The Christian Theology Education Thread

coprolite

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Laughing at religion isn't bigotry.

If you state with one post that people will never know the answers to how the universe was formed then why be so dismissive about the idea of there being a god? 

Just now, throbber said:

If you state with one post that people will never know the answers to how the universe was formed then why be so dismissive about the idea of there being a god? 

Because there has never been and never will be even the smallest piece of evidence that a god exists or has ever existed. Not even a hint of the smallest idea of it. It's frankly just silly

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Because there has never been and never will be even the smallest piece of evidence that a god exists or has ever existed. Not even a hint of the smallest idea of it. It's frankly just silly

That's not true pal. There is written evidence of it. Much akin to scientifically written evidence.

23 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

If God isn’t real why didn’t I exclaim ‘science limping f**k’ when confronted with the contents of the boy’s nappy this morning? Checkmate libtards. 

You could have said ‘Jesus f**k’.

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's not true pal. There is written evidence of it. Much akin to scientifically written evidence.

Come on now. Surely you aren't being serious here?!

If I write that there's a sentient slice of anchovie pizza with three faces and a horse's cock that lives on Jupiter that created life, does that make it true?

Are we to move the Three Body Problem books from the non fiction section of shops and libraries? Because they, and all other works of fiction, are as 'real' as things like the Bible and other 'holy' books (albeit much, much, much better written and with far less plagiarism).

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Come on now. Surely you aren't being serious here?!

If I write that there's a sentient slice of anchovie pizza with three faces and a horse's cock that lives on Jupiter that created life, does that make it true?

Clip art says yes, although cock not pictured to be verified. I think it’s pretty cold on Jupiter, it could be hiding

IMG_4481.png

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

Clip art says yes, although cock not pictured to be verified. I think it’s pretty cold on Jupiter, it could be hiding

IMG_4481.png

I see no anchovies there. Blasphemy!

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I see no anchovies there. Blasphemy!

The bit between the two eyes looks suspiciously like stuffed pizza where the sauce goes above the toppings. Could be anchovy, could be sausage, could be spinach. You need to have faith brother. 

Just now, carpetmonster said:

The bit between the two eyes looks suspiciously like stuffed pizza where the sauce goes above the toppings. Could be anchovy, could be sausage, could be spinach. You need to have faith brother. 

I feel a holy war coming on.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What about preachers/ministers/priests etc? They tell folk what to think and most of their audience believe it instantly.

This is completely untrue.

As someone who grew up with this stuff, that is absolutely not the case. Some will, but in pretty much any church after the service you'll have people discussing what they agreed with/disagreed with about what was said, and in general what they agree and disagree about in terms of theology. These disagreements can go on for weeks, months, years. But people just live with others having a different opinion. Some people will collar the minister if they're not sure about or just openly disagree with something he's said.

Churches often have study groups etc where people get together and read/discuss issues. Disagreement is rife and nobody gets too worried about it.

You'll find a range of opinions on any social issue you wish to name. In the UK I've never met a Christian who felt Christianity should have a real say in the law when it comes to things like abortion etc. I'm sure people like that exist, but they're not the norm.

What you've posted here shows a real misunderstanding of how these communities work.

Edited by VincentGuerin

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why is it that almost every civilisation or tribe has a God, Gods or some other supreme being or spirits? Completely unconnected with each other over thousands of years.

Ancestors all over the world over thousands of years having the same concept of higher beings without knowing that others around the world understand the very same concept.

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

The poundshop Dawkins act is always pretty funny tbh.

3 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

More tragic than funny tbh

The new atheists are the luckiest groups of no mark intellectuals in history. All just pumping out vacuous shite at the same time there was a massive cultural market for material that reinforced what was already pretty much locked in as the western culturally hegemonic position 

8 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Why is it that almost every civilisation or tribe has a God, Gods or some other supreme being or spirits? Completely unconnected with each other over thousands of years.

Ancestors all over the world over thousands of years having the same concept of higher beings without knowing that others around the world understand the very same concept.

Because they all sprang up when humans hadn't worked out most things, so they attributed it to gods. 

Why have most of these religions died out?

6 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

When primitive tribes and people saw something they didn't understand and couldn't explain, they came up with the idea of a God to explain why things happened as they did, as that was the only answer they could come up with.

32 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Any evidence would be from writings outside any Christian texts, such as Jewish or Roman historians referring to Jesus and or his followers, that would be reasonable evidence for the existence of Jesus.

On 02/09/2024 at 20:10, jimbaxters said:

I reached Exodus 10 before accepting Christ as my saviour. That's why I'm saying you should read it but with an open mind. 

You were doing so well with the "I'm religious and want to explain things" stuff too. 

Why would you read Exodus, a book that is in the Old Testament, a part of the Jewish Torah, and suddenly decide that Christianity was the answer? Surely if Exodus made your mind up, you should be Jewish. The story of the Exodus is of course also in the Qu'ran, so you might fancy converting to Islam?

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

You were doing so well with the "I'm religious and want to explain things" stuff too. 

Why would you read Exodus, a book that is in the Old Testament, a part of the Jewish Torah, and suddenly decide that Christianity was the answer? Surely if Exodus made your mind up, you should be Jewish. The story of the Exodus is of course also in the Qu'ran, so you might fancy converting to Islam?

I didn't mean the literal story gave me faith.

I'm not going to go into details to invoke more sniggers but the text I read resonated with my personal situation at that time. I already had basic understanding of Christianity but embarked on a course of study with an elder Christian friend. This is how many come to faith, i.e. hearing God's word speak to them. 

Edited by jimbaxters