Montrose v Peterhead 15/04/23

Off to Links Park tomorrow, a ground where we haven't won since 2017, where Jim McInally decided to call it quits after our last visit which included two own goals, on our third managerial appointment of the season and wearing an away strip we have never won in. The bookies have us at 9/1 for a win. Sounds like easy money.

A dreadful 2nd half with little in the way of entertainment for a League 1 game.  Mo did enough to collect the 3 points with a decent 1st half.  P'head got a goal and have to be happy about that as it never appeared a possibility for 88 minutes.

Comfortable win for a Montrose side who rarely got out of third gear. Peterhead worked hard and were quite well organised but had absolutely nothing going forward.

Hard work and organisation are no use if basic errors are committed. Brown and Bilsland left it to one another to deal with a looping cross & Gardyne was happy to nod home as a result of this miscommunication. That was the difference between the sides at half time.

Second half was poor fayre all told. Peterhead keeper McKenzie, clad in a bright orange strip with a shattered bathroom tile pattern, made some fine stops, one at his near post from a Webster header being the pick of them. He could do nothing about the second though, a rapid counter attack which saw Paul Watson, of all people, bearing down on goal. His low shot brushed McKenzie’s right palm on the way into the bottom right hand corner, 2-0.

Shanks got a late consolation from close range but Peterhead had lost in their minds as soon as the first went in. Neither Fosu or Oyinsan was anywhere to be seen, these big guys usually give Peterhead a physical presence & ability to hold the ball up, but without that they carried little if any threat. Shanks on his own was anonymous despite the late strike.

Not a game that will live long in the memory but pleasant enough in the sun and not freezing at a game for the first time since late October so will take that.

Montrose need four or five new players to be competitive next term in my opinion. The squad needs refreshed . As for Peterhead, this pretty much confirms automatic relegation. Even a win against Clyde at Balmoor will only prolong the agony as it really is hard to see this team winning twice in the remaining fixtures. Suspect a big clear-out and a new manager will make for a busy summer in the Blue Toon.

Funny how times change, 10-15 years ago a game against Peterhead was always a nailed on 6-0 drubbing, now they can barely lay a glove on us. They look a complete rabble, and McKenzie kept the score down in all honesty. 

Finally saw a bit of what caught the manager's eye regarding Machado today, but not too much else to get wildly excited about, bank the win, next. Refresh for us in July, absolute wrecking ball rebuild for them.

Absolute borefest of a win today against the worst Peterhead side I have seen in my time.No much to report apart from Rory trying to get one over Brown and vice versa,they were going at it all game quite funny so it was.

Was expecting us to have a real go for the win but it never got off the ground. Not sure if the 3 games in a week left us fatigued but were just not at the races. The ref was not biased today but was just terrible for both side. We certainly missed Oyinson up front to give us a target to play off but good to see Shanks get his goal as he always works hard but needs to be in the box rather than all over the field.. Dont ourselves or Clyde will be bothering yous next season.

32 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Was expecting us to have a real go for the win but it never got off the ground. Not sure if the 3 games in a week left us fatigued but were just not at the races. The ref was not biased today but was just terrible for both side. We certainly missed Oyinson up front to give us a target to play off but good to see Shanks get his goal as he always works hard but needs to be in the box rather than all over the field.. Dont ourselves or Clyde will be bothering yous next season.

A like Shanks what I've seen of him works hard and in a better team I've no doubt he would get a few goals.L2 next year with a new manager might be what you guys need at the moment,shadow of Peterhead teams over the years.Anyone been linked or rumoured with the job?

9 minutes ago, mo83 said:

A like Shanks what I've seen of him works hard and in a better team I've no doubt he would get a few goals.L2 next year with a new manager might be what you guys need at the moment,shadow of Peterhead teams over the years.Anyone been linked or rumoured with the job?

Said to someone a while glad we are not Paying Kieron on mileage as he never stops. Pretty sure nobody will be annouced for the manager until the season is finished. Had two complete teams this season none of which was able to turn things round. There has been a big improvement in the last few weeks but the Edinburgh then Dunfermline games looked to have taken their toll on us today.

8 hours ago, maz1974 said:

Highlights are a bit unfair to Peterhead, who had more of the game than shown. 

Not really.  When they had posession in the second half (their far less bad half) they did nothing with it so can't be described as highlights.   Pedantic i am.  Interesting statistic is that they scored with 100% of their efforts on target

56 minutes ago, MO7S said:

Not really.  When they had posession in the second half (their far less bad half) they did nothing with it so can't be described as highlights.   Pedantic i am.  Interesting statistic is that they scored with 100% of their efforts on target

Lucky for you guys that we only had one then!