Airdrieonians vs Dunfermline

8 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Footage doesn’t clear it up though

Lol, one of those ones were the keeper has the best view and if he's inside the box he stays to prove a point. He shits himself and should have been shown a second yellow.

Screenshot_20230212-103714__01.jpg

10 hours ago, 101 said:

complete collapse indeed. Callum Smith punching the ball away in the middle of the penalty box is nearly as hilarious as the referee not sending the keeper off for sliding out the box with the ball in his arms.

Oooooh do I wait for the extended highlights?! I think so. Cup of tea..maybe a caramel wafer... 

33 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Absolutely, penalty yes, deliberate no and as you say Wighton "had a chance of getting to" so not clear then.

But his intent was to prevent Wighton getting a goal scoring opportunity. You understand that, yes? Or did he just knock it away with his hands for a laugh?

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

Lol, one of those ones were the keeper has the best view and if he's inside the box he stays to prove a point. He shits himself and should have been shown a second yellow.

Not entirely sure that is totally over the line (the Japan v Germany game in the WC comes to mind), but regardless the same handball rules apply to the goalie outside the area as they would to an outfielder. By the time he handles it outside the box there are no Dunfermline players near (the nearest is running away and not even looking) him so it's entirely incidental and therefore there is no basis for a yellow card.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not entirely sure that is totally over the line (the Japan v Germany game in the WC comes to mind), but regardless the same handball rules apply to the goalie outside the area as they would to an outfielder. By the time he handles it outside the box there are no Dunfermline players near (the nearest is running away and not even looking) him so it's entirely incidental and therefore there is no basis for a yellow card.

At the time I thought we had players in a better position to cause pressure had he let go of it in time, as was had he done so airdrie players were in a far better position to come play the ball,  rightly no yellow. 

Still have no idea how anyone can complain over the red/penalty, wighton is absolutely getting onto the ball and getting a clean shot away, at that distance from goal it’s going to be DOGO every time if you illegally prevent that.

25 minutes ago, 101 said:

Checking IFAB this morning… that’s not necessarily the rule though. So if you accept he was out of the box, which is tight. It can just be a foul.

22407A29-F9C2-4BFA-9C44-0DFD162756CF.jpeg

21 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

But his intent was to prevent Wighton getting a goal scoring opportunity. You understand that, yes? Or did he just knock it away with his hands for a laugh?

I know we support the opposing teams here, but that’s genuinely not how I see the incident. I don’t think there’s any chance Smith can have the understanding of what’s going on around him.

I think he probably suffered for the ref not sending off the goalie with a second yellow

3 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I don't think we are going to concur on this one but I do expect we will appeal the red card.

Moving on, Airdrie biggest issue is not Dunfermline it's to secure a play off place and has been for a while now therefore we need to take the positives from yesterday, and there were a few.

I said before the game yesterday that the 2 games after the Dunfermline double header were more important (Falkirk & QOS) albeit yesterday wasn't good for the confidence. Perhaps a loan signing like Etoo standard would give us a boost.

11 hours ago, DaveDAFC90 said:

More to the point what's with Airdries pie options. Only having a scotch pie on offer is a shocker. 

I had 2 very nice steak pies and I can guarantee that you had a better afternoon overall than I did.

Looking forward to my steak bridie next Saturday.

As suspected, nothing wrong with the Wighton goal in the first half. Referee was letting play go, rightly, for much, much worse than that. Just looks like he touches Fordyce and he play acts to make it look like he has been shoved. Awk well, doesn’t matter now. Couple of incredible stops from the Airdrie keeper throughout the game as well btw! Angle is poor for both handballs but think on the grand scheme of things justice was served.

We were rotten for a 25 minute period, but outwith that, we created plenty of chances and thoroughly merited the win.

Happily take another 90+ minutes of that next Saturday!  

9 hours ago, DAFC. said:

I can’t believe how easy we found it to create chances at 3-1. Normally you’d expect some sort of dig and the remaining players to rallied round, but Airdrie’s arse totally collapsed. 

The lack of a clear game plan after the red card was infuriating. We looked clueless and almost like we’d accepted the inevitable collapse. Sat so deep and punted balls up to nobody which let you create wave after wave of attacks. We could maybe have got away with that for 10 minutes but that’s not sustainable for half an hour. No chance we should be losing all semblance of shape, structure and planning after a forward got sent off. 

Some result that. Gutted I missed it. My takes from the 3 main talking points. 

Wighton’s goal should have stood. Nothing in it. 
Close call but keeper did take the ball out of box imo, not sure on the exact rules but can see why no booking as there was no intent to gain an advantage from doing so, he just slid out. I’d be inclined to agree with free kick only. 
Smith knew what he was doing imo, so correct red. 

Aye, looking at some of the stills posted by the Airdrie fans I wondered if maybe the penalty was harsh but seeing it as a moving image and at full speed, I can't see how anyone other than the more blinkered of fans would say that a penalty and a red card wasn't the right decision. Wighton running onto it, middle of the goal, about to get a shot away and claimed for it straight away.

