Jambos v Buddies 8th April

14 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Joe has hardly played this season yet has 3 assists. His long throws are the best in the team and he gets to more corners than any other defenders. Dunne has 0 goals and 0 assists in 32 games. Marcus has 0 goals and 0 assists. Gallagher 0 assists and 2 goals. Joe was leading goalscorer for a good chunk of last season. Easily the most potent of our defenders. But you already knew that. Fair play to Gallagher's 2 goals.

You said that he's the only defender who carries a threat. Clearly he is not.

Gallagher is a better defender than Captain Joe. Not by much, but he is. Unfortunately he's picked up a couple of injuries. I thought that his replacement should have been Captain Joe and not Gogic, as I much prefer the latter in midfield. However, the manager, who seems to be doing rather well, thought not.

FWIW I'd rather have Captain Joe playing than Fraser and I'd like a contract extension to be offered. However, again, the manager seems to have a different outlook. I suspect finances have a role to play in his decision not to offer a new contract, so far. Maybe the next few game will change his mind.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I would have sacked Goodwin after the home game with Celtic but can also appreciate that at that point we were third and in a cup semi, and losing 1-0 to a late goal to this Celtic team would look totally unreasonable. 

I think the Celtic game was when his card was marked. And, in a sense, that was unfair as I don't think it was the worst thing he'd done. A stupid tactical experiment, but I think too much focus was given to his negativity in that game rather than to the fact that he was wildly inconsistent and had no plan for what to do. He was just hugely out his depth.

That said, had Aberdeen won at Darvel and lost 2-1 at Easter Road, he'd maybe still be in a job.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of how things look when it comes to sackings, but I think this is a very peculiarly British way of looking at it. If you're watching a team and can easily identify weaknesses that are not improving, then I think it's reasonable to punt the coach before they start to affect results.

Imagine if Aberdeen had done the smart thing and replaced Goodwin at the World Cup break? They'd be absolutely cruising.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think the Celtic game was when his card was marked. And, in a sense, that was unfair as I don't think it was the worst thing he'd done. A stupid tactical experiment, but I think too much focus was given to his negativity in that game rather than to the fact that he was wildly inconsistent and had no plan for what to do. He was just hugely out his depth.

That said, had Aberdeen won at Darvel and lost 2-1 at Easter Road, he'd maybe still be in a job.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of how things look when it comes to sackings, but I think this is a very peculiarly British way of looking at it. If you're watching a team and can easily identify weaknesses that are not improving, then I think it's reasonable to punt the coach before they start to affect results.

Imagine if Aberdeen had done the smart thing and replaced Goodwin at the World Cup break? They'd be absolutely cruising.

His card was marked after that (by me anyway) because he basically admitted he was tactically clueless in the post match. Up to that point I’d suspected it but that day he just came out and said it. 

He thought camping in on our own box was the best approach, partly because he’d gone to ibrox with an opposite, yet equally stupid, approach and been pumped rotten. 

I agree with you but there’s a balance to be struck. If the first team squad are clearly underperforming then the manager should go. But it’s a difficult position when results suggest otherwise. 

Really enjoyed that yesterday, especially as I don't get to many away games these days, so nothing better than a big day out and a win! As usual when going through to either of the Edinburgh clubs, it was good fun in the pubs around Haymarket. The hearts fans we spoke to were all really sound but I was surprised at the time by how despondent they were and how much they really didn't fancy it. At the time I thought it was just a bit of underdogging, but obviously not.

The game was good, St Mirren did what we do against these kind of teams, we let them have the ball, soak up the pressure, bully them in midfeild and up front and hit them on the break. No surprises that we look massively back on it now that we have about as close to a full strength squad as you are going to get at this stage of the season.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Wouldn’t have been a great look for hearts to sack neilson until very recently tbh. In some ways we were fortunate that Goodwin made the decision very easy in the end. There isn’t a prospective manager out there who would have thought cormack was out of order taking that decision, they were probably amazed jim lasted more than 24 hours after darvel. 

He should have gone after the 6-0 game clearly something was wrong and the players had chucked it for him. I think it is fair to say that he left you in a better place then when he arrived. But absolutely his time had come

14 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s a picture I have mixed feelings around because it would have been a non-OF team winning the league, but on the other hand there is a sizeable amount of Hearts fans that blame St Mirren for their failure even though they got cuffed by Dundee on the same day which allowed Celtic to win the league, it was completely in their hands. 

They also got cuffed 7-1 by Dundee at Tynecastle in 1965, thus allowing Kilmarnock to snatch the title on goal average on the last day of the season  by winning 2-0.

And they were 5-1 up on the Dons at halftime in the same season and ended up winning 6-3.

If they had conceded 2 less goals in both games, Kilmarnock would have had to win 9-0 by my calculations, an unlikely scenario.

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Celtic and The Rangers 2012 will always have the most strength in depth, followed by Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts looking the next best - on paper. If that doesn’t look the case at the start of every top flight season, then fans of Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts should be asking questions of their BoDs and ‘directors of football’. That’s all on paper though. Not one of those three clubs have turned their bigger squads, bigger budgets, bigger stadiums, and bigger crowds into anything consistent over the entire season that sees them look easily ‘the best of the rest’. I’d go so far as to say that at various times, all three of the next biggest clubs in Scotland have been shite, overseen by shite managerial appointments.

Some shiter than others...

1 hour ago, Insaintee said:

He should have gone after the 6-0 game clearly something was wrong and the players had chucked it for him. I think it is fair to say that he left you in a better place then when he arrived. But absolutely his time had come

Aberdeen finishing 10th last season didn't give him any grace plus losing Ferguson and Ramsay puts him on the back foot, He gets to the world cup break only losing one game at home in the league scoring 4 and 5 goals against Livvy,Killie,Hibs and you guys, the results after the world cup are very poor but for me the improvement on last season was very clear plus bring in decent replacements going forward but trigger happy McCormack had seen enough.
For me Jim was hard done by,picking up the mess left from Glass,sold his best players,started to build a decent squad plus results were always going to be indifferent he should've been judged at the end of the season IMO.

17 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Aberdeen finishing 10th last season didn't give him any grace plus losing Ferguson and Ramsay puts him on the back foot, He gets to the world cup break only losing one game at home in the league scoring 4 and 5 goals against Livvy,Killie,Hibs and you guys, the results after the world cup are very poor but for me the improvement on last season was very clear plus bring in decent replacements going forward but trigger happy McCormack had seen enough.
For me Jim was hard done by,picking up the mess left from Glass,sold his best players,started to build a decent squad plus results were always going to be indifferent he should've been judged at the end of the season IMO.

Nah. Goodwin was never going to recover from the Darvel game. Yes a bit of rug pulling was going on but he'd lost the players.  

21 minutes ago, Molotov said:

IMG_1273.thumb.jpeg.35be3527864da8ab4d1f28c6b239d485.jpeg

nice badge!

“no surrender”

Well your team did yesterday 😂 

Even loses have their silver lining if c***s like this are miserable.