Motherwell v Livi - 08/04/23

2 hours ago, ropy said:

It seems to be working, did you get a pint?

Can't remember, if i did i must've got the pints mixed up. 

Seriously wish i had taken a roofie, and had no recollection of that game. Felt like deja vu from last week, absolutely dreadful from us. Had to agree with the Motherwell fans singing it was so fucking easy.

He's got some power in his shots, both goals were crackers, but Shamal really shouldn't be conceding at his near post, poor from him for the 2nd.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Can't remember, if i did i must've got the pints mixed up. 

Seriously wish i had taken a roofie, and had no recollection of that game. Felt like deja vu from last week, absolutely dreadful from us. Had to agree with the Motherwell fans singing it was so fucking easy.

He's got some power in his shots, both goals were crackers, but Shamal really shouldn't be conceding at his near post, poor from him for the 2nd.

The first one fairly slammed into the back of the net.

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

So basically we need to pin our hopes on Dundee United stuffing Hibs tomorrow then?

It would be a blessing if Hibs just won that game and saved us any further pain, giving us any glimmer of top 6 hope, we're absolute dug meat just now and really aren't deserving of top 6. Motherwell will finish 7th, as there is no way we'll manage to stay above them, not unless both Martindale and the players get their shit together. 

Tend to agree with @thisGRAEME - having players knowing where they actually need to stand has made things look simple and every week just looks harsher on Hammell TBH.

Livi weren't at the races obviously but the way the team were keeping the ball, recycling it when they needed to and trying to make positive passes all the time was great to watch.

Along with Casey - if we're not at least trying to line Furlong up for next season, we're missing a trick - from the first couple of shakey games, he's now looking excellent at our level. 

Two funniest things for me were The 3rd goal being announced on the tannoy before the ref gave it (try that one against the OF please) and the sight of KVV in MASSIVE CONFIDENCE mode trying no look passes and trying to nutmeg anyone with a pulse in the 2nd half - if his agent can't get him a retirement fund move on the back of this season, he should chuck it.

Any combination of results over the next 7 days that allows Parkhead to be a meaningful game for us and I might even go for the first time in 20 years.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

Along with Casey - if we're not at least trying to line Furlong up for next season, we're missing a trick - from the first couple of shakey games, he's now looking excellent at our level. 

That was going to be my take as well. When Penney left it was looking pretty rough for us in that area (among many). Furlong came in to a shitshow, looked understandably a bit nervous with it being his first senior games but has really grown into his role. I think our system has served him well to give him a bit of support while he grows into senior games and he’s done that. Absolutely fair play to him. Penney was a tidier, more accomplished player with the ball, but defensively, I’m taking Furlong who I thinks proven himself to be a very decent defender.

Agreed with Kettlewell’s assessment of the game. Would never scoff at 3 goals and a clean sheet but think we could have played with a bit more attacking intent in that second half. KVV was superb as was Spittal. As usual, delighted with Casey, Butcher and McGinn at the back who strolled it. Think Obika is a better player than Mandron so would be good to get him back but Mandron had an injury himself so maybe still has a bit of fitness to get back.

I’ve grown to really appreciate Furlong but maybe it shows that it’s possible to pick up a young guy from a bigger Academy and the game time and experience given to both Penney and Furlong will serve us well when looking for similar next season.

I won’t be upset at not retaining Furlong if we can replace him, of course Carroll and McGinley(?) may be raring to go next season..

Aye was saying much the same about Furlong last week. 

Was brilliant at Easter Road and again today. If he’s out of contact and Brighton aren’t bothered about keeping him, I’d definitely be trying to take a punt on him. Still only 20 as well, potentially a lot more to come. 

Him and Johnston were excellent down each flank. An assist for Furlong as well a goal and an assist for Johnston. Having two good quality wing backs providing width and energy makes a huge difference. 

Kettlewell just seems to have got the whole balance right. We look solid at the back but still a real threat going forward. Good blend of youth and experience. Players happy and comfortable playing in roles that suit them. Mental to think we looked stick ons for relegation only 7 games ago. 

