The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

I see the EU refused to talk to Humza about Scotland's pending independence - how will he blame that on the media, Westminster, Brexit? - waiting with baited breath to hear what Nicola says in his earpiece

Maybe he should listen to the majority of Scots

9 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

I see the EU refused to talk to Humza about Scotland's pending independence - how will he blame that on the media, Westminster, Brexit? - waiting with baited breath to hear what Nicola says in his earpiece

Is that because the UK is no longer part of the EU and as a "third country" not only is the UK sidelined but Scotland, as part of the UK, is a region?

20 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

You saw this?

My guess is that your repeating something you've read elsewhere. Source?

That majority voted for SNP at our last SGE. He's listening to that majority.

1 minute ago, Zern said:

You saw this?

My guess is that your repeating something you've read elsewhere. Source?

That majority voted for SNP at our last SGE. He's listening to that majority.

Possibly also listening to the majority of Scots(born) who voted YES in the 2014 referendum.

Or maybe the majority of Scots (of all kinds) who voted REMAIN in the 2016 referendum.

wHy WOnt hE LisTEn!?:)*

30 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

"Baited"

FFS

Please continue to demonstrate your ignorance

1 hour ago, DublinMagyar said:

Possibly also listening to the majority of Scots(born) who voted YES in the 2014 referendum.

Or maybe the majority of Scots (of all kinds) who voted REMAIN in the 2016 referendum.

wHy WOnt hE LisTEn!?:)*

Please do not conflate these two things. 

I voted Remain and have absolutley zero interest in Humza speaking to anyone from the EU. He does not speak for me and it's always been bizarre to see people presume Remainers would put a new entry into the EU above maintaining the Union. 

In my social group the vast majority are Unionists that voted to Remain in the EU. 

4 hours ago, razamanaz said:

Did HY speak to "the EU" about "Scotlands pending Independence"? I missed that.

Can you provide a link to this story?

Even some made up shite from twatter would be helpful.

3 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Please do not conflate these two things. 

I voted Remain and have absolutley zero interest in Humza speaking to anyone from the EU. He does not speak for me and it's always been bizarre to see people presume Remainers would put a new entry into the EU above maintaining the Union. 

In my social group the vast majority are Unionists that voted to Remain in the EU. 

Your social group being "The Rangers"?

Filed>bin>sea>sun

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

He won't, because he's drivelling shite.

Brussels can't discuss these matters with Holyrood directly, even if they want to.  I thought this would have been obvious to people since 2014 when the SNP wanted to ask Brussels if an independent Scotland would be welcome in the EU and it had to be done through Westminster. Incidentally, Westminster never passed their response onto Holyrood.

7 hours ago, razamanaz said:

I see the EU refused to talk to Humza about Scotland's pending independence

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Another link-free story from the Yoons? Colour me surprised!

Here's the link to the actual story

https://archive.is/bL8e6

Humza is meeting with Maros Sefcovic, the vice-president of the European Commission today, but the UK Government is insisting that a Civil Servant sits in on the meeting.

As @StellarHibee correctly points out above, the UK Government were told that the EU would answer questions about Scotland joining the EU only if these questions were posed by the UK Government. The EU are just being consistent.

As far as I am aware, the UK Government never asked - maybe they were worried what the answer might be, and preferred to rely on speculation?

Funny that.

18 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

"told to bolt" 

I'm sure that they were more polite than my framing tbf, but the overall situation is the same no ?

56 minutes ago, Herc said:

I'm sure that they were more polite than my framing tbf, but the overall situation is the same no ?

Any formal meeting would be impossible. Any country that is not in the EU is a "third country", so the UK is now classed as a "third country" thanks to Brexit.  It seems any discussions would have to be with the UK government. Ironically, Scotland would be classified as a region.  I'm fairly sure informal talks and meetings will still be taking place. I'd imagine the EU might be more welcoming to Scottish Government representations about, well, most things, than the UK government's dragging Scotland out of the EU against the majority vote to stay.

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

Any formal meeting would be impossible. Any country that is not in the EU is a "third country", so the UK is now classed as a "third country" thanks to Brexit.  It seems any discussions would have to be with the UK government. Ironically, Scotland would be classified as a region.  I'm fairly sure informal talks and meetings will still be taking place. I'd imagine the EU might be more welcoming to Scottish Government representations about, well, most things, than the UK government's dragging Scotland out of the EU against the majority vote to stay.

I think you're overestimating how much the EU cares tbh. The EU is in full agreement with the current arrangement of no formal discussions and the babysitting by UK civil servants.

5 hours ago, moses1924 said:

What's a second country then, assuming member states are 1st countries?

I put a reply earlier but realised it was wrong so here's another try. This is the definition for third party:

a third person or organization less directly involved in a matter than the main people or organizations that are involved

Well I think third country is the same idea.