Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

12 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Wales are the fucking media darlings just now.

I listen to 6 music and can barely turn it on these days without some leek munching sheep shagger presenting a show and introducing some obscure shite band "from my home town"  singing in a language 99% of the audience don't understand.

Good to see them getting rammed tonight.

Fuds.

This. The Welsh fans seem to be suffering from a terrible case of mass humblebragging - the media coverage from people like Elis James (who I don't mind on 5L with John Robins when he's not talking about the Welsh football team) is hugely self-congratulatory and seems to be under the delusion that non-Welsh people find them fascinating and likable. 

"Look at us with our bucket hats, we're just a small country but boyo we've been through a lot, did we ever mention that Joe Jordan once handballed it and got a crucial pen otherwise we'd definitely been at the world cup finals - er, despite failing to score in that match and still having another to play, which we lost? We've never got over that - but we've been happy to cheer on Bale being a massive diving cheat for ten years.  The Euros will miss us this summer even though we completely stank out the World Cup with a team of Championship jabronis."

A Wales-free Euros is a very pleasant scenario.  Hopefully they don't qualify for another major finals for 50 years.

Edited by VictorOnopko

There’s a lot of “they didn’t have a shot on target in the whole game” whingeing from Welsh fans on social media, which is delightful. 

They had 5 belters in the shootout though, didn’t they, boyos?

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

There’s a lot of “they didn’t have a shot on target in the whole game” whingeing from Welsh fans on social media, which is delightful. 

Welsh football fans vs Irish rugby fans.  Who do you crush to death first?

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

They could’ve avoided all of this if they’d simply managed to beat a honking Armenia team - that’s what I would’ve done. 

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

They could’ve avoided all of this if they’d simply managed to beat a honking Armenia team - that’s what I would’ve done. 

Thanks for that. There seemed to be a bit of recent chat about the Millennium Stadium being a fortress for Wales, so I figured I must have imagined them being ridden raw at home by Armenia, who can barely manage to keep eleven men on the field if anyone so much as looks at them askance.

Not exactly delighted about Poland making it, considering they've been the definition of a total jobber side for decades, even with one of Europe's best goalscorers.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

(They play at the Cardiff City Stadium now, btw)

Another reason why they don't deserve to qualify. Any country that has a bigger stadium for rugby than football has clearly got its priorities wrong. 

Mind you that might mean Scotland too, I suppose... 😬

Hampden really should go back to 150,000 capacity like the old days. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

(They play at the Cardiff City Stadium now, btw)

What happened to Ninian Park?

Never mind, I can guess, and I've just realised that I don't care.

Both Irelands and Wales failing to qualify for a tournament while Scotland do just seems right doesn't it?  The natural order of things you might say.