P&B Weight Observers Thread 23/24

Akin to the excellent depression thread, I wonder if there would be any interest in a 'supportive' thread dedicated to those looking to shed some weight this year. 

I'm at the stage now where its becoming detrimental to my health and really needs acted upon. I've always been 'overweight' though for most of the time relatively fit (regular football, cycling, walking etc) but that is becoming increasingly difficult. I'm hoping that maybe some sort of weekly measurement would provide additional support? 

Anyone interested?

Word of caution - regular measurements can be as detomotivating as motivating if you are only tracking weight and don't see the result you want.  Weight can fluctuate and can increase if you're building muscle as opposed to just trying to burn fat even though you'll still get the desired aesthetic changes.

Best thing if concerned about measurements is find a gym with a machine like the Inbody which does a full body analysis and do it once per month.  Not perfect but better than just stepping on the scales weekly. 

4 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Word of caution - regular measurements can be as detomotivating as motivating if you are only tracking weight and don't see the result you want.  Weight can fluctuate and can increase if you're building muscle as opposed to just trying to burn fat even though you'll still get the desired aesthetic changes.

Best thing if concerned about measurements is find a gym with a machine like the Inbody which does a full body analysis and do it once per month.  Not perfect but better than just stepping on the scales weekly. 

Yeah - understood. I've always been classed as 'obese' by the BMI even when, during a brief spell, I barely had an CM of fat on me.  Through employment and sport I've always carried reasonable level of muscle.

I got a set of scales that gives me my body fat percentage too, which is better than just weight.

I've just decided to make it a more long term thing. I want to get down to 80kg (from 91.7) and have given myself a year to do it. 250g of weight lost per week gives me some wiggle (jiggle) room. I'd tried more short term weight loss but my bad habits would kick in and I'd just set myself up for failure.

Intermittent fasting is great. Not eating after 7pm gives me some dietary leeway. Making movement a part of my day (walking or cycling instead of motorised transport). 

Be kind to yourself AM. For a lot of us eating is part of a self soothing emotional survival apparatus that serves a critical purpose. It stops us feeling the feelings we don't want to feel. These feelings often live in the gut. 

Good thread idea. So aye, let's keep it supportive and positive. Everybody is at different stages of their understanding and physical progress too, so whatever weight you are and want to lose, go for it.

@BFTD has to change his username if he comes anywhere near here though 😉.

Reading the obesity thread, no way will be I posting about my own struggles here. Not open to getting the pish ripped out of me even further or told again and again how disgusting I am. I'm well aware of that.

Edited by DA Baracus

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Reading the obesity thread, no way will be I posting about my own struggles here. Not open to getting the pish ripped out of me even further or told again and again how disgusting I am. I'm well aware of that.

Yeah, I get your point. I was kind of hoping this could emulate the depression thread to an extent where it's generally frowned upon to launch the usual abuse.

15 minutes ago, velo army said:

I got a set of scales that gives me my body fat percentage too, which

I can see why that would be useful but (and I'm a naturally cynical person tbf) I'm sceptical of the accuracy of those. Especially the ones that are just an additional setting on a relatively low price set of scales.

11 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Yeah, I get your point. I was kind of hoping this could emulate the depression thread to an extent where it's generally frowned upon to launch the usual abuse.

Aye but it took the depression thread a while to get there. Read the first load of pages and you'll see trolling and other shite.

I just can't be fucked with that right now. Call it fragile or weak or whatever, but I can't be bothered with it at the moment.

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Akin to the excellent depression thread, I wonder if there would be any interest in a 'supportive' thread dedicated to those looking to shed some weight this year. 

I'm at the stage now where its becoming detrimental to my health and really needs acted upon. I've always been 'overweight' though for most of the time relatively fit (regular football, cycling, walking etc) but that is becoming increasingly difficult. I'm hoping that maybe some sort of weekly measurement would provide additional support? 

Anyone interested?

ill get on board with this. i dont run well on soft ground at the moment.

havent weighed myself in a while but i know its high.  there are a lot of pros for me doing this so ill definitely contribute. 

due to a foot problem i can only cycle as exercise.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye but it took the depression thread a while to get there. Read the first load of pages and you'll see trolling and other shite.

I just can't be fucked with that right now. Call it fragile or weak or whatever, but I can't be bothered with it at the moment.

Thanks for being open about how you feel mate. I imagine that you've voiced the feelings of others as well. 

Keep an eye on the thread, and once you feel safe enough to contribute then you can do so. How you do it is up to you. It doesn't need to be "the whole story" whatever that means to you. You don't have to tell us anything about your struggle to lose weight.

Perhaps the value you can bring to the thread in the meantime is being another encouraging voice. Distribute greenies, fiercely deflect the negative self-talk of others, be encouraging. 

Hopefully this will be good to be accountable to a group of random strangers, probably more time posting here than in the Tennents Lager Appreciation Society will help. 

Made some progress last year getting muscle mass up and body fat down to under 25% but I'd like to be 85kg by July from 97kg now. Good luck folks!

I'm too heavy - I'm pretty fit, go to the gym three times a week, try to be fairly active etc.  I carry too much weight though, mainly because I'm not particularly careful about my diet.  It's really complacency - I don't have diabetes, I can still do whatever I want so I can just snack or eat late at night and not really think that it affects me.  It does though and I'm going to try and improve things this year.

Steps I am going to take are:

- Cut out eating outside my meals, especially late at night.  I think my meals are pretty good nutitionally it's just grabbing things when I'm out and about or kind of absent mindedly snacking that do for me.  

- Improve step count a day to around 6000.  I honestly don't have enough time to do 10k steps a day and have averaged 4500 a day so upping that to an average of 6k seems reasonable.

- Introducing some conditioning training - I used to do HIIT after lifting but I've fallen out of that and now just lift weights at the gym.  I am generally quite time pressed with my training so might look at using my long neglected home air bike for this a couple of times a week.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I got a set of scales that gives me my body fat percentage too, which is better than just weight.

I've just decided to make it a more long term thing. I want to get down to 80kg (from 91.7) and have given myself a year to do it. 250g of weight lost per week gives me some wiggle (jiggle) room. I'd tried more short term weight loss but my bad habits would kick in and I'd just set myself up for failure.

Intermittent fasting is great. Not eating after 7pm gives me some dietary leeway. Making movement a part of my day (walking or cycling instead of motorised transport). 

Be kind to yourself AM. For a lot of us eating is part of a self soothing emotional survival apparatus that serves a critical purpose. It stops us feeling the feelings we don't want to feel. These feelings often live in the gut. 

Good thread idea. So aye, let's keep it supportive and positive. Everybody is at different stages of their understanding and physical progress too, so whatever weight you are and want to lose, go for it.

@BFTD has to change his username if he comes anywhere near here though 😉.

Seconded for IF. The first few days you’re a grumpy arsehole (or I was anyway) but your body adapts very quickly. The other benefit is it keeps you mindful - you do start watching much more to not just eat because it’s there and undo your own efforts. Works better than diets where you’re (necessarily) having to think about food a lot more which can act as more of a trigger to eat. 

It is impressive how much a little activity can change weight over a period, but I also caution against regular weigh-ins unless there is a medical reason. After a little bit, your awareness of the fit of pants and shirts gives you better feedback anyway.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't have diabetes, I can still do whatever I want so I can just snack or eat late at night and not really think that it affects me. 

As long as you take your insulin properly you can eat whatever you want whenever you want with type 1 diabetes.

f**k knows about type 2, though.