11 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I think Cochrane was lucky not to get a red at the time but, after the referee has deemed it a yellow, there shouldn't have been enough for VAR to overrule it.

You could argue it either way for how clear a goal scoring opportunity it is and I'd edge more towards red than yellow but it isn't completely clear cut.

This is it. You can reasonably debate whether that should be a red or yellow in the first place, but whichever decision the referee makes is therefore not a clear and obvious error. There's absolutely no way VAR should be getting involved.

2 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Why do they literally never tell the var official to gtf and have the courage of their convictions to stick with their own judgement in subjective situations like this?.

They did when they wrongly sent off Jeggo then refused to take it to VAR.

5 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Depends on what the referee tells the VAR, if he describes the incident as something different to what the footage shows then that's more reason for the VAR to get involved. You can obviously see from a freeze frame of the foul that the referee may have mistakenly thought there was a covering defender. But take the defender making the foul out of the equation and there's no way you would say that the attacker did not have an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

From law 12, the following must be considered:

• distance between the offence and the goal (edge of the box)
  • general direction of the play (towards goal)
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball (the ball bounces on the penalty area line and would've been controlled by the attacker)
  • location and number of defenders (other defender is 6 yards away and not catching the attacker)

heartsred.jpg

Don't know how you arrive at point 4 since the attacker does not have the ball under control and it is a fair distance away from him and arguably as close to the next defender.

6 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Personally think the red was harsh but Collum being Collum, he gets himself involved unnecessarily and when you see the ref going over to the monitor you know the original decision is getting overturned.

Why do they literally never tell the var official to gtf and have the courage of their convictions to stick with their own judgement in subjective situations like this?.

I think I’ve only ever seen that happen once; during the last Workd Cup, as I recall.

The weird thing about VAR is that the ref doesn't automatically go to the monitor as soon as the game is stopped for a proper check.

Let the original ref go over and make the decision instead of the guy in the VAR room re-reffing the game an basically delivering their decision to the ref with a photo.

Had to watch Clancy yesterday stand in the centre circle with one finger in his ear and his thumb up his arse as he is getting narated through replays of a nothing tackle. Would have took him no time to jog to the side of the park and look himself. We could have saved ourselves about 3 minutes

8 minutes ago, Rugster said:

If you think that incident is on the edge of the box and the nearest defender is 6 yards away you need your eyes tested. 

Anything around the edge of the box beyond the last defender is going to meet that bullet point for consideration of DOGSO - the ball bounces on the line. I mean how close do you have to be one on one with the goalkeeper for it to be considered a goal scoring opportunity?

Ok, probably 5 yards then - have a look at the grass cut lines on the pitch which are 6 yards...

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not sure where the "not catching the attacker" certainty comes from either tbh. 

From the replays, the defender is barely catching the attacker beforehand and he's going to have further to run than the attacker who despite being fouled still gets to the ball first.

3 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Don't know how you arrive at point 4 since the attacker does not have the ball under control and it is a fair distance away from him and arguably as close to the next defender.

Eh? The other defender is 5 yards behind, how can they be "arguably as close"? And it's the "likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball" - the attacker is going to run onto the ball on the line so I'd say it's very likely they are going to gain control of the ball.