🕸🕷Spiders vs Accies

We were poor. Accies were worse. Three points all that matters. Finish top four and it’s been an excellent season.

Looked incredibly fragile for a good chunk of the game. Safe passes, aimless speculative balls and not winning many second balls. Credit to the players for digging out the win, but the performance level has to be better than that or we’re getting whipped at Somerset Park. 

23 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Why do you think its going to be equally as hellish for Greenock Morton ..Ludo...whatever the result tomorrow?

I don't and I never said it would be. I specifically said Dundee, QP and Partick Thistle.

Didn't even mention your team.

46 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Apparently Falkirk fans waiting outside at full-time then ran away as soon as Accies fans got let out. A strange ending to a depressing match. 

Absolutely embarrassing from them if that's the case. To be expected from anyone or anything associated with Falkirk, whether that be the town, football club, wheel or anything else. 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't and I never said it would be. I specifically said Dundee, QP and Partick Thistle.

Didn't even mention your team.

So.....given the teams you mentioned....we're talking about operational expenditure?

Take the 3 points and run. For 70 minutes, that was as bad as it’s been the previous 3 matches and I genuinely had no idea where a goal was coming from. Great finish from Savoury but my goodness, another abject performance from him. I feel bad for constantly picking him out but it’s because we know how talented he can be and unfortunately he was dreadful for the most part. If it weren’t for his goal, he was about to get hooked for Healy. 

However, one thing that Coyle hasn’t done right in recent weeks is use the correct personnel for the system he seems to persist on. Maybe just maybe for the last 15 minutes, we’ve finally found the right combination in the set up that seemed to give us that spark again going forward. I’ve continually wondered  why Williamson hasn’t been given more opportunities in recent months and tonight made me wonder even more now. It’s not even sheer quality he gave us tonight; it was his energy, willingness to close defenders down and play on the last defender. Shields too often was dragged out wide, whereas Williamson continually pins the defender centrally which allows the likes of shields(who looked miles better out wide) to get in behind more often. For me, Williamson and Davidson have played themselves into next weeks lineup 

MOTM for me tonight was Alex Bannon. For a teenager, the amount of composure he has on the ball and also the physicality to go with it is incredibly impressive. He’s never let us down this season in any of his performances and although he’s had a stint at right back, centre back is where he looks strongest. Would seem incredibly harsh to drop him next week and if it were against any other  striker that wasn’t Akinyemi, I’d be inclined to keep him in but I just feel you need Fox back that encounter. Him and Kilday dealt with him brilliantly last time out 

What’s clear is that I think Stephen Eze is miles down the pecking order now. Been a liability all season and if I were Coyle, I’d be looking to get him moved on in the summer and off the wage bill 

Edited by qpfc

15 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

So.....given the teams you mentioned....we're talking about operational expenditure?

No, we are talking about teams that can still realistically win the league.

Only "high point" was seeing that 50+ Falkirk fanny with the baseball bat outside the away end get it taken off him and leathered...play stupid games win stupid prizes.

They then followed two Accies fans minding their own business heading for the train and were soon despatched  again once other Accies fans saw what was happening.

Quite why  a mob of them turned up at this game is a mystery, but hey ho.

As for the game, it was always going to be a 1-0 win and Rankin's insistence on playing guys out of position cost us again with a terrible clearance by a player playing out of position with his wrong foot leading to the goal.

We have the worst set of "strikers" in the League which is why we are where we are.Still, a competent Manager would have made pre-emptive changes and secured two 0-0 draws this week.

Utterly soul destroying as a blind man can see what is coming but these clowns can't.

Absolutely buzzing for Brian Rice's Alloa to condemn us to League One. There's not even a hint of a backbone in that team that can convince me we're not fucked.

A shambles. f**k McGowan and the rest of them.

As for Queen's Park, good luck to them for the rest of the season. They weren't great tonight by any stretch but they did what they had to to keep their title hopes alive.

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Absolutely buzzing for Brian Rice's Alloa to condemn us to League One. There's not even a hint of a backbone in that team that can convince me we're not fucked.

A shambles. f**k McGowan and the rest of them.

