a place in Scotland's Euros squad.

It's Mo Salah bro

It's clear the boy has talent and Liverpool are trying to coach him as best they can, I don't know why we need to analyse every minute he plays. Let him get experience in these fleeting appearances and once he starts to nail down a starting place (at Liverpool or elsewhere) then OTT analysis of his minutes might actually be worth something. 

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's clear the boy has talent and Liverpool are trying to coach him as best they can, I don't know why we need to analyse every minute he plays. Let him get experience in these fleeting appearances and once he starts to nail down a starting place (at Liverpool or elsewhere) then OTT analysis of his minutes might actually be worth something. 

Because we have a seventeen year old starting the occasional game for a club the size of Liverpool, and it’s interesting…

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Judging by the replies so far, if he wants to take control over getting himself on the plane to Germany then a loan in January is the best solution at this point as the competition at Liverpool is fierce, he lacks the experience to get more enough game-time at Liverpool in time for Euro2024.

A bit of a conflict of interest if Liverpool have an elongated plan for him, but Ben Doak wants to try and force his way into the Scotland squad in time for this summer. Should be interesting to to watch how it all develops.

I imagine he will get less starting game time after Christmas given the early rounds of competitions are out of the way. 

Obviously Salah will miss games with AFCON, so I suppose he may get more chances off the bench in January if he can show something in the next two European games. 

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

He is not anywhere close to getting in the Euros squad atm. He has nothing to offer us in a tournament setting with limited squad space at his current level of ability.

This just isn’t really true though, is it. 

If he was loaned out the absolute worst level he would be going to would be the top end of the championship, which is round about the level of several of our attacking players. 

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This is a discussion thread about whether he should be in the Scotland squad, so surely taking about his actual performances when he plays is entirely relevant and appropriate.

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

@The Moonster We've been here before mate, haven't we? No-one is making you read this thread. If you aren't interested in the discussion then look elsewhere.

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

This is a discussion thread about whether he should be in the Scotland squad, so surely taking about his actual performances when he plays is entirely relevant and appropriate.

Aye, it's relevant but there's folk talking about every tiny detail of his performance, oh he beat his man then had his shot blocked? Who cares. He played another 45 minutes for Liverpool in European competition, he's going to make a hell of a lot of mistakes as he grows as a player, we don't need to judge every single thing he does in a match.

Just now, 2426255 said:

@The Moonster We've been here before mate, haven't we? No-one is making you read this thread. If you aren't interested in it then look elsewhere.

Well I am interested in how much game time Doak is getting and I generally hope his performances are good, I just find the over analysing a bit tedious. 

Hard to impress when you're a bit part player. He really needs a run of games, loan spell might be a good option. I think he'd run amok in the championship.

There is the argument that he's learning from the best but I think games are more important than training with the big guns at this stage.