Lesser Hampden

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Seems unlikely right now given the players are already threatening to sue the SFA for not being treated equally.

The pitch usage is almost comparable with club sides as it is between both national teams, both Scottish cups, league cup, amateur/schools finals, concerts etc. and now it’s getting 15 or so QP games added on. I think something will have to give to avoid the pitch being in terrible condition.

It would certainly be a backwards step for women’s football if it were to happen, given the positive strides with them making Hampden the home of the national team and Scottish Cup, but with these games being amongst the least lucrative and most easily accommodated at a smaller venue then they may be the first to go.

5 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I wonder if this will result in all women’s football being turfed out of Hampden.

Can't see that happening. The women's games at Hampden have been getting attendances of around 3,000 up to 10,000. Even when finished Lesser won't hold any where near that many.

2 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

Can't see that happening. The women's games at Hampden have been getting attendances of around 3,000 up to 10,000. Even when finished Lesser won't hold any where near that many.

I was more thinking a rotation between the likes of Easter Road, Tynecastle, Tannadice, Pittodrie and Rugby Park. Lesser would be far too small.

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

The pitch usage is almost comparable with club sides as it is between both national teams, both Scottish cups, league cup, amateur/schools finals, concerts etc. and now it’s getting 15 or so QP games added on. I think something will have to give to avoid the pitch being in terrible condition.

It would certainly be a backwards step for women’s football if it were to happen, given the positive strides with them making Hampden the home of the national team and Scottish Cup, but with these games being amongst the least lucrative and most easily accommodated at a smaller venue then they may be the first to go.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm talking nonsense, but I think, that in part at least, some of the issues with the hampden pitch is that there is an underground water source that run right below the pitch. (Interestingly, the same issue at McDiarmid park). Unless there is some extensive (and expensive) works done, it's not likely to be resolved easily.

I also don't think that Hampden in general is that well maintained on and off the pitch. You could argue that regular games could in a way help in that it would result in more maintenance.

I actually don't mind Queens park playing there as even though the no longer own it, Hampden will always be theirs. I do think lesser Hampden looks like it might end up being a bit of a pointless exercise if it only gets used for men's A team training and Queens park games only if they are below the Championship (assuming that is the plan).

Lesser has/will have a fine Capacity for League 1 and League 2 and fells right to use it there.

We have a strange fascination in Scotland with clubs having to have stadiums way bigger than really needed, that other countries do not have. 

On 09/06/2023 at 14:11, lubo_blaha said:

I was more thinking a rotation between the likes of Easter Road, Tynecastle, Tannadice, Pittodrie and Rugby Park. Lesser would be far too small.

Ah, sorry, i'd misunderstood your previous post.

That makes a bit more sense, but I still think it's probably unlikely as the SFA have been making a faifmr biymt if noise about Hampden being the home for the women's national team. Of course they could quite easily change their mind and tour the country.

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The SFA aren't paying to hire grounds when they now have Hampden at their disposal.

It is unlikely but I don’t see how the pitch is going to cope with 30-40 games/concerts over the course of a year.