Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Or....

The further to the right Labour move under Starmer, the more Scots will become alienated by that and come to view secession from UK as how to get the governance they want. It was under Blair's Labour governance that the SNP vote originally rose to significance.

That's not a prediction from me but it is a rational alternative to yours. There definitely isn't "certainty".

The support for Regan and Forbes would suggest a large part of the SNP is not exactly left leaning.  If Labour does continue to look like Conservative-lite, the SNP aren’t going to be helped by bring led by a fairly conservative Forbes or a savage loonball like Regan. 

I confess that I am guilty of sometimes watching the House of Commons on TV.  I'd encourage folk to do that. Anyone familiar with the goings-on there would surely struggle to see Starmer as much of an improvement.  His performances at PMQs is bland and occasionally ridiculous. I'm surprised that Flynn has only been caught on camera once saying WTF was that. 

Labour supporters in Scotland looking to Starmer might change their view if they saw him in action. (cue Kenneth Williams...) 

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

The support for Regan and Forbes would suggest a large part of the SNP is not exactly left leaning.  If Labour does continue to look like Conservative-lite, the SNP aren’t going to be helped by bring led by a fairly conservative Forbes or a savage loonball like Regan. 

Sure, that seems apparent. I don't know who these folk are or what they're doing. Are they just about independence for pure identity reasons and not due to any political conviction? For me, the independence movement as a whole should be as left as possible. I don't see the point otherwise, both in terms of electoral strategy and ideals.

A few Unionists are popping their loads a bit early here.

A bad election for the SNP would see them handily dispatching everyone else and remaining the biggest party by a margin imo. The gap is huge. The SNP could lose 10% of the vote and still hoover up seats.

3 hours ago, sophia said:

That poll isn't from SNP members though, so it's likely that Humza being the best known would do particularly badly amongst the unionists in the sample.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That poll isn't from SNP members though, so it's likely that Humza being the best known would do particularly badly amongst the unionists in the sample.

That was his spiel tonight on the debate and I didn't believe him either.

There's only one way to get indy over the line and that is to convince that section of our electorate that will make the difference.

As much as we'd like to pretend that we can do that from the left, the smart money and the smartest leadership voters know the road to success.

25 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Looks like Ash has got her next job lined up. She’ll get promoted to boaby checking outside the can when Abla get into power.

I can't decide what is funnier about this: Regan's team claiming her clownshoes performance as a "victory"; or Torrance pretending that the staff recognised who Regan was, let alone being "thrilled" to meet her. 

Edited by DrewDon

Just now, sophia said:

There's only one way to get indy over the line and that is to convince that section of our electorate that will make the difference.

As much as we'd like to pretend that we can do that from the left, the smart money and the smartest leadership voters know the road to success.

You can have your Kate Forbes but you'll need her to be a Mette Fredriksen. That is, conservative on social issues but at least leftish-leaning (welfarist) on economics and loudly so. The next UK government is going to be Starmer's Labour and the only category of unionist in Scotland still available to be persuaded to the independence side are Labour voters in urban, mainly central belt areas. That's your extra numbers needed for a referendum win. They could be won by being to the left of Starmer's Labour. This idea that Forbes moving SNP rightwards could win over rural Lib Dem voting unionists, I think it's very unlikely and even if correct wouldn't give you the numbers.

9 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

You can have your Kate Forbes but you'll need her to be a Mette Fredriksen. That is, conservative on social issues but at least leftish-leaning (welfarist) on economics and loudly so. The next UK government is going to be Starmer's Labour and the only category of unionist in Scotland still available to be persuaded to the independence side are Labour voters in urban, mainly central belt areas. That's your extra numbers needed for a referendum win. They could be won by being to the left of Starmer's Labour. This idea that Forbes moving SNP rightwards could win over rural Lib Dem voting unionists, I think it's very unlikely and even if correct wouldn't give you the numbers.

You can frame it as rural v urban if it pleases but I rather think that there are swing voters right across the country that can be persuaded.

31 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Sky asking important questions ffs

Wildly out of touch. Your average Scot thinks of JK Rowling as some c**t who wrote shite books for private school kids. National treasure, FFS, they should've ripped into Rowling as exactly the sort of sneering establishment figure they oppose.

32 minutes ago, sophia said:

Haven't watched tonight's debate but it would be a brave person who bet on that a move to the right from the progressive centre left wouldn't lose more votes than those gained from wobbly conservatives.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Haven't watched tonight's debate but it would be a brave person who bet on that a move to the right from the progressive centre left wouldn't lose more votes than those gained from wobbly conservatives.

You can frame it as a move to the right if you wish.

I'd prefer to think of it as the possibility of making good decisions.

25 minutes ago, sophia said:

You can frame it as a move to the right if you wish.

I'd prefer to think of it as the possibility of making good decisions.

I haven't decided who to vote for yet, I'm still waiting to hear her strategy for growing the economy and expanding the tax base to provide the cash for all the goodies she's promising. As Finance Secretary she must have some kind of clue.

The middle ground is where its at. The party has tacked too far to the left and the progressives seem to be driving all policy. Which has led to the pursuit of wedge issues and culture war pish.

Get back to solidly governing and do it from the middle ground. That's how you win more than 50%.

Jeremy Corbyn is a good case study in moving to the left. It wouldn't be as pronounced in Scotland but the result would be the same imo. Moving leftwards is not the answer nor is going too far to the right. Back to the middle, it allows you to keep the tent nice and big.