2023 Euro stage game March squad and line up

Craigieboy86

30 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

He needs minutes I agree but we should be playing our strongest 11 and at this moment in time that surely has to be Robertson. 

Tbh I agree with his line up, we should be beating Cyprus and able to rotate a bit so were going in strong for the Spain game.

Give Tierney and Robertson a half each with the back 4.

24 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Tbh I agree with his line up, we should be beating Cyprus and able to rotate a bit so were going in strong for the Spain game.

Give Tierney and Robertson a half each with the back 4.

Full strength team from the start all that will ever happen v Cyprus 

Gunn

Hickey

Hendry

Hanley 

Tierney

Robertson 

Jack

Mcgregor 

Mcginn 

Christie

Adams 

Edited by Binos

Just now, Binos said:

Full strength team from the start all that will ever happen v Cyprus 

Gunn

Hickey

Hendry

Hanley 

Tierney

Robertson 

Jack

Mcgregor 

Mcginn 

Christie

Adams 

Tbh I think Cyprus would be absolutely delighted to see us line up like that.

And Jack is nowhere near our first choice team.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Tbh I think Cyprus would be absolutely delighted to see us line up like that.

And Jack is nowhere near our first choice team.

I like him

But aye Mctominay or Ferguson more likely 

On 17/03/2023 at 14:17, gannonball said:

Yeah he shades it over Craig Samson for me. Special mention to any St.Johnstone being called up too obvs.

Oh f**k off, our players (two) getting called up over the past decade is no different than someone from Hearts, Utd, Hibs etc getting a call up in terms of the level they were playing at.

4 hours ago, Miguel Simao said:

Oh f**k off, our players (two) getting called up over the past decade is no different than someone from Hearts, Utd, Hibs etc getting a call up in terms of the level they were playing at.

Calling St.Johnstone players up is wrong and you know it. Surprised UEFA/FIFA even allow it.

13 hours ago, Binos said:

I like him

But aye Mctominay or Ferguson more likely 

Jack will be more useful for Spain game. Only ever watched him for rangers in the Europa League run . Their midfield was often overrun when he wasn't on the pitch 

Just a little from Steve Clarke on his reasons for picking a smaller squad highlighting the fact we have two home games played a part in naming only 23 players.

You always want to make it competitive. You don’t want to be handing out caps willy-nilly and always searching for a solution. I have a way of playing now and a number of players who understand what’s required when we get together. Six months since our last competitive game, the players will immediately know what we expect. Rather than trying to bed in three or four different names, it’s straightforward. Or it should be. They know each other well, what is expected of each other, what to expect from me, what I am going to ask for. Hopefully they can deliver.

Lawrence can consider himself a little bit unfortunate. Kevin came back from his first injury and was on fire. Unfortunately he has picked up another one and that seems to have held him back a little bit. Tony played for Celtic last week so there are loads of people on the periphery who didn’t get selected: Dominic Hyam at Blackburn has done well, as has Murray Wallace at Millwall, Liam Lindsay at Preston. The good thing for me is I know they all want to be selected and are fighting to be in that squad.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kieran-tierney-offered-arsenal-hope-29494083

Dominic Hyam at Blackburn has done well, Murray Wallace has done well at Millwall, Liam Lindsay at Preston too, there’s a lot of them. Lawrence Shankland can consider himself unfortunate. He’s having a good season and hopefully that continues. Kevin Nisbet came back from injury and was on fire, but unfortunately he’s picked up another injury and Tony Ralston played for Celtic the other day. So there are loads of people around the periphery who haven’t been selected. The good thing for me is I know they all want to be selected and they’re all fighting to be in the squad.

We might pick up another couple of injuries, but because we have two home games, it’s easy to call somebody in.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10388150/steve-clarke-celtic-kieran-tierney-arsenal-struggles/

2 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Is there any chance that Lewis Ferguson could force his way into the starting 11. 

Seems to be having a really good season in Italy. Could he play in behind Che Adams instead of Christie?

The midfield spot of either Mctominay Ferguson or jack is up for grabs

Mcginn mcgregor stick on of course 

Gilmour too out of it

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Hendry still wasn't back for Brugge yesterday, his position in the squad has to be in doubt, which would be a big blow.

Cooper step in no probs

Porteous too

Edited by Binos

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Hendry still wasn't back for Brugge yesterday, his position in the squad has to be in doubt, which would be a big blow.

