Cove v QP

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Lee Kilday- Miles off it for large parts of the season, including a disaster at home to Alloa which finished 4-3. Struggled badly with injuries, with it being a lottery whether he made it through 90 minutes 

Thought he was excellent once again today.

20 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Thought he was excellent once again today.

Kilday and Thomson are the two that have proved me wrong the most this season. Kilday actually seems to have found an extra yard of pace even though he’s now 30/31? Fair play to him, his composure on the ball has been tremendous this season, an aspect of his game I didn’t realise he had in abundance. His assist for Murray away at Arbroath epitomised that. 

Picked the right game after an absence of years.

As someone in front of me pointed out we used to sing about rivalries with Albion Rovers and Alloa. Weirdly we still sing about Clyde who are about as relevant as Benburb or Inverurie.

Wasn’t really surprised at the result. This QP side are truly spectacular going forward. The quality and speed of passing is astonishing.  Robertson and Anderson would get into this team but can’t think of too many more - Bobby Cameron maybe.

2 hours ago, qpfc said:

Kilday and Thomson are the two that have proved me wrong the most this season. Kilday actually seems to have found an extra yard of pace even though he’s now 30/31? Fair play to him, his composure on the ball has been tremendous this season, an aspect of his game I didn’t realise he had in abundance. His assist for Murray away at Arbroath epitomised that. 

Kilday's run against Thistle, where he nearly scored one of the many goals of the season contenders, which he has also added to his game 

I love Queen’s Park FC. The improvement in every player is ridiculous since Coyle came in. Cove’s home record? Behave. We won every single 2nd ball and went tonto. Cove were lucky we stopped at 6. I realise this will come across as cocky as f**k but I think it’s justified. Today was a potential banana skin and we strolled it. Simon Murray is arguably the best striker we’ve had since… ? 

1 minute ago, Gall09 said:

I love Queen’s Park FC. The improvement in every player is ridiculous since Coyle came in. Cove’s home record? Behave. We won every single 2nd ball and went tonto. Cove were lucky we stopped at 6. I realise this will come across as cocky as f**k but I think it’s justified. Today was a potential banana skin and we strolled it. Simon Murray is arguably the best striker we’ve had since… ? 

Jim Gillespie and that was a very long time ago

14 hours ago, an86 said:

Phenomenal performance. The Davidson goal is just outrageous. Kept the ball for about half an hour and then crashed it in from the edge of the box. 

Seven of those starters finished twenty-one points behind Airdrie and eight points behind Montrose. Of the four who didn’t, two are young loanees, one signed from Peterhead and the other signed from relegated Dunfermline. Two of our subs came from Cambuslang Rangers and Arthurlie. Gretna, indeed. 

It’s a shame that none of it matters because Dundee, Ayr and Thistle have more fans than us. 

The strike from Jake was the standout goal for me, a real team goal. It epitomes all that this team are about, a strong work ethic with collectivism at the heart of it all. Simon could have taken the shot himself, as many other strokers would have, instead laid off the perfect pass for a teammate.   

Just when I think I will not witness a better performance, the next game comes along. 

What a rinsing that was. Spiders were exceptional and in complete control throughout. 6 but could have easily been 8. When the teams lined up for kickoff I said to my mate standing next to me it looks like boys v men. We looked small, young, inexperienced and lacking physicality all over the park.

We were always going to struggle with 4 out injured and 2 recalled but to be humiliated in that fashion after shipping 6 last week too was severely disappointing.

Murray destroyed the lumbering Morgyn Neill who definitely looked liked he hadn't played in months. Zero pace and got turned time after time.

Glass looked very average but so did our whole team and that's putting a positive spin on it.

Big job to recruit Championship quality players necessary to just stay in this division. Does Hartley have the recruitment skills or will he revert to players he signed before..

Queen's flying. Very interested to see if you strengthen in this window too as in a position of power and the title push is well and truly on.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

6 goals with brutally effective finishing, shut out, superb display from all eleven ......and the best cheeseburger I've had in my puff from Cove's burger van. Some day. 

Have to agree with the comments on the improvement in personal performance under Coyle. He's working wonders.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Wow that’s some scudding!

Good to see McKenzie reprising Lucas Birnstingl for the first & the third an absolute shambles. Cove had given up for the last three.

Knew it was a tricky season up Balmoral way but didn’t realise Hartley had that much work to do. And to think people had written off Coyle after a few poor managerial stints post-Bolton. I’m pleased for him, such a decent, positive minded guy.

Well, that was a grand day oot! Bizarrely my travel buddy and I were discussing on the way up about how to burst this “Glasgow Gretna” bubble and realised how few players we had added to last years team and even they were from humble roots. Good to see so many QP posters on the same page. Not sure what’s more remarkable; the rapid improvements in the likes of Davidson and Thomson or the resurrection of Murray and Kilday but Coyle is the key. The Beuker programme is also likely to be having an influence alongside Coyle’s motivational skills.

Me and buddy also discussed what would happen if some of these heroes dropped out through injury or suspension, do we have depth? As exciting as the game itself was, something happened at the end that makes me believe that all that science and denting of universes we hear about is actually working and will be the promised future.

Our head coach decided to use the healthy six-goal advantage to get the subs on the park, five within 10 minutes. Sensible and predictable. What caught my eye though was how instantly, and until the final whistle, they all just stepped into their role, tempo remained the same, dominance of the opponent remained the same. Didn’t have the same punch as their seniors but that’s okay for now. Putting five subs on is dangerous because they usually all want to impress the boss and the shape of the team crumbles. Not yesterday, solid as a rock. Which says to me we the whole squad are part of this dynamic football style and it’s reasonable to assume, based on the Beuker initiatives, every tier below the first team are being shaped that way too. 

So for all those watching and waiting for the Mileson moment, bad news fellas. This is only going to get better. Time is the only real variable now.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

3 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Amazing how different he is in interviews. :lol:

Totally, seems a nice lad. Doesn't seem so nice when he's celebrating a goal in yer face 😂

2 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

He's nothing like what he is in that interview in 'real life'. Still seems really nervous in front of a camera.

Have you met him down at the docks Cammy Kerr style mate?