Aberdeen v St Johnstone - 8/1/23

Happy with that today, particularly the first half. We should have been cruising at half time with the chances we made, three for Miovski alone. I thought sending Hayes and Vinnie on after an hour freshened us up and two great finishes by Duk was less than we deserved. For the second week in a row I was really impressed by Ramadani, McCrorie was excellent going forward, Duk was fabulous and superb to have Graeme Shinnie back getting in the ref’s face, something we haven’t had at all this season. Let’s see how we do next Sunday.

1 minute ago, afc_blockhead said:

I honestly thought you did from minute 1. The saints keeper took 10-15 seconds with the ball the first time he had it.

I do sympathise with saints fans as Davidsons tactics are abysmal. All hoofball and time wasting.

Aberdeen could have scored a few more today. Deserved win.

We're just slow at everything, since our manager blamed us losing goals on the players for being too quick at throw ins/free kicks really.

Became noticeable to me from 50+ mins that we were purposely wasting time.

Think our tactics, plus the managers comments, confirm we went to Pittodrie hoping for a 0-0. Just awful.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're just slow at everything, since our manager blamed us losing goals on the players for being too quick at throw ins/free kicks really.

Think our tactics, plus the managers comments, confirm we went to Pittodrie hoping for a 0-0. Just awful.

You will know better than me. Seems miserable mate

You urgently need to get rid . Sounds like the board at St Johnstone are trying to piss you off at the moment

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I didn't see this game, obviously, but this seems to be the consensus. Always amazes me when a coach makes a decision that even an amateur can tell you is a dreadful idea.

Aberdeen have some decent attackers but are hopeless at the back. Why would anybody not play against them on the front foot? We went there with half a team missing and could still have scored four times.

St Johnstone have decent players going forward, so that seems a baffling idea.

Just now, afc_blockhead said:

You urgently need to get rid.

Hes contracted until 2025 and last season, while we sat adrift at the bottom and lost to a League Two side in the Scottish Cup, he got handed more money to spend in one window than Owen Coyle, Derek McInnes and Tommy Wright got combined in 15 years.

Hes untouchable because literally nobody is running the club.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I didn't see this game, obviously, but this seems to be the consensus. Always amazes me when a coach makes a decision that even an amateur can tell you is a dreadful idea.

Aberdeen have some decent attackers but are hopeless at the back. Why would anybody not play against them on the front foot? We went there with half a team missing and could still have scored four times.

St Johnstone have decent players going forward, so that seems a baffling idea.

Because he doesn't care who the opponents actually are or how they play. He sees we're playing Aberdeen so he wants to keep it tight and nick a goal if we're lucky, doesn't matter what state theyre in.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We didnt really. Miovski missed at least one easy chance and the offside goal was literally millimetres off. You lot were in awful form, huge pressure on the manager with a fanbase thats easily rattled, and a win would give us a real chance of Europe.

We started time-wasting after 50 odd minutes at 0-0.

Very simplistic St Johnstone take on things.

Home form at pittodrie has been excellent. Performance home to Sevco was top drawer and should have resulted in a victory. Last week was a decent performance as well but just needed a goal and would have been 2 or 3 nil easily. Just not been happening for the team recently but these spells happen in all sports.

Big signing made during the week. 
On paper the home team superior to the away team, regardless of what anybody thinks. 
Home win was a near certainty. And that’s no slight on St Johnstone. Had it been Motherwell/St Mirren/ Livingston etc. would have expected the same outcome. 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Unlistenable, Edinburgh,  squeaky Joe Pasquale a like, turncoat clown.

Kids on he’s a Hearts fan even though he was a h*n growing up.

Cant stand listening to him on Sportsound. 

I heard him talking on Sportsound just after full time and i turned itbover to Superscoreboard. It's saying something when i'd rather listen to Keevins. 

11 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

You will know better than me. Seems miserable mate

You urgently need to get rid . Sounds like the board at St Johnstone are trying to piss you off at the moment

They're sleep walking themselves into right mess. 

