Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

The play-off draw has just been made. Finland were drawn out to go to path A. The play-offs are now:

Path A:
Poland v Estonia
Wales v Finland (winner at home in the final)

Path B:
Israel v Iceland
Bosnia and Herzegovina v Ukraine  (winner at home in the final)

Path C
Georgia v Luxembourg  (winner at home in the final)
Greece v Kazakhstan

The Wales stuff in this neck of the woods is quite strange. Obviously I don't like them as they're one of our closest rivals, but all the "jammy b*****ds" chat is similar to the stuff last year when folk were trying to convince themselves that the Republic of Ireland were some dirty, hammer-throwing mob when in reality they were on an even keel with us across the two games. It's like people are trying to convince themselves of reasons to dislike a team rather than just simply disliking them. 

I suppose Wales got lucky in that they had one of the best British players in a generation (that's no luckier than Norway or Slovenia who have been horseshit despite having their own world class player), but they've also done a lot of work over the years to build squads that perform beyond what you might think they're capable of on paper. There's not been much variance from Coleman to Giggs to Page, so unless there have been eight years of luck as opposed to that just being nature of international football, my take is that you're all just talking shite. 

Just now, accies1874 said:

The Wales stuff in this neck of the woods is quite strange. Obviously I don't like them as they're one of our closest rivals, but all the "jammy b*****ds" chat is similar to the stuff last year when folk were trying to convince themselves that the Republic of Ireland were some dirty, hammer-throwing mob when in reality they were on an even keel with us across the two games. It's like people are trying to convince themselves of reasons to dislike a team rather than just simply disliking them. 

I suppose Wales got lucky in that they had one of the best British players in a generation (that's no luckier than Norway or Slovenia who have been horseshit despite having their own world class player), but they've also done a lot of work over the years to build squads that perform beyond what you might think they're capable of on paper. There's not been much variance from Coleman to Giggs to Page, so unless there have been eight years of luck as opposed to that just being nature of international football, my take is that you're all just talking shite. 

Hiya Gareth, hiya Pal

Perhaps mistaking Slovenia for Slovakia (or autocorrect) and Hamsik.

I'm in agreement with the Wales and Ireland stuff tbh. I've always felt that it was an entirely understandable jealous projection given how successful they both were relative to us.

It does seem a bit tinpot, but I don't see playing Poland as lucky. Wales looked very decent against Turkey and would have won but for a terrible penalty decision against them.

Anyway, 'mon the home diddy nations.

I think it’s more that Wales reached the semi finals of a Euros, and qualified for multiple other tournaments and I think I’ve seen them play well about once in all that time.

I honestly hope all the other ‘home nations’ lose every game they ever play, unless it’s against England. If Islamic State get a team together and play Wales, I’m cheering for the boys from the Levant.

Edit: with Ireland, it’s largely because they have been utter hammerthrowers for fucking ages, and because of the aftermath of Thierry Henry’s totally legitimate assist against them. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow