🔴🟡 Thistle vs Ayr United ⚫️⚪️ - 15 April 2023

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

Probably knows he's got no chance of catching Maguire, who did very well, driving forward and setting up JML. 

I wonder where Daz ends up next season? 

Maybe he's not going to catch Maguire directly, but he should have been at least busting a gut to get back into some kind of potentially useful defensive position, rather than leisurely strolling back.

I'd assume he'll have to drop down to League One, as that's certainly the level that best suits his ability.

5 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Never paid much attention at the time but quite a tidy finish by Akinyemi to adjust his body 

Akinyemi is just a ridiculously good striker. Always able to sniff out a poacher’s tap-in at the back post, but equally capable of creating a goal himself out of nothing. His all-round work rate was frightening yesterday. Chasing lost causes out on the wing and dropping deep when he wasn’t getting any support.

5 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Akinyemi is just a ridiculously good striker. Always able to sniff out a poacher’s tap-in at the back post, but equally capable of creating a goal himself out of nothing. His all-round work rate was frightening yesterday. Chasing lost causes out on the wing and dropping deep when he wasn’t getting any support.

The biggest cheer of the afternoon from our end was when we made an arse of a corner and Akinyemi was the one chasing Tiffoney (I think?) back into the other half and managed to force the ball out for a throw in. 

Much like with Shankland, I hope he goes on to have a fantastic career. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The biggest cheer of the afternoon from our end was when we made an arse of a corner and Akinyemi was the one chasing Tiffoney (I think?) back into the other half and managed to force the ball out for a throw in. 

Much like with Shankland, I hope he goes on to have a fantastic career. 

I remember the incident you mean, and I'm sure it was Turner he chased down. A far easier player to catch in that scenario, but still very impressive from Akinyemi regardless.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I remember the incident you mean, and I'm sure it was Turner he chased down. A far easier player to catch in that scenario, but still very impressive from Akinyemi regardless.

It was also a reflection on the rest of our team in that first half where they looked so slow and lethargic and couldn’t get near Partick. Dipo was the only one who for the whole ninety minutes chased down every ball and defender. Sometimes he tries to do too much on the ball but he’s carrying our attack now that Mullin is injured. 

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I do hope that Ayr put another tweet out thanking Darren Brownlie for his second goal contribution to Ayrs campaign this season. A terrific player for us this year. 

Done more in this spell than his first. 🤣

Just watched Dipos goal, very well worked play, Ayr forced an error and capitalised...need to do more of that in general imho

I do hope Dipo has a better agent than Adeloye did, like @D'Jaffo I hope he goes on to have a stellar career

2 hours ago, mugen_power said:

Just watched Dipos goal, very well worked play, Ayr forced an error and capitalised...need to do more of that in general imho

I do hope Dipo has a better agent than Adeloye did, like @D'Jaffo I hope he goes on to have a stellar career

To be fair, Adeloye’s agent got him a big money move - it isn’t his fault that Adeloye hasn’t remotely stepped up. 

I’m confident Dipo will do well wherever he goes. 

There is a real debate to be had in terms of Akinyemi v Shankland now…

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

To be fair, Adeloye’s agent got him a big money move - it isn’t his fault that Adeloye hasn’t remotely stepped up. 

I’m confident Dipo will do well wherever he goes. 

There is a real debate to be had in terms of Akinyemi v Shankland now…

I think Dipo is the more natural goalscorer. The vast majority of goals he scored have been about getting himself into the position to finish. Shankland is a better all round player for me. They would be absolutely lethal playing together though. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Dipo is the more natural goalscorer. The vast majority of goals he scored have been about getting himself into the position to finish. Shankland is a better all round player for me. They would be absolutely lethal playing together though. 

I can’t decide…

I think Shankland is the better finisher, he was ridiculously clinical with us but I can see what you are meaning too. 

I think all round wise that Dipo has everything Shankland has, and a little more though - mainly his ability to drift wide, go past people and create things for himself. 

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I can’t decide…

I think Shankland is the better finisher, he was ridiculously clinical with us but I can see what you are meaning too. 

I think all round wise that Dipo has everything Shankland has, and a little more though - mainly his ability to drift wide, go past people and create things for himself. 

I think if you swapped them about I.e put Dipo in the 18-19 team and Shankland in this team then Dipo would do better. 

Can’t believe we went so long without a top class striker since the days of Annand and Grady and then we get two in the space of a few years. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

36 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They would be absolutely lethal playing together though. 

Hearts could do a lot worse in the Summer than signing him to pair up with Shankland.

Like they passed up on Shankland when he left us on a free for Dundee Utd, I think they'll overlook Dipo.

I actually think Dipo is more of a threat in a front two as well.

Shankland edges it versus Dipo for me.

They both have pluses and minor minuses. I'd say Shankland is the better finisher and the more complete forward. Shankland does a bit of everything really well. Dipo is better out wide and holding the ball up.

They are both capable of creating something out of nothing. They would be a formidable pairing (on paper).

That goal that Shankland scored at Firhill when Cammy Bell was off his line will stay with me forever. One of the best goals I've ever seen live. Phenomenal.

Edited by Trogdor

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think if you swapped them about I.e put Dipo in the 18-19 team and Shankland in this team then Dipo would do better. 

Can’t believe we went so long without a top class striker since the days of Annand and Grady and then we get two in the space of a few years. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Shankland edges it versus Dipo for me.

They both have pluses and minor minuses. I'd say Shankland is the better finisher and the more complete forward. Shankland does a bit of everything really well. Dipo is better out wide and holding the ball up.

They are both capable of creating something out of nothing. They would be a formidable pairing (on paper).

That goal that Shankland scored at Firhill when Cammy Bell was off his line will stay with me forever. One of the best goals I've ever seen live. Phenomenal.

It really is just a nice debate to have - obviously need to bear in mind that Shankland was a lot younger too.  It’ll be interesting how Dipo does going forward. 

Imagine Dipo with prime Moff in behind him, and Forrest out wide!