Also fair fucks to Van Veen as well, 7 goals in 4 games is outrageous stuff. As is 22 goals in a team that’s been toiling for most of this season. You really couldn’t begrudge him a decent move in the coming months if it comes about. 

The most startling thing is the bbc stats showing fouls, Motherwell 16-6 Livi, either we're shit hot at tackling only to get 6 fouls against us, or we've turned into a bunch of powderpuff c***s with no passion, unrecognizable from what a Livi team has been these past 7 seasons, where has the press and grit gone. Looks like the players have just given up, and are going through the motions now safety has been reached.

Martindale isn't helping with his team selection and formation, we've no focus in attack, with Anderson sitting on the bench, but still, shocking lack of commitment from our players, even with the midfield being largely ignored with balls lumped up to Nouble and Guthrie, you'd expect us to be getting stuck in a lot more than this.

Motherwell were also so quick and direct, to our slowwwwwww build up play and lack of cutting edge. 

19 minutes ago, Venti said:

What's worse? Playing for Motherwell or pumping Colee........ Oh

If KVV goes along to Skoosh he's got his choice of the Motherwell Coleens

First half was excellent and we played some of our best possession football of the season.  Van Veen was on it today. Looked terrific, maybe trying to revive his move to china.

Johnston again excellent going forward. Could have done better with his first chance but was on the spot for the third.

2nd half was a bit of a non-event. But even at that I didn't like the Paton for Mandron sub. Changed the shape completely and left KVV far too isolated. Not a coincidence Livi started to get into the game after that point. Even when Aitchison came on he wasn't playing right up top.

Livi were dogshit. And I enjoyed martindale taking half of halftime to decide his back 5 wasn't working and change it to a 4. Could probably have worked that out after 20 minutes.

7 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

In the nicest possible way, I hope you have a horrible day at the football 😉

Sorry you didn't get that wish mate. You're more than welcome to try again next season 😉

Edited by AdamMFC

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I’ve grown to really appreciate Furlong but maybe it shows that it’s possible to pick up a young guy from a bigger Academy and the game time and experience given to both Penney and Furlong will serve us well when looking for similar next season.

I won’t be upset at not retaining Furlong if we can replace him, of course Carroll and McGinley(?) may be raring to go next season..

Furlong reminds me of a left footed Jim Griffin - dogged determined and underrated 

50 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The most startling thing is the bbc stats showing fouls, Motherwell 16-6 Livi, either we're shit hot at tackling only to get 6 fouls against us, or we've turned into a bunch of powderpuff c***s with no passion, unrecognizable from what a Livi team has been these past 7 seasons, where has the press and grit gone. Looks like the players have just given up, and are going through the motions now safety has been reached.

Even earlier in the season at your place I noticed that Livi were a lot less in-yer-face than I'm used to - today despite having a big team out there, the physical stuff wasn't really there.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Martindale isn't helping with his team selection and formation, we've no focus in attack, with Anderson sitting on the bench, but still, shocking lack of commitment from our players, even with the midfield being largely ignored with balls lumped up to Nouble and Guthrie, you'd expect us to be getting stuck in a lot more than this.

Motherwell were also so quick and direct, to our slowwwwwww build up play and lack of cutting edge. 

The BBC stats also had Goss as best Motherwell player in their ratings.  Is he always just top no matter the game? Strangely almost all the Livingston players scored higher than nearly the whole Motherwell team. I wasn't there today- is any of this at all accurate?

32 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The BBC stats also had Goss as best Motherwell player in their ratings.  Is he always just top no matter the game? Strangely almost all the Livingston players scored higher than nearly the whole Motherwell team. I wasn't there today- is any of this at all accurate?

The player ratings are usually wild, i've seen subs come on for about 2 mins getting top man of the game ratings. Van Veen has 2.74, useless haddie only scored 2 goals right enough. 😂

36 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

No - there's about 3 people voting on that pish in our games so it's hilariously distorted - it's really aimed at the sort of gonkers who "support" EPL teams without ever actually going to games and so I'm sure the games down there get more engagement. Steven Kelly was apparently MOTM today with 9 out of 10 - that maybe tells you all you need to know.