As for Queen's Park, good luck to them for the rest of the season. They weren't great tonight by any stretch but they did what they had to to keep their title hopes alive.

I thought you defended well enough for most of the game, just not offering much of a threat at the other end. Sort that and I think you will be fine to stay up.

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I thought you defended well enough for most of the game, just not offering much of a threat at the other end. Sort that and I think you will be fine to stay up.

You're not wrong, obviously, but given we've not managed to sort that in the previous 33 games I've very little confidence we will sort it in the last 3.

We've beaten every lower league side we've played this season which should offer some hope for the playoffs, but they are a different kettle of fish, and we still need to not finish bottom too.

We're fucked. If not this season then next season as there will be zero investment in the first team over the summer.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

There's an air of menace about Williamson as he chases down defenders. It's beautiful to watch.

One up front isn't working when it's not Simon Murray. I hope we gamble on two up front against Ayr.

To be fair, Murray was poor on his own all of last season. Apart from the play-offs.

10 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Only "high point" was seeing that 50+ Falkirk fanny with the baseball bat outside the away end get it taken off him and leathered...play stupid games win stupid prizes.

They then followed two Accies fans minding their own business heading for the train and were soon despatched  again once other Accies fans saw what was happening.

Quite why  a mob of them turned up at this game is a mystery, but hey ho.

Word on the street is Falkirk fans have marked your team as opponents in the play-offs. They’re probably too thick to know their first game will be against third place in L1. Probably had a spotter in the ground. Must have been over quickly though. I thought maybe the rozzers were on standby for your lads having a go at the directors.👊🇦🇹

Half-time and I was dreading a replay of Arbroath a few weeks ago. The introduction of Davidson, enforced rather than tactical, helped greatly though. With no change to our shape at that point he took the game to Accies and suddenly we started looking more like the team we lost a month ago. The lack of composure and adventure by our forward midfield needs sorted immediately. Dom was the best of the three but still shy of his best. Jarrett had a couple of gos but not enough to make a difference. Savoury was poor again, and for the same reasons; lack of drive, not facing his opponent’s goal and his loss-of-possession ratio must be frightening. Thankfully he found one good hit to win us the game. Still, I’d be considering a front three of Jarrett, Davidson and Thomas, assuming Thomson is okay. 

Best news of the night, scraped result aside, was the combination of Kilday and Bannon. Don’t know how long Bannon’s been out but he played like a veteran last night. Like Boateng in midfield, Bannon makes up for his smaller physique with great reading of the game and a quiet-assassin approach to his opponent. Tough call for Coyle next week.

Scary first half. Much, much closer to our previous best level in the second. QP still have the longest win streak of the season. If we can improve on the second-half model, we can still do this.

25 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Half-time and I was dreading a replay of Arbroath a few weeks ago. The introduction of Davidson, enforced rather than tactical, helped greatly though. With no change to our shape at that point he took the game to Accies and suddenly we started looking more like the team we lost a month ago. The lack of composure and adventure by our forward midfield needs sorted immediately. Dom was the best of the three but still shy of his best. Jarrett had a couple of gos but not enough to make a difference. Savoury was poor again, and for the same reasons; lack of drive, not facing his opponent’s goal and his loss-of-possession ratio must be frightening. Thankfully he found one good hit to win us the game. Still, I’d be considering a front three of Jarrett, Davidson and Thomas, assuming Thomson is okay. 

Best news of the night, scraped result aside, was the combination of Kilday and Bannon. Don’t know how long Bannon’s been out but he played like a veteran last night. Like Boateng in midfield, Bannon makes up for his smaller physique with great reading of the game and a quiet-assassin approach to his opponent. Tough call for Coyle next week.

Scary first half. Much, much closer to our previous best level in the second. QP still have the longest win streak of the season. If we can improve on the second-half model, we can still do this.

I thought Bannon had a great game too but I would be hesitant to put a 18 year old laddie out against Akinyemi. Here's hoping Charlie is available next week.

24 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I thought Bannon had a great game too but I would be hesitant to put a 18 year old laddie out against Akinyemi. Here's hoping Charlie is available next week.

He is, it was a two game suspension.