League Cup 2023-24

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The whole "knowing what you need to be a best runner-up" thing doesn't seem like a huge deal to me - even major tournaments like the Euros finals and all the qualifying campaigns have the same sort of thing. There's an argument for having each group finishing at the same time though.

You are going to have some job having 5 teams play their last game at the same time.

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You are going to have some job having 5 teams play their last game at the same time.

You might want to read those posts again tbh.

On 01/08/2023 at 13:23, StewartyMac said:

The biggest positive change has been the removal of the regionalisation aspect, as this was making it quite stale, given we were drawing a few of the same teams year after year. It also irked me that we were included in the Northern section, although I understand why. 

Playing against Ayr this year, for example, was a refreshing change. 

Regionalisation was worth a try but I agree that it's a much better competition now it has been ditched. Of all the issues with Scottish football, I'd say that the League Cup group is now a genuine success story. It's an opportunity to progress for teams that start well and/or are prepared in time, while others can use it as an extended warm-up. The bonus point system adds a curious wild card that a straightforward 3-1-0 points system wouldn't have done. 

The only issue I have is that there should only be 4 bye teams regardless of whether Hibs or some other outfit are battling it out with Andorran pub teams in July. Having  to play in both tournaments is justified by being the 5th and weakest qualifier for Europe, leaving 4 2nd placed teams progressing from 8 groups as a neater and more open system (possibly playing off against each other, although I'm not convinced that would work at short notice).

22 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Scottish Cup entry points use this season.

And that to me seems entirely logical as it happens within the season and does not have seeding as such, just entry points.

In my view both competitions using different systems is good and entirely logical.

18 hours ago, virginton said:

You might want to read those posts again tbh.

Regionalisation was worth a try but I agree that it's a much better competition now it has been ditched. Of all the issues with Scottish football, I'd say that the League Cup group is now a genuine success story. It's an opportunity to progress for teams that start well and/or are prepared in time, while others can use it as an extended warm-up. The bonus point system adds a curious wild card that a straightforward 3-1-0 points system wouldn't have done. 

The only issue I have is that there should only be 4 bye teams regardless of whether Hibs or some other outfit are battling it out with Andorran pub teams in July. Having  to play in both tournaments is justified by being the 5th and weakest qualifier for Europe, leaving 4 2nd placed teams progressing from 8 groups as a neater and more open system (possibly playing off against each other, although I'm not convinced that would work at short notice).

The play off round could take place the midweek after the groups or at a push the week after with the top 4 runners up all given home ties or even a 1st v 8th , 2nd v 7th etc pre set draw. How many of these games would require much in the way of security.

• 2 weeks later...

Any danger of VAR being used at the Premiership grounds this weekend, outwith the TV games? 

If it's like the Scottish Cup last season, it will be up to the two teams to agree to it, and pay for it, so I'm guessing not.

Rangers v Livingston will obviously be televised. 

Then a toss up between Kilmarnock v Hearts and Ross County v Aberdeen I think (assuming it’s only two ties).

Rangers v Livingston can be the Tuesday so no issues with picking any of the other games if they have to be Wednesday (Ross County v Aberdeen already does). 

22 hours ago, The Master said:

Rangers v Livingston can be the Tuesday so no issues with picking any of the other games if they have to be Wednesday (Ross County v Aberdeen already does). 

Surely Rangers v Livi can't be the Tuesday if Rangers are in the Europa League? The first group stage game would be on Thursday 21st, which would mean they'd have to play their league game on Sunday 24th.