Dumbarton vs Elgin City

Like others, I was glad when I saw the starting line up, and thought the changes were correct, albeit I've said recently (and seemingly ruffled a few feathers) that league position is more important than performances, but today was absolutely inexcusable and the coaching staff and players all need to take a long, hard look at themselves after serving up that "performance". I'll accept  workmanlike/professional/grinding/unspectacular performances when the points are rolling in, but today wasn't that. You could see that we weren't at the races from minute one. And that's not acceptable.

Hell of a result for us and completely unexpected. I’m sure Dumbarton fans are livid with a poor performance but we’ve had so many poor results against teams that have barely turned up it is nice to get 3 points for once. Results at the bottom went our way too (yes we are looking nervously at the bottom of the table) so a pint on Saturday night tastes a wee bit better for the the first time in a while!

If any sons fans truly hate themselves the highlights are up. The build up to the penalty is even worse seeing it back, Carswell, Buchanan and Long all managing to make a mistake in some way. Still don't know why someone doesn't just punt it into the Leven. 

I mean I've watched it back a few times and I'm fairly sure Buchanan doesn't actually touch him at all. However, the ball should've been cleared long before it even became an issue.

Edited by Clarko_son

10 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

If any sons fans truly hate themselves the highlights are up. The build up to the penalty is even worse seeing it back, Carswell, Buchanan and Long all managing to make a mistake in some way. Still don't know why someone doesn't just punt it into the Leven. 

I mean I've watched it back a few times and I'm fairly sure Buchanan doesn't actually touch him at all. However, the ball should've been cleared long before it even became an issue.

On reflection I'm wondering if our team on Saturday was fully fit.  Carswell was way below his standard for this season, albeit Hester gave us problems all afternoon, and in the second half he had a couple of rages at no-one in particular - perhaps due to frustration.  I also recall McNiff going down early on, and looking pained as he got up.

These are just observations, but the more concerning aspect was that for the umpteenth time this season the opposition played a passing game whilst we ping the ball about in the hope of a flick-on or long ball producing something.  Significantly we scored from a set-piece on Saturday as that had become our only option.  It was the only time the Elgin keeper was troubled.

I was told that despite the pitch looking horrendous, it wasn’t actually that bad to play on. Not sure I buy that, though, because the ball was bouncing everywhere. Didn’t help that we only resorted to massive punts, rather than trying to play any football.

47 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

These are just observations, but the more concerning aspect was that for the umpteenth time this season the opposition played a passing game whilst we ping the ball about in the hope of a flick-on or long ball producing something.  Significantly we scored from a set-piece on Saturday as that had become our only option.  It was the only time the Elgin keeper was troubled.

This is what annoyed me. We know the park is shit but it doesn't stop every other team coming here and trying to pass the ball while we hoof it long. It was worse on Saturday as our tactic was just hit big Rustys head and whats baffling about that is anyone who has watched Rusty knows he's not just a big lump to hit the ball at, he needs the ball into his body or feet and he uses his size to turn folk or lay it off, flick ons isn't really his thing. Our gaffer had him down as his number 1 target and so far it looks like he hasn't a clue how to use him.

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

This is what annoyed me. We know the park is shit but it doesn't stop every other team coming here and trying to pass the ball while we hoof it long. It was worse on Saturday as our tactic was just hit big Rustys head and whats baffling about that is anyone who has watched Rusty knows he's not just a big lump to hit the ball at, he needs the ball into his body or feet and he uses his size to turn folk or lay it off, flick ons isn't really his thing. Our gaffer had him down as his number 1 target and so far it looks like he hasn't a clue how to use him.

After we took Rusty off the tactic just became hit it long and high to Orsi, Wallace, Gray and Byrne. Basically the 6ft 4 (?) guy had no success so we'll do the same thing with smaller guys. 

Wallace to his credit isn't bad at trying win things in the air etc but up against some bigger centre halves it's basically just a losing battle. Again though, a player we should be trying to utilise the technical ability of and instead seem to resort to having him isolated for most of the game and lumping balls in his general direction.

18 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

After we took Rusty off the tactic just became hit it long and high to Orsi, Wallace, Gray and Byrne. Basically the 6ft 4 (?) guy had no success so we'll do the same thing with smaller guys. 

Wallace to his credit isn't bad at trying win things in the air etc but up against some bigger centre halves it's basically just a losing battle. Again though, a player we should be trying to utilise the technical ability of and instead seem to resort to having him isolated for most of the game and lumping balls in his general direction.

7cnqf4.jpg.fa57dcff16f3c0b1a6f76631c6a8ecd5.jpg