Newspapers

Newspapers  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I lived in London in the late 80s I used to occasionally get a copy of the Record/Sunday Mail just to keep up with the football news. Sportspages in Charing Cross Road also did most of the Scottish fanzines which probably gave a more accurate description of the game.

I worked in Egypt for a few months in 94 and started occasionally reading the Independent, though it was a day or two out of date and cost a couple of quid I felt close to its political outlook at that time.

Since I moved back to Scotland I used to only buy papers at the weekend normally The Scotsman/SOS or The Herald.

It’s now a good few years since I have bought any newspaper as I find I can get most news online now and if I am looking for any analysis of the news I prefer to listen to podcasts.

If I had to buy something to read for a flight or train journey I would probably choose Private Eye.

On 21/02/2023 at 11:24, Dennis_WYNESS said:

Only found out recently my local Asda in Stoke does the Sunday Mail always get talking points on Monday in work with the Cheque book league fans

I do wonder how much of the Mail's formidable sales figures actually consist of people who buy it for a niche purpose, instead of its completely made-up, inflammatory news stories. You buy it for sport, my dad buys it for the crossword. 

I will admit to surfing the comments section on the online version, on an almost daily basis.

14 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

I will admit to surfing the comments section on the online version, on an almost daily basis.

Their website is the only reason they can keep going spouting ridiculous levels of decisive nonsense so very well done.

On 20/02/2023 at 22:18, scotfree said:

I used to love going to the local pub for an afternoon pint and having a read of the paper. Was ace.

Agreed. 

Wife used to work next to a lovely pub, with us only having one car and me finishing an hour before I'd drive there, Park the car outside her work and go in for a pint and to read the paper. Lovely. 

The Sunday papers, all spread out and reading throughout the day is great. I dont do it often enough. I find reading a newspaper more enjoyable and relaxing than reading online news. I also find I tend to read articles I wouldnt normally read online. I guess thats because the online versions have all the clickbait shite on the first page and that tends to put off reading anything.

I like buying a local paper if im travelling somewhere, see whats happening in a town/city. London was always interesting with various local or niche newspapers like The Voice or Irish Post

Edited by ScotiaNostra

5 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

The Sunday papers, all spread out and reading throughout the day is great. I dont do it often enough. I find reading a newspaper more enjoyable and relaxing than reading online news. I also find I tend to read articles I wouldnt normally read online. I guess thats because the online versions have all the clickbait shite on the first page and that tends to put off reading anything.

I like buying a local paper if im travelling somewhere, see whats happening in a town/city. London was always interesting with various local or niche newspapers like The Voice or Irish Post

Local papers while traveling is a great pleasure. The Sunday paper was excellent, but as the subscription prices rose to insane levels, I quit. With papers that used to be $0.25 daily in the 90’s now at $1+ daily, I understand why their circulation numbers are in the toilet. The amount of content has also drastically fallen.

Used to buy the east lothian courier on a Thursday, and the record on a Saturday. Stopped buying them ages ago, and started putting the equivalent of what we'd spend in a jar for holiday funds, sitting with nearly 60 quid already. 

12 hours ago, philpy said:

Used to buy the east lothian courier on a Thursday, and the record on a Saturday. Stopped buying them ages ago, and started putting the equivalent of what we'd spend in a jar for holiday funds, sitting with nearly 60 quid already. 

Nice one. You'll get a week in Butlins in about 20 years. 

There’s a whiff of Perthshire about the OP.

As a student I had The Scotsman, The Scottish Sun, Scotland on Sunday and Razzle delivered. These days I just read the BBC online, browse the Record and Scottish Sun online for the downmarket stories and a bit of Edinburgh Love’s crime section to monitor who is stabbing/getting stabbed.

On 24/02/2023 at 11:50, VincentGuerin said:

We'd have a better country if everyone read Private Eye. If you don't read it, you should.

Basically, all the papers are shite.

I've been reading Private Eye off and on for 55 years.

11 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

The next time I buy a newspaper will be the day of the grand national so I can get a full page spread of all the horses and the colours of them. 

They're usually various shades of brown, with the occasional black or white one.