Which player had the biggest drop off after the amount of potential they initially showed?

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know youre probably joking but hes doing fairly well at Port Vale just now. From memory he hit double figures in League Two for them last season and i think is on course for the same in League One this season. 

Tbh I didn’t know and just threw it out there. 

It’s good he’s actually making a career for himself, seemed like a nice enough guy with whatever issues he had holding him back. 

I think in recent-ish Scottish terms, the best two shouts are Danny Wilson and Ryan Gauld.

I think what makes them better picks than a lot of the shouts of players who never made an impression beyond their own clubs is that both of these guys got a run playing in the top flight in Scotland and obviously looked excellent from the beginning. While they've both had fitba careers that are actually pretty decent, they are both guys who as teenagers looked nailed on to be really high-level players who were going to be well above the level of Scottish fitba.

There are plenty of examples of players who had the odd good game etc as youngsters, but these two looked obviously above the level.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Going back a while, Marc Anthony was as skilled as anyone around, and should have made a career at Celtic.  He had absolutely unreal technical ability.  Unfortunately he couldn’t be arsed and spent his career at Berwick or some such.  

Matthew Knox. It wasn't that he failed to build on promising early performances for Livi because there weren't really any. It was that he failed to justify the transfer interest he'd received from major clubs. There must've been an element of social contagion that happened with him. Once one big club's interest became known, they all thought they better have a look. Then although he went on trial at Liverpool and Man Utd, among others, I think only Rangers made a concrete transfer bid in the end.

29 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Keigan Parker.

shoulda/woulda/coulda played for Scotland.

I always thought Andy Jackson couldve been superb for us in the top flight, if illness hadnt caused him issues, but he was timed perfectly for me in terms of age as a memorable player.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I always thought Andy Jackson couldve been superb for us in the top flight, if illness hadnt caused him issues, but he was timed perfectly for me in terms of age as a memorable player.

Is that the guy who had like 19 for finishing in one iteration of football manager? Was he at Brechin? 

Faisel El Bakhtoui.

Ripped up League 1, smashing in many goals and looking very good, even impressing in cup games against higher league opposition. There was hope he progress with us as we got promoted to the Championship but instead he signed for Dundee in the Premiership.

Apart from a couple of long range goals (which he apparently then tried to replicate in every game, unsuccessfully and much to the frustration of teammates and fans) he did little and was back on loan at us where he was abysmal.

He then moved to Queen of the South, did alright seemingly, then made up some pish about having to play in Morocco in order to be able to play for the national team, as if he was ever under consideration for that.

He's now playing in Serie D.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Going back a while, Marc Anthony was as skilled as anyone around, and should have made a career at Celtic.  He had absolutely unreal technical ability.  Unfortunately he couldn’t be arsed and spent his career at Berwick or some such.  

Was never the same after he met Cleopatra 

Mustapha Dumbaya, genuinely put in some terrific performances at right back in the top flight when he first came to us. Disappeared for ages, came back in our final top flight season with a different name on the back of his shirt (went from Dumbaya to Sima, iirc, christ knows why) and was largely shite, just mind him giving away a penalty against Celtic and looking nowhere near as sprightly.

There's presumably a lot behind the scenes that happened with him, so won't rush to condemn or judge.

Paul Slane. Genuinely thought he would go on to be the next McFadden after he broke through at Motherwell. 
Ended up messing us about with a contract so he could go to Celtic, did his ACL and then used his pay off from an early contract termination for a lively holiday in Amsterdam.