Where will the SPFL be in 2042-43 Season?

There is a way of helping football leagues across Europe become more competitive but the elite clubs are more like businesses now desperate to hoover up as much cash as possible so the gap between the haves and have nots will likely be bigger than ever in 20 years.

You could have two Separate half seasons, one with the OF involved lasting about 18 games and the other without, where they fuckoff to play in a Euro league. Whatever their prize money is from Europe they kick back 50% to their domestic league to be  divided equally. If that was the setup, the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would have an outside chance at a Scottish league title once every ten years or so and then we'd all have fun battling for the second half of the season title.

Don't ask me the finer details of this daft idea because I've not worked it out. 

On 14/03/2023 at 08:28, RandomGuy. said:

World Super League will be in action with games played around the planet all day every day.

Lower tiers will be in action for just Europe with Celtic/Rangers in somewhere.

Scottish football will have no money as the super leagues will be a closed shop so no European money coming in. TV companies enforce blackouts when super league games are on so no Scottish games on TV.

League a lot closer and multiple winners of competitions, but overall feeling of watching the final death gasps of domestic football in Scotland.

I'll take it.

Those saying that nothing much will have changed are probably right though.

• 5 weeks later...
On 14/03/2023 at 02:29, Kapowzer said:

What will domestic football look like in this country in 20 years time? It's something that got me thinking tonight from things said in the "How do you Solve a Problem like the Scottish Premiership?" thread.

I think it will be dominated by two things, firstly advances in technology and the second is the clamour for a share of the wealth fuelled by UEFA.

In 20 years or before I think we'll be in a place where hologram technology will have advanced to a place where you can turn up at your own ground and watch a real time representation of your away match. Not every club could afford the set up (in today's prices, is it feasible for 30,000 OF fans to show up paying £10 for 19 games? potential revenue £5.7m justify the outlay? You think so).

Either that, or androids fed motion capture data taken from players strips so there is a physical presence. Of course it won't be for everyone, but if there's 5,000 seats maximum at any away ground or you can't get a season ticket as your club is oversubscribed, would you buy an "away beamback" one instead? You get 38 days out opposed to 19 a degree of atmosphere, songs and chants that would missing if you watched via pay TV. 

Every stadium will have mandated solar panels installed on the stand roofs and will essentially be mini power stations which satisfy themselves and excess clean power generated is used to offset the carbon cost of fulfilling their business and the impact of their fans travelling. I think that is somewhere that we are going.

With the latter and the changes to the Champions League from next season I think in 20 years time it will be inevitable that the "global brand" clubs will have moved away from their own domestic leagues and compete weekly in a pan European UEFA league. Like it or not two clubs from here will be involved as I suspect they will satisfy a lot of the criteria (stadiums over 50k that can be filled), global brand and fanbase, desirability for marketing/advertising.

Consequently, the excitement and their glory hunting element will grow and suck more fans away from their geographic teams.

UEFA will be under pressure to mitigate transport emissions from travelling fans as our planet slowly dies, I suspect that will be a major thing as they move to increasing distances and frequency of games between the teams, so developing technology to allow beambacks in some guise would be paramount for them. Combined with the cost of attending what would be 15+ city breaks a year would be massive.

With the departure of the OF from domestic football other than maybe the Scottish Cup? Will some OF fans start going along to Partick or their local teams just for nostalgia, will they be annoyed at their clubs turning their back on the Scottish league?

Hearts have the potential at present (with the pariah behaviour of Russia) to cement £6m a year from guaranteed entry to even the lowest UEFA competition and pull away to put them in a very good starting point to ensure early dominance when the OF depart.

If Si Ferry ends up as the anchor on Sportscene on £6m a year tweeting about refugee's then that's a planet I don't want to be a part of.

They’d quickly have to reconsider the installation of solar panels when the quality of shooting and long ball passing in the Scottish game means the panels are smashed to f**k every week. Even if they are installed on the stand roofs…