1 minute ago, gannonball said:

It was a goal scoring opportunity but got to feel for Cochrane as he didn't seem to know a great deal about it.

Was it a clear goalscoring opportunity though?

High bouncing ball wide of goal. Maeda still had fucking loads to do to even get a shot away. And thats not even counting the fact its Maeda who has the first touch of a brick wall.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

It was a goal scoring opportunity but got to feel for Cochrane as he didn't seem to know a great deal about it.

I can see why it technically should be a red but it's the softest red card I've seen in a long time.  Without VAR is there really much complaint about a yellow card when it looks an unintentional coming together?

That's a disgrace.   There's zero chance live or on video you can say that DOGO.  

VAR has completely flipped the decision making of officials from edging on the side of safety to being keen to make harsh decisions,  that's not why it was voted in.  Should Ref gives his decision as normal and VAR intervenes IF they have too. 

1 minute ago, Raven said:

He's not right next to him when the foul is made, he's well behind. But with the ball in the air, he possibly has time to catch up. Harsh red.

Well he was never catching up with Maeda, and that's irrelevant as he fouled him and denied the goalscoring opportunity.

Just now, LuboMoravcik said:

The clear and obvious error is that is was a clear goalscoring opportunity, denied because Maeda was fouled and the referee's initial decision was wrong.

That isn't quite how VAR works, though. Just because the VAR official's subjective view on an incident is different from the on field referee's doesn't mean either is cleary and obviously wrong.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But the ref has seen it as he's given a foul and cautioned him. There is no doubt about what he has seen and/or what he's given a foul for. It's hard then to make a case that he made a "clear and obvious error" with regards to denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity.

That's the issue. It's debatable whether it's a red or not, I don't think it is. But the fact it's debatable is proof that it isn't a clear and obvious error and isn't a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I thought it was the incorrect decision on first viewing but the sideline angle shows Maeda through on goal. It’s denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Don’t like the rule personally and it’s harsh, but I also don’t think Hearts have that much to complain about.

That said, had it not gone to VAR I’m not sure there would have been many complaints either.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But the ref has seen it as he's given a foul and cautioned him. There is no doubt about what he has seen and/or what he's given a foul for. It's hard then to make a case that he made a "clear and obvious error" with regards to denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Doesn’t mean he made the right call though even if he sees it. Maeda is past Cochrane and closest defender is still yard or 2 behind Cochrane which makes him the last man. I don’t make the laws mate but Cochrane is the last man, it is a foul which means it’s a red.

There is also no way that if the roles are reversed you don’t want a red card in that scenario

Just now, Sarto Mutiny said:

Never a red card in a million years  obviously. And the dumb c***s still think there's a conspiracy against them

They’ll probably be looking for a penalty as well. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

That isn't quite how VAR works, though. Just because the VAR official's subjective view on an incident is different from the on field referee's doesn't mean either is cleary and obviously wrong.

You do know that the on field referee has the final say, don't you? VAR advised the referee to take a look again, and the referee realised he got the initial call wrong.

Folk saying it's a goal scoring opportunity are at it eh? It's not under control, it has backspin on it and Rowles was covering ground in a straight line. 

A fucking joke of a decision.  And we'd played pretty well. Fucks our gameplan as well now as we can't press from the front a man down.