Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Is this some kind of tenuous justification for how votes cast should just about balance out, and it all fine then?

No, I don't see how the number of members would affect the result.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No, I don't see how the number of members would affect the result.

If more ballots have been sent than active members, there is clearly an issue with the process and it has to be null and voided.

I can’t see that any other argument / justification is valid.

Just now, Abdul_Latif said:

If more ballots have been sent than active members, there is clearly an issue with the process and it has to be null and voided.

I can’t see that any other argument / justification is valid.

I'm sure that's the case in every election.

2 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

It would be genuinely funny if the contest was re-run with Yousaf winning by more and that lunatic Regan getting an Alba-esque 1.66% tbf. 

Or, alternatively, if it wasn’t rerun and Regan won.   Or got thrashed.  Whatever the result, she’s the hilarious consequences candidate.  

The unfortunate thing for Regan is that most of the members who might have voted for have probably ripped up their membership cards with the encouragement of her biggest supporter, Stuart Campbell.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I've clearly missed this: where did Mi-Voice or the SNP confirm there were 78,000 ballots?

If that's the case then yes, the process should absolutely be restarted with all ineligible voters removed and those responsible for providing the incorrect figure removed from their positions.

It was widely reported that Mi-Voice received 78,000 names from SNP HQ to issue online ballots papers. This wasn't disputed by SNP HQ.

It was then subsequently reported that SNP membership had dropped to 72,186.

This suggests there are approximately 5.8k more ballots than members. I guess it could be lapsed members within 3 months? So memberships lapsing from 15 December 2022 to 15 February 2023? It's all a bit unclear.

Added to that, there are instances of long time lapsed members receiving ballots.

It shouldn't be that difficult to do a vlookup in excel between membership numbers of the ballots issued and the membership database (assuming its up to date).

However, I suspect the membership database is a shambles so there is no master list that has been maintained and is accurate. Without undertaking a proper bump and tick of the membership list and checking when each one made their last membership payment to the bank. Which would be pretty labour intensive process for 70,000+ members.

If the result is a close one this could be problematic. I expect there may be a carve up in any case for the sake of unity unless Regan wins.

The levels of media and public hysteria and black propaganda surrounding this election process is off the scale.  Unless of course anyone expects the winning candidate to do something unprecedented like illegally invading a sovereign country somewhere in the Middle East or perhaps tanking the UK economy and plunging millions into hardship.

Imagine the reaction if either were ever to happen.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The levels of media and public hysteria and black propaganda surrounding this election process is off the scale.  Unless of course anyone expects the winning candidate to do something unprecedented like illegally invading a sovereign country somewhere in the Middle East or perhaps tanking the UK economy and plunging millions into hardship.

No One Tumbleweed GIF

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

In fairness, Peter Dow, once of this parish and who I daresay is firmly a Reganite, advocates an independent Scotland takes unilateral military action against Germany - possibly even unilateral nuclear action - to prevent them developing nuclear weapons in the case of a second coming of Hitler.  Your scenario is not completely beyond the realms of public discourse.  

Edit: I’m really not making any of that up. 

Edited by Savage Henry

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

In fairness, Peter Dow, once of this parish and who I daresay is firmly a Reganite, advocates an independent Scotland takes unilateral military action against Germany - possibly even unilateral nuclear action - to prevent them developing nuclear weapons in the case of a second coming of Hitler.  Your scenario is not completely beyond the realms of public discourse.  

Edit: I’m really not making any of that up. 

As he should. Can’t be too careful when it comes to Germans. 

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure that's the case in every election.

Not around my way. A thorough check is conducted by officials  against the current  Voters Register before a numbered ballot paper is recorded and issued. The Ballot paper can be completed (or not) in a voting booth and placed in a ballot box. A checking system is also in place for proxy votes although this has been shown to be open to abuse. There is no secure system of voting by E-Mail or on line and I await the final audited result of the SNP vote with interest now the full and definitive number of eligible voters has been issued.

11 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Not around my way. A thorough check is conducted by officials  against the current  Voters Register before a numbered ballot paper is recorded and issued. The Ballot paper can be completed (or not) in a voting booth and placed in a ballot box. A checking system is also in place for proxy votes although this has been shown to be open to abuse. There is no secure system of voting by E-Mail or on line and I await the final audited result of the SNP vote with interest now the full and definitive number of eligible voters has been issued.

That's assuming the electoral roll is up to date and correct which it almost certainly won't be by the day of the vote.