Edinburgh VS Falkirk

Just now, Disco Duck said:

To be clear, I’m not berating Falkirk TV for that - they do the best they can.  It’s just a shit ground all round and a good summation of what Edinburgh Council thinks of football.

Why is it Edinburgh Councils responsibility to provide a home for FC Edinburgh?

36 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Why is it Edinburgh Councils responsibility to provide a home for FC Edinburgh?

It’s not, but their home has been Meadowbank for nearly 30 years.  The Council own it, the council redeveloped it, the council designed the facilities with a hugely slashed budget despite protests from all sides (the athletics facilities are a fraction of what they used to be, some of it almost wilfully useless).  But in particular theyve paid scant regard to the football.

Putting in banking for terracing/spectators to get some sort of raised view was proposed and, iirc, refused by the council - can’t remember if it was at planning or if they just refused to pay.  To make the ground appropriate for lower league football wouldn’t take much.

35 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Agree with your post but Meadowbank is not fit for purpose.

Surely must be better options in Edinburgh even if it means a ground share arrangement.

Most definitely, it's the worst ground I've been to in Scotland for watching football. Think their fans have been shafted, I've only been to Ainslie Park once for a game (Falkirk v Pars reserves years ago) and it was miles better than the current stadium. 

10 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

It’s not, but their home has been Meadowbank for nearly 30 years.  The Council own it, the council redeveloped it, the council designed the facilities with a hugely slashed budget despite protests from all sides (the athletics facilities are a fraction of what they used to be, some of it almost wilfully useless).  But in particular theyve paid scant regard to the football.

Putting in banking for terracing/spectators to get some sort of raised view was proposed and, iirc, refused by the council - can’t remember if it was at planning or if they just refused to pay.  To make the ground appropriate for lower league football wouldn’t take much.

Looking at the amount of Community Halls, libraries, swimming pools, council gyms that FDC are looking to shut or offload onto community ownership, I don’t think finding a home for FC Edinburgh will be high on EDC’s priority list. FDC are holding consultations on what they keep and what they shut/offload, Grangemouth Sports Stadium is even on the list and it gets used for national athletic events.

Just a pity we don’t have a benefactor with deep pockets as the council are so skint you have to feel a deal could have been done for TFS.

4 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Looking at the amount of Community Halls, libraries, swimming pools, council gyms that FDC are looking to shut or offload onto community ownership, I don’t think finding a home for FC Edinburgh will be high on EDC’s priority list. FDC are holding consultations on what they keep and what they shut/offload, Grangemouth Sports Stadium is even on the list and it gets used for national athletic events.

Just a pity we don’t have a benefactor with deep pockets as the council are so skint you have to feel a deal could have been done for TFS.

Falkirks budget is materially different to Edinburgh’s for a number of reasons, not least they have a much greater proportion of higher band council tax payers, and a younger more wealthy population so lower spend on elderly social care.

My point is it could easily have been done as a small part of the overall cost - or indeed less cost than what they spent.  Some of the designs at Meadowbank have seen money spent on utterly useless facilities, and I’d include the football side.

Edinburgh is a fantastic city and one id move back to in a heartbeat, if I could afford it.  But it’s a fantastic city despite the Council, not because of them.  Trams, perpetual rearrangement of roads, some of the farcical planning decisions (the Golden Turd at St James Quarter for example). 

Massive digression.  Good win, on to our bogey team!

2 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Falkirks budget is materially different to Edinburgh’s for a number of reasons, not least they have a much greater proportion of higher band council tax payers, and a younger more wealthy population so lower spend on elderly social care.

My point is it could easily have been done as a small part of the overall cost - or indeed less cost than what they spent.  Some of the designs at Meadowbank have seen money spent on utterly useless facilities, and I’d include the football side.

Edinburgh is a fantastic city and one id move back to in a heartbeat, if I could afford it.  But it’s a fantastic city despite the Council, not because of them.  Trams, perpetual rearrangement of roads, some of the farcical planning decisions (the Golden Turd at St James Quarter for example). 

Massive digression.  Good win, on to our bogey team!

Yeah, I work in Edinburgh and love the place. I just don’t see any councils now helping out football clubs as the majority are all allegedly struggling financially.

59 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

No time like the present to approach the council about the stadium. Not fully up to date with what the council are up to, but from family back home, hearing that they are proposing massive cutbacks, as one would say if you don’t ask……….

On 29/01/2023 at 09:14, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Very much stating the obvious but what's the point of Edinburgh City? No real ground and no fans. Feels like they are holding a spot for a team lower down the pyramid whi might have some potential to grow.

Not a dig at the people who follow them.. but doesn't feel like this is the right level for them with that horrendous fan experience and no real prospect of growth.

I'm sorry, I've read some ridiculous comments on P&B, but this one just about tops the lot. 

"Holding a spot for a team lower down the Pyramid"? Like who? That's why there is a pyramid. To encourage teams to progress on the pitch, do something for their communities and see what they can achieve. I am sure the likes of Berwick, Cowdenbeath, Brechin would trade places, but there you are. 

Telling the club to effectively go back to playing on park pitches in the East of Scotland league because your fans outnumbered ours and you didn't get a decent view smacks of elitism and entitlement. 

There are hundreds of comments on any thread involving ECFC about how terrible Meadowbank is to watch football. Everybody gets that, the club gets that, and nobody is questioning that they have been shafted by the council and the local planners. 

Good luck in the play offs. Must be a sore prospect to have to face more games at Meadowbank next year! 

2 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

I'm sorry, I've read some ridiculous comments on P&B, but this one just about tops the lot. 

"Holding a spot for a team lower down the Pyramid"? Like who? That's why there is a pyramid. To encourage teams to progress on the pitch, do something for their communities and see what they can achieve. I am sure the likes of Berwick, Cowdenbeath, Brechin would trade places, but there you are. 

Telling the club to effectively go back to playing on park pitches in the East of Scotland league because your fans outnumbered ours and you didn't get a decent view smacks of elitism and entitlement. 

There are hundreds of comments on any thread involving ECFC about how terrible Meadowbank is to watch football. Everybody gets that, the club gets that, and nobody is questioning that they have been shafted by the council and the local planners. 

Good luck in the play offs. Must be a sore prospect to have to face more games at Meadowbank next year! 

Would have been a good post if you had remained on the high ground and not bothered with the salt at the end IMO. 

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Would have been a good post if you had remained on the high ground and not bothered with the salt at the end IMO. 

We would f**k them again if we were both in the play offs anyway. 

50 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

Agreed with most of your post as I’m sure many of us do on here.

As I expect we will finish second this season, believe me, I’m desperately hoping you guys finish third in order that we have a straightforward play off semi final……