The Christian Theology Education Thread

coprolite

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Practical advice needed

This seemed like be the best thread

I've got to go to my Goddaughters confirmation and, not being RC myself, I'm not familiar with what this involves

Could anybody give me a quick bluffers guide

Sit at the back and just stay on your arse, safest way.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Practical advice needed

This seemed like be the best thread

I've got to go to my Goddaughters confirmation and, not being RC myself, I'm not familiar with what this involves

Could anybody give me a quick bluffers guide

For a christening, you have to assassinate the heads of the 5 New York crime families shortly before the ceremony.I

For a confirmation

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I think the First Communion would be the time for a token gift. Even a card would suffice

I think I’d mistakenly conflated the concepts of first communion and confirmation into one thing

As I say this isn’t my area of expertise.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

10 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think I’d mistakenly conflated the concepts of first communion and confirmation into one thing

Same stuff applies. Mostly the present stuff. Ignore the sponsors stuff. Enjoy the day!

19 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Thanks @Cosmic Joe
Should I get her a present? 

Given the preponderance of wee necklaces among some RC chums, that might be a nice, simple gift. Just saying, they have enough Saints, you’re unlikely to duplicate.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Given the preponderance of wee necklaces among some RC chums, that might be a nice, simple gift. Just saying, they have enough Saints, you’re unlikely to duplicate.

Good call.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

My wife’s an amateur Jeweller who’s always looking for a new project so that’s a good  option 

• 2 weeks later...

Catholic ceremonies are to be avoided by the uninitiated. The first time me and some pals went to a funeral it was like Wackamole with us all bobbing up and down at the wrong times, followed by barely stifled giggles that were unappreciated by the rest of the flock.

To be fair we were only in our 50s and know better now.

43 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Catholic ceremonies are to be avoided by the uninitiated. The first time me and some pals went to a funeral it was like Wackamole with us all bobbing up and down at the wrong times, followed by barely stifled giggles that were unappreciated by the rest of the flock.

We were at a funeral in a sheltered housing complex at the start of everyone being told to be really careful about personal contact just before the first COVID lockdown.  The priest seemed so confident in the purity of religious activity that during the service he encouraged everyone to shake hands and embrace those near them as a demonstration of God's love.  In a care home. Full of elderly and vulnerable people. We were borderline about attending at all, but to Hell with that nonsense.

Mrs Salt and Vinegar and I (not being of the faith) were a couple of the very few who did not comply.

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

We were at a funeral in a sheltered housing complex at the start of everyone being told to be really careful about personal contact just before the first COVID lockdown.  The priest seemed so confident in the purity of religious activity that during the service he encouraged everyone to shake hands and embrace those near them as a demonstration of God's love.  In a care home. Full of elderly and vulnerable people. We were borderline about attending at all, but to Hell with that nonsense.

Mrs Salt and Vinegar and I (not being of the faith) were a couple of the very few who did not comply.

The Dirty Beast will be thinking ahead for income generation.

57 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

IMG_8783.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I went to my mate's Dad's funeral in a chapel who was heavily involved in the Catholic church and it was absolutely brutal. Around 90 minutes of utter nonsense about imaginary friends and guys with Western names who allegedly kicked about the Middle East 2000 years ago, with a token mention of my mate's Dad at the end. We were supposed to be celebrating a man's life and all we got was that drivel. That 90 minutes felt like about 4 hours. Never again. 

7 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I went to my mate's Dad's funeral in a chapel who was heavily involved in the Catholic church and it was absolutely brutal. Around 90 minutes of utter nonsense about imaginary friends and guys with Western names who allegedly kicked about the Middle East 2000 years ago, with a token mention of my mate's Dad at the end. We were supposed to be celebrating a man's life and all we got was that drivel. That 90 minutes felt like about 4 hours. Never again. 

This, with an added dose of "it's impossible to love your family members if you don't love god" from a priest who looked like he was barely old enough to shave. I got up and walked out, and no, I couldn't give a f**k how that "looked".

The ultimate irony is the deid relative was an atheist and had never had any involvement with the Catholic church, or any other church, in her entire life, but her surviving husband was a very lapsed Catholic, like hadn't been to church in 50 years lapsed, and in his grief he was completely railroaded into a Catholic ceremony and burial by estranged relatives. I have no idea why the church even agreed to it, but there you go. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Boo Khaki

7 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

This, with an added dose of "it's impossible to love your family members if you don't love god" from a priest who looked like he was barely old enough to shave. I got up and walked out, and no, I couldn't give a f**k how that "looked".

I'm lapsed myself but I recently had a spate of funerals as my mum & quite a few aunts/uncles went in a rush but the priests we had in Paisley all seemed to like the mass shortish (30-40 mins) and then off to the wake for a few drinks & sausage rolls.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was like that at a work colleague's Catholic wedding.

Everybody kept standing up and shaking hands, I was joining in and quite enjoying myself. Afterwards it was pointed out that I had said "pleased to meet you" to the same two people at least three times and others twice.

I had no idea I was meant to say "peace be with you".

What makes it worse is that Mum was a Catholic and the church was next door to the house.

• 3 weeks later...