Well v Well Rejects

Realise every player says this but Johnston was interviewed on Sportsound after the game and said he 100% was trying to shoot. Said he realised no-one was in the box and went for it. 

Tbf to him, he wouldn't have had a chance to see a replay before they asked him, so don't think he could know there was no-one in the box unless he thought it at the time. Doubt that corner of the goal was where he was aiming but inclined to believe it was an attempt on goal. Thought he was superb last night regardless.

Anyone genuinely think Saints get a penalty if Main falls down with a similar level of contact from McGinn as he gave.

Never seen a player be awarded less fouls per actual fouled than Main, nor be given so many soft ones against him.

As someone said above though; the most one-sided display of refereeing I've ever seen was by Beaton in the second play off leg against Dundee United.  It was beyond blatant, and if Hladky hadn't saved all of United's penalties in the shoot out, I'm sure we'd have made more of it.  We still should have.

It's probably not that he dislikes St Mirren - he's maybe just under instructions to have 'big' clubs in the SPFL top league 🙂.

Well certainly needed that win last night.

5 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Never seen a player be awarded less fouls per actual fouled than Main, nor be given so many soft ones against him.

Yep - was definitely the case when he was with us too. I think refs feel that as he's a fucking tank, the bar is higher. Unless he's changed, he's a shite diver though, so he's better staying on his feet TBH.

5 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Anyone genuinely think Saints get a penalty if Main falls down with a similar level of contact from McGinn as he gave.

As someone said above though; the most one-sided display of refereeing I've ever seen was by Beaton in the second play off leg against Dundee United.  It was beyond blatant, and if Hladky hadn't saved all of United's penalties in the shoot out, I'm sure we'd have made more of it.  We still should have.

It's probably not that he dislikes St Mirren - he's maybe just under instructions to have 'big' clubs in the SPFL top league 🙂.

Well certainly needed that win last night.

Joel Nouble.

27 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

20 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Joel Nouble.

I think referees are generally just extremely bad at being balanced where physical forwards are concerned. The same thing happens down the divisions, with Jai Quitongo this season and Gozie Ugwu last season being prominent examples for us of players who could get clattered for 90 minutes and get nothing, but are penalised the second they go within two yards of a defender.

Part of this is just the general tendency of referees to let defenders of all teams away with murder and award them ridiculously soft freekicks when they'd never give a centre forward anything for the exact same challenges, but being well built definitely makes referees more inclined to view the forward unfavourably. None of the four players mentioned here are half as dirty as some forwards who are built like the side of a fiver, but Brian Graham doesn't look like he's going to ragdoll a defence so gets away with being incapable of challenging for a header without flinging his elbows wildly at anyone who comes near him, where Curtis Main would be sent off before his feet touched the ground if he attacked a ball in the same way.

Edited by Dunning1874

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

Losing to a junior outfit seems to have taken its toll.

It's weird because they were the ones accusing us of getting over-excited about our recent victory up there. Yet here they are stalking our match threads because they've thought of something else funny to say about one of their former players. It's odd behaviour tbh.

33 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Apologies if already been mentioned but a stat I heard from last night the St.Mirren team had more Motherwell appearances than the actual Motherwell team.

Wouldn't shock me if they had more appearances for Motherwell than st mirren either 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Apologies if already been mentioned but a stat I heard from last night the St.Mirren team had more Motherwell appearances than the actual Motherwell team.

27 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

Wouldn't shock me if they had more appearances for Motherwell than st mirren either 

Not sure if I didn't English so good or being wooshed?

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Dons fans are rattled.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Losing to a junior outfit seems to have taken its toll.

I would have thought that given all that we have gone through in the past few weeks, and we’ve still got the brass neck to post on other teams match threads, is proof positive that we’re not rattled.