Ben Doak

Gordopolis

It looks like he's been coached to slow things down a bit more in the final third rather than doing a couple of stepovers and lashing the ball across the box. That hasn't always worked out, but right now I think he looks like a better player when linking with his teammates as opposed to being a creative or goalscoring outlet himself. 

It's both a blessing and a curse for him that we don't have anyone with a similar skillset, as it's obviously granted him more opportunities than he'd have got otherwise but it also means that there's a lot of pressure on him to offer us something different. 

53 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

The gift that keeps gifting. 

Didn't Shaggy just say that?

Think for yourself.

Neither have you have taken up my offer to takd your beef off the board.

Can't act hard without an audience, eh?

And for future reference, I have no agenda. As opposed to you and Shaggy.

Shaggy said that Gilmour was better than Modric. Funny, i didn't see you or anyone pile on to that ridiculous hyperbolic statement.

Living rent free in your head.

Have a lovely Morning, Cartman. (You sure as hell ain't like Butters. I love Butters) :)

(Back to living in your head rent free)

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

The absolute state of you.

And it's hard and normal only being able to take people on when an audience is involved and can pile on?

Following people around and throwing around insults.

Dead hard.

Personally, if I had beef with someone, I would take it behind closed doors and not need assistance.

But yeah, ganging up seems to be the way here.

The absolute state of it.

PS: If anyone has beef with me, by all means, PM me and talk it out. Time is precious. Me being in your head is a waste of it. Having anger is a complete waste of time.

Particularly since I'm so ambivalent.

PPS: Have a lovely day. :)

Edited by Chripper

Having a player like that on the pitch made a big difference, yes he went missing for large parts of the game, but he also had a couple of really big moments where he got us up the park and had the directness to worry them. That turn and dribble when he got Palhinha booked was superb, and he was also the one that sprung their defence for the McTominay chance.

Yeah Doak tonight was a mix that you might expect of a prodigious 18 year old.

Looked really dangerous when he turned the play, and actually quite vital a few times defensively. Equally tho he had a few moments where he made an important interception only to rush his next move and give the ball away in dangerous areas.

Ignoring the hyperbolic fool who insisted it was lunacy to start Doak in either of these past two games that he in fact started, I think we're onto a good thing.

In the years to come I think Doak will become a more complete player and very influential for us. Good to see him start two games and make a good contribution in both.

35 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Didn't Shaggy just say that?

Think for yourself.

Neither have you have taken up my offer to takd your beef off the board.

Can't act hard without an audience, eh?

And for future reference, I have no agenda. As opposed to you and Shaggy.

Shaggy said that Gilmour was better than Modric. Funny, i didn't see you or anyone pile on to that ridiculous hyperbolic statement.

Living rent free in your head.

Have a lovely Morning, Cartman. (You sure as hell ain't like Butters. I love Butters) :)

(Back to living in your head rent free)

Folk are simply responding to your rambling nonsense that you post on a public forum time and again and calling you out on things. If you can't handle that 'beef' then maybe you should think before you start posting anything on here? 

"Shaggy" (wtf does that even mean, no one seems to know apart from yourself) wasn't being serious about the Gilmour/Modric comparison but that went completely over your head. 

Fact is you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. You posted several times pre euros that you expected Scotland to win the tournament, you are incessant that Scotland can only play with a 3 at the back formation, you are telling us we shouldn't play Doak when he has been one of our most exciting players since starting games, you are telling us that Clarke is our saviour as Scotland manager despite the awful last year we have had and shitting the bed at two euros now, need I go on? 

Edited by Butters Scotch

14 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Folk are simply responding to your rambling nonsense that you post on a public forum time and again and calling you out on things. If you can't handle that 'beef' then maybe you should think before you start posting anything on here? 

"Shaggy" (wtf does that even mean, no one seems to know apart from yourself) wasn't being serious about the Gilmour/Modric comparison but that went completely over your head. 

Fact is you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. You posted several times pre euros that you expected Scotland to win the tournament, you are incessant that Scotland can only play with a 3 at the back formation, you are telling us we shouldn't play Doak when he has been one of our most exciting players since starting games, you are telling us that Clarke is our saviour as Scotland manager despite the awful last year we have had and shitting the bed at two euros now, need I go on? 

I'm not sure there's any point in engaging with a "know it all"/"can't be wrong" like @Chripper tbh.