Dropping like a stone in the league again and completely ruining the relationship with the fans (making it worse by silence on the subject since and all accounts are about to come out with some iffy excuses for it)

If they now do end up going down as it's not completely out the question playing like that especially via the playoff many of the fans they've given the 🖕 to won't renew the season ticket and they'll soon be in big trouble. 

That wee bit of cash they got from Rangers fans won't seem so great after all. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

@Merkland Redhas trolled all the Aberdeen fans with his fake news about Preston 😀

I'm nominating MR for the Terrible Journalism thread. Daily Record stuff.

If you’re suggesting that Preston didn’t say that, he did. He was having a discussion with Willie Miller on Sportsound and said that Duk wouldn’t get in the Hearts team.

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

@Merkland Redhas trolled all the Aberdeen fans with his fake news about Preston 😀

I'm nominating MR for the Terrible Journalism thread. Daily Record stuff.

Not really. Willie Miller said he plays more than one position and then Allan Preston stumbled about with his words for a bit. Stewart then confirmed Duk would be able to play for Hearts.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Allan Preston thinks Duk isn't good enough for Hearts 🤣

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If you’re suggesting that Preston didn’t say that, he did. He was having a discussion with Willie Miller on Sportsound and said that Duk wouldn’t get in the Hearts team.

MR went for the sensationalist Daily Record 'thinks Duk isn't good enough for Hearts'. When what Preston said is that because of the system that Hearts play, he'd pick Shankland ahead of him. Shankland has scored 18 goals for Hearts this season, so I think that's fair.

He didn't say Duk wasn't good enough for Hearts, which is a very loaded phrase designed to make Preston seem extreme.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

MR went for the sensationalist Daily Record 'thinks Duk isn't good enough for Hearts'. When what Preston said is that because of the system that Hearts play, he'd pick Shankland ahead of him. Shankland has scored 18 goals for Hearts this season, so I think that's fair.

He didn't say Duk wasn't good enough for Hearts, which is a very loaded phrase designed to make Preston seem extreme.

"Would Duk get in the Hearts team?"

"No".

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Not really. Willie Miller said he plays more than one position and then Allan Preston stumbled about with his words for a bit. Stewart then confirmed Duk would be able to play for Hearts.

I heard it. Stewart and Preston said the same thing in different ways.

Duk would be fine in our squad and would get gametime. But to suggest he'd put our striker with 18 goals out the team is incorrect. And that's what Preston said.

He simply never said what you said he did. You need a seat on the naughty journalist step.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

"Would Duk get in the Hearts team?"

"No".

Yip. Which is not the same as he's not good enough for Hearts. Humphrys doesn't get in the team ahead of Shankland, but Hearts pay him to play football, so he's good enough for Hearts. We'd probably take Duk for the Humphrys role. Does he get in the team as in first-choice 11? No.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Yip. Which is not the same as he's not good enough for Hearts. Humphrys doesn't get in the team ahead of Shankland, but Hearts pay him to play football, so he's good enough for Hearts. We'd probably take Duk for the Humphrys role. Does he get in the team as in first-choice 11? No.

🤣

Ok doke.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

You’re being deliberately argumentative here. Preston knows only too well that Duk can play in a variety of positions comfortably. He was asked if Duk would get a game in Hearts team, not if he would replace Shankland, and he said no.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You’re being deliberately argumentative here. Preston knows only too well that Duk can play in a variety of positions comfortably. He was asked if Duk would get a game in Hearts team, not if he would replace Shankland, and he said no.

I don't think I am. I'm just pulling up MR for a sensationalist misrepresentation of what was said. It's like something Kenny McIntyre would say.

This thread went all Old Firm Twitter for a few minutes.

1. Someone posts something inaccurate and misleading.

2. Others fans pile in and say how disgraceful it is. 😀

Preston said TWICE that Hearts play a different system to Aberdeen and that Duk wouldn't fit in as well. Do we play him wide instead of our current options? I don't think so. Even Aberdeen fans were recently criticising Goodwin's decision to play him there, so why would we alter a relatively prolific attack to play him out of his best position?

MR is just looking for controversy where there was none. Some players fit some teams better. Duk is a good player, clearly, but Hearts have no need for him.

And Preston certainly never said 'Duk isn't good enough for Hearts'.

Edited by VincentGuerin