2023 Euro stage game March squad and line up

Craigieboy86

On 09/03/2023 at 10:41, Elgin Macca said:

What would everyone's line up be for the Cyprus game if they were in charge? I'd go..

Clarke

Hickey, Mckenna,Porteous,Robertson

Mcgergor,Mctominay

Doak Mcginn cristie

Adams.

Obviously the next game against Spain would probably call for a more compact formation and a  more experienced 11.

Is McKenna not injured ?

Not Hendry as well ?

FFS !

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

19 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Is McKenna not injured ?

Not Hendry as well ?

FFS !

They both missed their respective clubs last matches through injury, but with the Cyprus game still 2 weeks away and no real news as to how their recovery is going I wouldn't discount either at the moment.

Did not expect him to be back in time for these matches. Gives him a few games to get back up to speed too. Nice wee test up against Porteous today. 

In other news, Gilmour and Patterson both miss out although Patterson was in the matchday squad so he's edging closer. Might be too soon for him though.

Final prediction for me:

Goalkeepers: Zander Clark (Hearts) Angus Gunn (Norwich), Liam Kelly (Motherwell) 

Defenders: Josh Doig (Verona), Grant Hanley (Norwich), Aaron Hickey (Brentford), Jack Hendry (Brugge), Ryan Porteous (Hibs), Anthony Ralston (Celtic), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), John Souttar (Rangers), Kieran Tierney (Arsenal) 

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Lewis Ferguson (Bologna), Billy Gilmour (Brighton), Ryan Jack (Rangers), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Kenny McLean (Norwich), Scott McTominay (Man Utd)

Forwards: Che Adams (Southampton), Jacob Brown (Stoke),  Ryan Christie (Bournemouth), Lyndon Dykes (QPR), Kevin Nisbet (Hibs), Lawrence Shankland (Hearts)

I've seen a few articles and listened to a few media shows suggesting player form and fitness is a major issue around this camp. I think that's being over dramatic personally. I put a small chart together showing the percentage of minutes our players have played for their clubs for the last 5 games and the last 10 games and it's not great but not terrible either.

Club Minutes

13 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Let's talk about the upcoming squad.  Who is definitely out, who might we see, who do you want to see etc.?

Scotland Squad name announce tomorrow

Something like the below seems pretty fair. Gunn filling one spot, I'll guess Patterson in another and Dykes in the last one. I have no clue who could come in at CB so I'll predict that we'll just go with the three and maybe a slight chance that Gilmour takes that Turnbull/Fraser spot. Either that or another striker (Shankland if fit). 

On 06/03/2023 at 12:25, 2426255 said:

image.png.a38c19972468de4bacac9b2f64a78c8c.png

This group gives me the fucking fear. One we could legitimately finish 4th or 5th in if we're not careful. Still can't believe we worked our way right up to 2nd seed just to get papped into this fucking shanner group. Only Scotland would get drawn into a group with Haaland, Odegard and Kvartsheklia in the teams seeded below us. Just fucking typical innit, we never get any luck in our favour.

Reckon the line-up picks itself at the minute.

Gunn

Hickey - Porteous - Hanley - Tierney - Robertson

Ferguson - McGregor

McGinn

Adams - Dykes

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

This group gives me the fucking fear. One we could legitimately finish 4th or 5th in if we're not careful. Still can't believe we worked our way right up to 2nd seed just to get papped into this fucking shanner group. Only Scotland would get drawn into a group with Haaland, Odegard and Kvartsheklia in the teams seeded below us. Just fucking typical innit, we never get any luck in our favour.

Reckon the line-up picks itself at the minute.

Gunn

Hickey - Porteous - Hanley - Tierney - Robertson

Ferguson - McGregor

McGinn

Adams - Dykes

Was thinking this aswell yesterday. Stinking luck with the draw. Northern Ireland in pot 5 have ended up with an easier looking group than us!

7 minutes ago, jagfox said:

20230314_113149.thumb.jpg.1bcaf09777fdbd4946d4b1798538c47e.jpg

No real surprises there. A few guys very lucky to be called up this time round but its the Clarke way to not make drastic changes at once. I have no idea what Jacob Brown has done to become an international footballer. Always baffles me his inclusion. Are shankland/Nisbet still injured??

Nothing to get too excited about there. Angus Gunn obviously the big news. 

I wondered if we’d maybe try Hayden Hackney in the squad but always seemed unlikely when he was named in the u21’s. Elliot Anderson presumably not interested at this stage either.

A few players (Cooper, Hendry, Tierney, Patterson, Gilmour, Dykes) who haven’t played much football recently for one reason or another. But I don’t see anybody battering the door down.

No real surprises. I am not that surprised that Clarke has stuck by Tierney, Patterson and Gilmour, they are still up there as the best we have in those positions and I think likely to be able to get back to playing regularly and well, even if that’s at a new club if necessary. 

It’ll be interesting to see how much they play this time though.

Cooper is the surprise inclusion and Taylor is the surprise exclusion which tells you what you need to know about the squad - tried and tested. 

I hope Hackney's the real deal (I've only seen him once so can't judge him) but he's not solving our issue with fit CBs or attacking options so it's not a huge deal. 

31 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

No real surprises. I am not that surprised that Clarke has stuck by Tierney, Patterson and Gilmour, they are still up there as the best we have in those positions and I think likely to be able to get back to playing regularly and well, even if that’s at a new club if necessary. 

It’ll be interesting to see how much they play this time though.

Is Patterson just not getting picked?  I thought he was injured. 

52 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

No real surprises there. A few guys very lucky to be called up this time round but its the Clarke way to not make drastic changes at once. I have no idea what Jacob Brown has done to become an international footballer. Always baffles me his inclusion. Are shankland/Nisbet still injured??

Was coming on here to post this, I thought maybe I’d missed something and he was tearing it up in the Championship. But seems to be a fairly bog standard Championship player, Shankland would be my preferred third choice striker