They're either getting off on all the negative attention, or they'll f**k off and come back as an even more dimwitted respawn alias.

It was a tough shift for him last night

One of Scotland's strengths under Clarke has been the ability to retain possession under extreme pressure.

I don't think that suits Doak at all, especially not at this stage of his career. He gave the ball away in dangerous areas a number of times.

Part of this is experience and coaching, he will learn and adapt.

But most games at international level aren't against teams as stacked as Portugal. They have quality everywhere. Against lesser teams, hopefully in the next couple of games, we will see him with much more space to run into

Edited by MarkoRaj

On 02/10/2024 at 20:22, Old Bing said:

Ive not seen any of it but he seems to be first choice for Middlesbrough already and the fans think he's quality. It's a good start for him there and just what we need.

I think it will have been pretty much agreed with Liverpool that he will generally start but it looks unsurprisingly like he is earning his place ahead of Isiah Jones on the right. 

Let’s hope he stays fit - this could be a big season for him. 

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

It was a tough shift for him last night

One of Scotland's strengths under Clarke has been the ability to retain possession under extreme pressure.

I don't think that suits Doak at all, especially not at this stage of his career. He gave the ball away in dangerous areas a number of times.

Part of this is experience and coaching, he will learn and adapt.

But most games at international level aren't against teams as stacked as Portugal. They have quality everywhere. Against lesser teams, hopefully in the next couple of games, we will see him with much more space to run into

I think Doak had the right ideas in mind by trying to keep possession, sometimes the execution was off as maybe he was forcing the pass due to the pressure he was under but he wasn't the only doing that btw, even Gilmour was doing it, Mclean, Robertson, etc so I don't think Doak should be singled out for this more than anyone else. 

The one thing that frustrated me with Doak last night was that he had the ball out wide 1 on 1 with their full back a few times in the second half and he decided to play the simple pass instead of attacking the opposition. It may be well that they were aiming to keep possession since we were chasing shadows for a lot of the game but those are the times where you want Doak to be dribbling with the ball at the defender and using his pace to go by them to create opportunities for the team.

3 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I think Doak had the right ideas in mind by trying to keep possession, sometimes the execution was off as maybe he was forcing the pass due to the pressure he was under but he wasn't the only doing that btw, even Gilmour was doing it, Mclean, Robertson, etc so I don't think Doak should be singled out for this more than anyone else. 

The one thing that frustrated me with Doak last night was that he had the ball out wide 1 on 1 with their full back a few times in the second half and he decided to play the simple pass instead of attacking the opposition. It may be well that they were aiming to keep possession since we were chasing shadows for a lot of the game but those are the times where you want Doak to be dribbling with the ball at the defender and using his pace to go by them to create opportunities for the team.

I think the work rate off the ball contributed to this as well. The entire team ran themselves into the ground to the extent when we actually got the ball, they didn’t have much left to offer. 

But yeah, I would like to see him be as direct as possible. The whole point of building the play is to get him one v one in decent areas. We obviously didn’t manage that very often at all last night.

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Having a player like that on the pitch made a big difference, yes he went missing for large parts of the game, but he also had a couple of really big moments where he got us up the park and had the directness to worry them. That turn and dribble when he got Palhinha booked was superb, and he was also the one that sprung their defence for the McTominay chance.

I think this is right. I think having a player who *could* do something any moment makes a huge difference even if he isn't actually doing anything. It stretches the play and drives different decision making from defenders. That in turn gives our midfield more space and takes and makes it that little bit easier to retain possession. 

17 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It looks like he's been coached to slow things down a bit more in the final third rather than doing a couple of stepovers and lashing the ball across the box. That hasn't always worked out, but right now I think he looks like a better player when linking with his teammates as opposed to being a creative or goalscoring outlet himself. 

It's both a blessing and a curse for him that we don't have anyone with a similar skillset, as it's obviously granted him more opportunities than he'd have got otherwise but it also means that there's a lot of pressure on him to offer us something different. 

Agree with this. He’s looked in two minds when it comes time to play the ball in pretty much every game I’ve seen of him this season. I’d bet that his instinct is to be direct, but he’s got his coaches words in his head telling him to recycle. The danger is that his instinctive creative skills get stymied, or ‘coached out of him’, but if he is able to digest the things he’s getting told about retaining possession as well as getting let off the leash at times to just go for it, I think he could become a great, great player for us.