The goalie coming out the box looks like it could have been either way but the movement he makes to drag it back into the box certainly makes it look like he carried it outside. Once he's given it then the decision is yellow, red or nothing and given there was no danger then just a free kick seems fair.

Wighton header looks very soft, looks like the defender gets under it and then feels the slightest of nudges. Probably the right call if the referee is being super strict but those goals are given hundreds of times at grounds all round the UK. Annoying but understandable.

Superb first goal by Todd, who is just having a fantastic season and is one if my favourite players of the past few years. Good to see us still pushing when the game was tied at 3-3 and even when we were 4-3 up. Great reactions at the end too, with Otoo getting some special words from the coaching staff and loving it. 

11 hours ago, DAFC. said:

McGill staunchly declaring it wasn’t a penalty in the post-match interview 🤣 It was the stone-waller to end all stone-wallers, and Smith was rightly given a red card.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Yip, I'm open to the handball and penalty but no way was it deliberate which I believe is a yellow. Again, if any handball rule experts want to dissect and explain further then I'll gladly listen.

I would also question your assertion that it was at Wighton's feet.

2 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I know we support the opposing teams here, but that’s genuinely not how I see the incident. I don’t think there’s any chance Smith can have the understanding of what’s going on around him.

I think he probably suffered for the ref not sending off the goalie with a second yellow

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye, looking at some of the stills posted by the Airdrie fans I wondered if maybe the penalty was harsh but seeing it as a moving image and at full speed, I can't see how anyone other than the more blinkered of fans would say that a penalty and a red card wasn't the right decision. Wighton running onto it,

I've just posted in the Airdrie thread but I've watched that penalty call half a dozen times and I think its incredibly harsh. And I've no skin in the game really here (other than that it being given against Airdrie benefits my club if anything). I don't think he's done that deliberately. I don't think he's got a clue where the ball is.

However, if a penalty is given it's undeniably a red card as it's denial of goalscoring opportunity rather than for the actual handball.

I agree with what CapitalDiamond said. I think any benefit of the doubt was removed by the referee realising very quickly he got it wrong with Josh Rae.

5 hours ago, 101 said:

Also saying it was a "clear push" for our dissallowed goal is just a nonsense.

Did you post this after actually seeing the highlights? A clearer push you'll rarely see.

1 hour ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Some result that. Gutted I missed it. My takes from the 3 main talking points. 

Wighton’s goal should have stood. Nothing in it. 
Close call but keeper did take the ball out of box imo, not sure on the exact rules but can see why no booking as there was no intent to gain an advantage from doing so, he just slid out. I’d be inclined to agree with free kick only. 
Smith knew what he was doing imo, so correct red. 

2 hands on the back and a nudge while the player jumped so that's a foul.

Josh Rae clearly took the ball over the line and pulled it back in. Regardless of momentum carrying him and the ball over the line he was deliberately handling it. The free kick was given so the ref/linesman saw it and it should have been his 2nd yellow.

Just watched the match of the day highlights of West Ham v Chelsea and there is a handball by the West Ham defender while going down in his own box which the ref/VAR decided was not a penalty. There is no way that Smiths can be decreed to be him deliberately denying a goal scoring opportunity when he has fallen after a tackle and rolled into the ball.

So the ref in my opinion got one correct and two completely wrong. Regardless of the red card for Smith "balancing out" the lack of one for Rae that ref needs to face some consequences for these errors.

And on the subject of MOTD I've also watched Wolves, one goal down and reduced to 10 men after 27 minutes go on to win a match. We can't even defend a 3 goal lead for 30 minutes which is an absolute disgrace. Yet again it comes down to game management, or lack thereof, due to both manager and assistant being caught up on the game and not reacting with necessary changes at the right times. I still don't mind them both being players but when the f**k are we going to have someone on the bench or in the stand who can see what is needing changed and relay the info to them. Moaning after the match about full backs not stopping crosses (ridiculous excuse) and players "not putting their bodies on the line" isn't changing anything and it's time the management team accepted their own part in the teams failings then making sure that it doesn't happen again (and again). 

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Predictive typos

See on the highlights, again at full speed, it doesn't look like Smith is rolling, it doesn't look like he's stabilising himself.... looks to me like he's thrown his arm backwards - now you could argue about whether or not he knew the ball was there or deliberately tried to knock it away but that movement makes it look like he was trying to do something, whether knocking the ball away or impeding Wighton or just putting him off. It's not like it just hit him like the Soucek one and it's not like he was sliding to block a cross and it's taken a deflection or anything, it looks - again at full speed which is what the on field referee sees it at - like a movement of the arm towards the ball. It's a penalty all day long IMO and once the penalty is given it's pretty obviously a red for DOGO.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Evens out the Jimmy Sandison one (before your time).

Kick a man when their down, why don't you...

You are going to get pages now of the Sandison incident,  not to mention Syme and the corrupt SEA at the time,   the wounds have healed. Honest...