Diddy semi-final #1 - Hamilton's Academicals v The Beautiful South

Otis Blue

8 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Hooked. Did not think he was doing that bad but that is one to destroy a young lads confidence.

If you're not doing as the manager asks then expect to be hooked regardless of the time. As I said at the time, I'm all for it. If he can't meet the standards set by Bartley then he only has a few months left of his contract before he can find someone else. 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Agree on the Cochrane front - he was excellent and I thought Todd and Paton were also very good

Can you tell me in you opinion what Todd and Paton done well. In my opinion Todd holds onto the ball for far to long and lost possession countless times and so many misplaced passes. Paton was bullied for mist of the game and did not give us anything on the night. Cochrane held our midfield together as Todd and Murray were all over the place. Wilson has to get back asap. Gibson has to play further up the park and take the defensive responsibilities away from the young lad and he will thrive. On the night we had a great goalkeeping performance to keep us in it. We lacked any invention in the final third at all. Irving works hard and got his goal but he is not really the answer for us upfront. Ruth obviously now is not in Bartley's eyes after straying him for last 3 games. I think our best option would be to play Connelly, Gibson and Paton as a front 3. As for the defence 🤯 Brydon and Logan will come into the side. Would like to see a new left back as well but getting greedy now. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

If you're not doing as the manager asks then expect to be hooked regardless of the time. As I said at the time, I'm all for it. If he can't meet the standards set by Bartley then he only has a few months left of his contract before he can find someone else. 

In your opinion did he deserve that 5 mins before half time he was not doing anything that merited that.

6 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

In your opinion did he deserve that 5 mins before half time he was not doing anything that merited that.

38 minutes, but yes. In your view he maybe wasn't doing anything wrong but he clearly wasn't carrying out the manager's instructions and was rightly hooked in that case. 

We've been crying and moaning about how soft we have been all season so I'm all for a manager coming in and giving them a kick up the arse. As I say, if being subbed for not performing to the standards required upsets Ruth then I hope he's out the door in May. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

38 minutes, but yes. In your view he maybe wasn't doing anything wrong but he clearly wasn't carrying out the manager's instructions and was rightly hooked in that case. 

We've been crying and moaning about how soft we have been all season so I'm all for a manager coming in and giving them a kick up the arse. As I say, if being subbed for not performing to the standards required upsets Ruth then I hope he's out the door in May. 

I think he will be out the door this month tbh. 

Edited by Manwithnoball

6 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

I think he will be out the door this month tbh. 

I'll say one more thing on this. When he was hooked I wondered how he'd react and he shook hands with some folk before sitting down. No stomping down the tunnel or arguing with Bartley. My interpretation of that reaction is that the players know this is a possibility and so Ruth possibly knew it was on himself for being hooked so early. 

As I say, I'm all for that being implemented. 

Gibson definitely needs to be played in a more forward role, makes things happen up front.

There's a lot of hype about Paton, and he does fine at L1 level but the Accies defence had him in their pockets last night - not sure he'd cut it at a higher level - but who knows, maybe he could still develop.

Bartley clearly likes the energy levels that the young guys like Muir, Irving, Gibson and McKechnie bring to the side and that's refreshing.  They're far from the finished article and don't yet have the necessary decision making in the key moments, but that could still come with coaching.

Murray flatters to deceive.  OK he can do some clever stuff in midfield now and again but he doesn't really affect the game, doesn't recover possession and there is generally no real end product when it counts.  I can't see him being a feature next season.

Managers don't last long in football.  They know that they'll either move on to better things or be sacked.  So they can't afford to mess about and I like that Bartley is a decision maker and is proactive during a game.  If the players aren't doing what he wants they get hooked, simples.  What's not to like?  The players know where they stand, Bartley calls the shots, end of.

3 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Have to say our fans were  excellent last night the signing and the goading of Accies fans was brilliant. Please bring this atmosphere to Palmerston as that is like a library just now 👏👏👏

Agree, and bonus points for “you’re going home to shag your sister” - certainly brought a good laugh in the home end. Might be a reference to the infamous incident in the lift at Motherwell Station a few years back. Therefore point deduction for poor geography 😄

4 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Have to say our fans were  excellent last night the signing and the goading of Accies fans was brilliant. Please bring this atmosphere to Palmerston as that is like a library just now 👏👏👏

Sadly 2/3rds of our core support are not at games due to the clowns in the Boardroom although the young team in Section A had a decent turn out last night.

Good support as always through here from you guys.Our rancid Owners never even publicised the game which is not the case for Fireworks Nights and all the other palaver.

I would have had admission at £5 across the board last night with kids £1_or free as it would have easily tripled the crowd despite our ongoing feud with The Owners of the club.

6 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Hooked. Did not think he was doing that bad but that is one to destroy a young lads confidence.

Ruth was doing no worse than anybody else why not wait till half time then have a word or make a change .

Any confidence Ruth had will be gone.

I will admit Irving did well when he came on 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Bit harsh.

I'm no great fan of the player, but making the change a few minutes before half time strikes me as unnecessarily humiliating.  

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Bit harsh.

I'm no great fan of the player, but making the change a few minutes before half time strikes me as unnecessarily humiliating.  

It was closer to 10 minutes left in the half tbf. It's personal choice I suppose but given our last two managers have kept players on who were having shockers/reluctant to make changes when we've been gagging out for a change, I find that kind of approach refreshing tbh. If nothing else it surely makes the players realise that if they aren't doing what's expected of them they're in danger of the same treatment. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

It was closer to 10 minutes left in the half tbf. It's personal choice I suppose but given our last two managers have kept players on who were having shockers/reluctant to make changes when we've been gagging out for a change, I find that kind of approach refreshing tbh. If nothing else it surely makes the players realise that if they aren't doing what's expected of them they're in danger of the same treatment. 

Yes but applying that type of pressure doesn't necessarily get the best out of individuals either.

This is professional football though. Bartley isn't paid to be nice. If the players don't do what he's asked them then we could lose the game. If he loses too many games he gets sacked.  The game only lasts 90 minutes, so if it's not working out after 40 minutes then the manager's only got another 50 to sort it. It might be brutal but that's professional sport. If these players see themselves making it to the very top level then they're going to have a lot more of that to face in the future. The game needs strong characters and Bartley knows what's required. He doesn't mess about and I like it.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes but applying that type of pressure doesn't necessarily get the best out of individuals either.

Not always, no. But the softly softly approach certainly hasn't worked so maybe it's time for a change? 

As I say, if you don't want that humiliation then make sure you're doing your job right to prevent it happening.