Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

Watching the Portugal v Liechtenstein game and its turgid. Portugal are so slow at the build up they're making Liechtenstein look good. 

From what I've seen this season Celtic would be 4 or 5 up on Liechtenstein just on the speed of play. How can Martinez watch his team and think that's OK? 

Berardi should've years ago now been placed in the Andrea Belotti category, that of a very good Serie A player but not Italy quality. Better to leave the right winger position open for constant auditions from younger players rather than have Berardi holding it down.

1 minute ago, Crawford Bridge said:

That's not the insult you think it is. 

Pace & power > A million pointless passes. 

It’s not meant to be an insult. My point is technically they ain’t great, they have a poor coach but get results as they are fast and strong.

That alone coupled with the amount of ‘favourable’ refereeing decisions they traditionally get means I fully expect them to win a major tournament in my lifetime.

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Anyone noticed that Adidas' own brand logo on top of the dugouts is spelt incorrectly?

Big bold letters. 'IMPOSSIBILE IS NOTHING' 

That's a pretty major f**k up. That would be like Nike having 'Jusut Do It' on their official branding.

Impossibile is the Italian spelling. Probably should be "Impossibile è niente" or something, but I guess Adidas wanted some kind of internationalish slogan?

9 minutes ago, Renfrewblue said:

Watching the Portugal v Liechtenstein game and its turgid. Portugal are so slow at the build up they're making Liechtenstein look good. 

From what I've seen this season Celtic would be 4 or 5 up on Liechtenstein just on the speed of play. How can Martinez watch his team and think that's OK? 

70 seconds of the 2nd half at a faster pace and its 2-0. 

I'm off to play Fifa, I'm a stick on for the title with that insight. 😉

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s not meant to be an insult. My point is technically they ain’t great, they have a poor coach but get results as they are fast and strong.

That alone coupled with the amount of ‘favourable’ refereeing decisions they traditionally get means I fully expect them to win a major tournament in my lifetime.

Fair enough. 

I'm just of the opinion that the modern obsession with technical players is a bit shite. 

I like that there are still managers who recognise that there's more than one way to skin a cat. 

1 minute ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Fair enough. 

I'm just of the opinion that the modern obsession with technical players is a bit shite. 

Spain and Pep's Barca are the reason for that.

5 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

That's not the insult you think it is. 

Pace & power > A million pointless passes. 

Italy and Argentina won the last Euros and world cup with possession sides. France were world cup winners then beaten finalists in the last two editions with a direct style. So neither attacking strategy is decisively on top at the moment. Both proving their merits.