I think Hanley has benefitted from playing in the middle of a three for us and I'm not sure how he'd do in a two. His recovery pace is obviously great but it would put all of the ball-playing on Porteous (Hendry's passing is pretty poor but his carrying and composure are at least better than Hanley). 

12 hours ago, NickMcG said:

I know there's history there but I wonder if Ryan Fraser doesn't feel a little bit hard done by. Clarke is picking players that are hardly playing after all.

If you compare the players who're playing using the metric Steve Clarke suggested (Average minutes across the season) you can see Billy Gilmour and Ryan Fraser stand out for a lack of game time so in a sense it is understandable why Ryan Fraser hasn't been called up and I believe Steve Clarke has explained why Billy Gilmour has retained his place.

I think sometimes you can look a bit too much into the minutes. We have all had six months to sit and watch and say this one isn’t playing and that one isn’t playing. When you look at the average minutes over the course of the season, with one or two exceptions, they are all getting enough football. 

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/23386684.celtic-issue-behind-greg-taylors-scotland-squad-omission-revealed/ 

image.thumb.png.e97835f193f56aa80a399183e3a7d33a.png

Then add that to what Steve Clarke has said previously about Ryan Fraser:

I said in March that we'd had a chat after he missed the two friendly matches. Ryan wasn't playing for Newcastle at the time but I said that if Ryan is fit and playing regularly then he is one we have to consider for selection. That's why he's in the squad this time.

Steve Clarke, September '22

https://youtu.be/-oxpJyUMgdU

In March I had a discussion with Ryan. He wasn’t playing at Newcastle and it was better for him to stay there and get himself in the team then he would be selected based on performances for Newcastle. He was injured in the summer so I couldn’t pick him then. Now he’s in the team and performing well at the start of the season and he’s in the squad.

Steve Clarke, September '22

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/21401258.scotland-manager-steve-clarke-explains-newcastle-united-training-photo-ryan-fraser-recall/

Then add that to what Steve Clarke has said presumably about Billy Gilmour:

If you look at it over the course of the season most of the boys have had a lot of minutes. There's one or two in the squad that maybe I've been a little bit loyal too to bring them in and keep them involved in it and I think that's important because the ones that I'm speaking about will be a big part of the Scotland squad moving forward I hope.

Steve Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjB7h21cwi4

Edited by 2426255

Aye Hendry would really be a miss. Would expect Porteous to come in for him in a back 4 against Cyprus if so. My guess would be:

Gunn

Hickey Hanley Porto Tierney

McTom McGregor

Christie   Mcginn  Robertson 

Adams 

3 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Aye Hendry would really be a miss. Would expect Porteous to come in for him in a back 4 against Cyprus if so. My guess would be:

Gunn

Hickey Hanley Porto Tierney

McTom McGregor

Christie   Mcginn  Robertson 

Adams 

I don't think we'll be a million miles away from that if i'm being honest. Will Clarke solve the latest chapter of the Robertson & Tierney conundrum by playing Robertson at left of an attacking Midfield 3.....I'm not totally sure he will but it wouldn't surprise me. Yes it solves the problem but it's failed a few times when it's been tried. Clarke likes his 4-2-3-1 but he also stuck with 5-3-2 for a long time and I just have a wee sneaky that he could either leave Tierney on the bench or switch back to his 5-3-2. He also favours Armstong "to unlock the Defence", and I doubt that Clarke will leave him out in a game where we are expecting to have alot of the ball.

That's what any manager wants though, options and Clarke has got alot of them now. Sure, a number of players aren't playing as regularly as he and we would all want them to play, but I'm sure they'll be ready to come in. No we have found, what we believe is, the answer to the Goalkeeping question, I really hope that a goalscorer could step forward over the coming months. Yes I like Adams, Dykes and Christie (don't know much about Brown) but as goalscorers, I'm just not sure they are prolific enough for club or country.

For the good of his career, I hope Ryan Fraser can sort out a positive move in the summer. I like him and I think Clarke is right in one of the quote above, a fully fit and on song Fraser is an asset to the country. He obviously has previous with Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and Howe doesn't need him to make Newcastle strong, but he has proven he can play at EPL level and I hope he can stay there and be a main stay in whatever team he joins

16 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I wonder if we might end up going with a back three purely due to having so many CBs injured. McTominay and Tierney flanking Hanley. 

It seems that Porteous has been deployed as one of Chris Wilder's overlapping centre-backs recently too.