Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

How much of a tax increase would it take to persuade people to leave Scotland for England?

I am actually one of those people who pay more tax now and I also work in a team that’s based in England and Scotland so if I really wanted to I could relocate pretty easily. I can’t be arsed though. Seems like a bother. If I was going to relocate like that I’d move to the US or Canada where people doing jobs like mine tend to earn far larger salaries. Comparatively poor pay for professional jobs is a strange feature of the British economy that people don’t seem to cotton on to.

Nivver mind income tax, it's stamp duty that's the real kick in the nads for over achievers like myself 🙂

Lad I know just bought a house in East Lothian for over 400k. Will cost him 15k stamp duty, would be 8k south of the Rio tweed which is only 30 miles away. Plus to pay that 15k as a higher tax rate payer will need 24k of income as he's about 10k into the 41% band up here. It'd be less down south because the threshold is now 7k more there.

The Jakies and overseas mob with no skin in the tax paying game will go "oh my heart bleeds" but the point is if he fucks off over the border he saves that money and scotgov Lose's it all

Edited by orfc
Spelinge

29 minutes ago, orfc said:

Nivver mind income tax, it's stamp duty that's the real kick in the nads for over achievers like myself 🙂

Lad I know just bought a house in East Lothian for over 400k. Will cost him 15k stamp duty, would be 8k south of the Rio tweed which is only 30 miles away. Plus to pay that 15k as a higher tax rate payer will need 24k of income as he's about 10k into the 41% band up here. It'd be less down south because the threshold is now 7k more there.

The Jakies and overseas mob with no skin in the tax paying game will go "oh my heart bleeds" but the point is if he fucks off over the border he saves that money and scotgov Lose's it all

And yet he chose to stay in Scotland....  

Anyway....... what we have at the moment is a devolved gov with limited revenue raising capability.

Much of these limited powers are currently used attempting the mitigation of the Westminster shitshow. That being the case, the fiscal levers that Scotgov do possess under devolution are only ever going to be used to increase taxation.

It's a trap.

An independent state has access to the full set of fiscal levers and monetary policy. 

There is nothing to suggest iScotland will be poorer than rUK. Therefore nothing to suggest direct taxation will necessarily be higher this side of the border. It may be the opposite.

1 hour ago, Marlo Stanfield said:

HelpfulInsignificantAnchovy-size_restricted.gif.d283aa21be76790740ec8ed2de5f60db.gif

I'm due another name change soon actually.

29 minutes ago, George Cowley said:

It’s ok @BTFD I’ve got this. 

There's a new rule being added to the Dead Pool - people who change usernames mid-season and put my spreadsheet out of alphabetical order get a cumulative penalty of -10000 over every Dead Pool they ever enter. You've got me that angry I'm not even going to post the Clockwork Orange gif at old man Danger.

41 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

There is nothing to suggest iScotland will be poorer than rUK. 

1. The withdrawal of the £20-odd billion Barnett bonus.
2. The multi-billion cost of setting up a new state.

Those are just the immediate and tangible losses.

There's a reason why - for over 20 years - the Nats have failed to provide an economic case for iJock.  This is because it looks like shite and they prefer to kid you on.

Edited by The_Kincardine

3 hours ago, virginton said:

The SNP candidate who has just pointed out limits to what can be done, has had that statement turned into a Sickening Betrayal of Left Wing Scotland after 0.03 seconds of 'debate'.

That's the brainless echo chamber dynamic that is contributing dragging the SNP downwards - the 'Laebur left me' crew from 2014/15 think that they exclusively own the joint now. 

Well indeed - the Republic of Ireland can and does impose radically different tax policy to the UK despite having a land border between the two states.

A fully sovereign country that confers entirely different rights and entitlements to its citizens - and also has the fundamental legitimacy of statehood to impose obligations - can pursue a broadly independent tax policy. The Scottish Government cannot do anything even remotely similar in either direction until it has political sovereignty. 

Completely agree with you, the notion that we cant control our policies as an independent country incase our neighbour does something different is quite the take. 

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Completely agree with you, the notion that we cant control our policies as an independent country incase our neighbour does something different is quite the take. 

Eh?  The entire shtick of IndyJock in EuroLand is to ensure that, "we cant control our policies as an independent country incase our neighbour does something different"

Edited by The_Kincardine

Amongst all this talk of a lurch to the right, I'm reminded about the grave concerns of Michael Matheson and the hokey cokey...

"Michael Matheson, the SNP MSP, stressed the need for the police and football clubs to be aware of the sinister background of the song, and to take action"

Whereas I've no doubt about his good intentions, there are things that a yet to be convinced indy voter will be enthused by and the hokey cokey is not one of them.  My hustings question, if I had one would therefore be ... "Where do you stand on the hokey cokey?"

12 minutes ago, sophia said:

"Where do you stand on the hokey cokey?"

"With my left foot in" about covers it.

7 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

We can’t be that far away from one of the staunch unionists posting a photo of a Laffer curve as some sort of check-mate.

We who eschew the daft notion of partitioning Britain are just wondering where our next popcorn fix will come from...

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Eh?  The entire shtick of IndyJock in EuroLand is to ensure that, "we cant control our policies as an independent country incase our neighbour does something different"

No, im sorry to correct you, but the rampant shift to the far right in England and our desire to not sink boats of migrants off the channel or deport traumatised victims to Rwanda etc is just one example of something different most Scots want. 

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No, im sorry to correct you, but the rampant shift to the far right in England and our desire to not sink boats of migrants off the channel or deport traumatised victims to Rwanda etc is just one example of something different most Scots want. 

There is not a jot of difference between the boat-botherers of England and the border-builders of Scotland.  You are both selling the vile snake oil of identity and division and use the same rhetoric.

And don't use the 'sorry to correct' tripe.  You're not at all.